Maple Grove Football

gophersfan

Reaction score
They stage a epic comeback tonight on St. Michael-Albertville. They were down 27-10 in the game final minute and scores 19 straight points to win 29-27. Wow. This was in the State tourney QF.

They stage a epic comeback tonight on St. Michael-Albertville. They were down 27-10 in the game final minute and scores 19 straight points to win 29-27. Wow. This was in the State tourney QF.

How did they score 19 in 1-minute?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SportsCenter worthy.

Still waiting on the first "MG's HC should be the head coach at the U" post

Still waiting on the first "MG's HC should be the head coach at the U" post

Maybe an assistant that focuses on how to execute an onside kick without embarrassing yourself?

There was a game in SW MN a couple of weeks ago - a 9-man Section Semi-final, where a team scored 28 unanswered points and the other team never ran an offensive play.
Went like this. Home team was up 38-28 with about 9 minutes left in game. Visitors score TD, recover onside kick. they score another TD. next kickoff is a squib kick that bounces off a kid's leg on the receiving team, and the visitors recover. They go in and score their 3rd consecutive TD. Next kickoff, another squib kick- same thing happens - it bounces off a kid's leg and the visitors recover. They go in and score their 4th consecutive TD and go up 56-38. 4 TD's and the other team never ran a play. Coach of the winning team said it was the craziest thing he's ever seen in almost 25 years of coaching. (would be a better story, but the team that won proceeded to lose the next week in the section finals.)

Wow! Thanks for the post and the link Johnny Boy. You can fast forward to the end but here's a recap:
27 to 10, 59 seconds to go, ball on the 18, TD pass on 4th and 8. PAT blocked 27 to 16
MG recovers onside kick at 49
1 play, 49 yard TD pass with catch and long run down the sideline
MG try for 2 failed... 27-22
MG recovers onside at 49 again!
1st down to 37 yd line, TO with 36 sec
Pass to 31 TO
Incomplete pass, 22 sec and 3rd and 4
Sideline pass for 1st down at 23 with 16 sec
False start penalty, back to 28 yd line
Pass to the 1 yard line, calmly, quickly get to line of scrimmage and spike it... 7 seconds remain at 1
Seemingly, obviously out of timeouts
MG calls a sweet misdirection run that allows the back to waltz into the end zone for the victory
Extra point try good and 29-27 win
59 seconds: Down 17 points...victory!
MG likely takes on Eden Prairie

Wow- thanks for the link. Is it illegal for a team to have more than 4 players on the front line for the receiving team in MN? Gotta wonder what the heck the coaches for the losing team were thinking!?

I was thinking the same thing based on how they lined up for the second onside kick. I can see getting burned by the first one but you have to be ready for them to try the exact same thing on the second one because this is high school football and it is really unlikely that they have a kicker with multiple good onside kick options that they have worked on. How you don't overload the middle, have your front line defend and your second layer go for the recovery is beyond me after they just did it to them on the previous possession.

Gotta love high school football though. Those kids on Maple Grove will be talking about that comeback when they are old and grey....

Amazing comeback - but a curious decision at the end. If you're up 28-27 with 4 seconds left, why would you kick the extra point instead of going for two? An extra point does nothing whatsoever, but a 2-point conversion at least protects a tie in the highly unlikely event of a FG. I'd love to know his thought process behind that decision.

Just watched the final 2 minutes. What a comeback.

Have to say though, the final TD should have been flagged as MG didn't have 7 on the line of scrimmage.

Amazing comeback - but a curious decision at the end. If you're up 28-27 with 4 seconds left, why would you kick the extra point instead of going for two? An extra point does nothing whatsoever, but a 2-point conversion at least protects a tie in the highly unlikely event of a FG. I'd love to know his thought process behind that decision.

Do you get 2 points if you run back an extra point in high school? Maybe they thought that there was a greater chance of a fumble or pick getting returned off of an offensive play rather than having a kick blocked and returned? Neither one makes any sense, but that's about all I can come up with.

Do you get 2 points if you run back an extra point in high school? Maybe they thought that there was a greater chance of a fumble or pick getting returned off of an offensive play rather than having a kick blocked and returned? Neither one makes any sense, but that's about all I can come up with.

I thought the same thing but if that's the case they should have just taken a knee on the conversion attempt.

I wondered that too, but college is the only level at which you can do that. In the NFL and HS, any unsuccessful conversion attempt (1 or 2) is a dead ball.

If it's blocked the play is blown dead.

Maybe an assistant that focuses on how to execute an onside kick without embarrassing yourself?

HS onside rules are completely different. NCAA has made OSK nearly impossible. Kicking team can't touch/engage/block receiving team until ball is touched.

I wondered that too, but college is the only level at which you can do that. In the NFL and HS, any unsuccessful conversion attempt (1 or 2) is a dead ball.

nope. to fix your statement, only HS point attempts are dead. Also, missed FGs are treated like punts, which is interesting.

Wow. I'm watching it right now. Amazing that they're talking about when it's 27-10 with a minute left, stuff like "some of these Maple Grove seniors, playing their last games," running the ball with the clock running, saying "this may be the last play for Maple Grove. Stunning & crazy. Can't imagine what STMA kids are thinking right now.

Of course, now Maple Grove will get to be cannon fodder for EP next weekend, but who cares about that right now.....

Wow. I'm watching it right now. Amazing that they're talking about when it's 27-10 with a minute left, stuff like "some of these Maple Grove seniors, playing their last games," running the ball with the clock running, saying "this may be the last play for Maple Grove. Stunning & crazy. Can't imagine what STMA kids are thinking right now.

Of course, now Maple Grove will get to be cannon fodder for EP next weekend, but who cares about that right now.....

With the high school rules of being able to block out the receiving team, they should try an onside kick every time.

I don't know what the rules are, but the ball is bouncing more than twice on that squib, so any fair catch rule that may exist wouldn't matter....

Also going for 2 .. if you run it you've got a better chance to hold on to the ball. Kick it and it could be blocked and returned....

Also going for 2 .. if you run it you've got a better chance to hold on to the ball. Kick it and it could be blocked and returned....

That's what I'm saying, though - you can't return a failed conversion at the HS level.

He had three choices - kneel on the ball, kick, or go for two. All of the decisions are no-risk (because the defense can't return a block/fumble/interception/etc.), but the only one with any additive value is the 2-point conversion. Not at all a big deal either way, but there was only one correct choice to be made out of those available.

Top Bottom