If we move up, who moves down?

CWCWCW

Reaction score
As I look around the Big 10, I don't see a lot of teams that are on a downward trend. Illinois seems to be going nowhere fast, but I would say Minnesota has been better than them recently.
For me, Nebraska appears to be the only team in the Big 10 continuing their downward trend. The coach doesn't seem to fit. They haven't been a Power since joining the Big 10. Do recruits relate to 1999, which was their last championship.?
Other than that, I think PJ has his work cut out for him. Any guesses as to which teams may move down the standings in the next few years?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Teams come out of now where. Perhaps Illinois with all the freshmen take off next year. Who knows. Hard to predict what will happen.

As I look around the Big 10, I don't see a lot of teams that are on a downward trend. Illinois seems to be going nowhere fast, but I would say Minnesota has been better than them recently.
For me, Nebraska appears to be the only team in the Big 10 continuing their downward trend. The coach doesn't seem to fit. They haven't been a Power since joining the Big 10. Do recruits relate to 1999, which was their last championship.?
Other than that, I think PJ has his work cut out for him. Any guesses as to which teams may move down the standings in the next few years?

You don't worry about who is trending up or down.
You look at who's at the top.
You figure out how to beat them.
Everybody in the middle will fall into place.

Sadly I think Minnesota may move down. It seems that we're down until 2020. Sigh...

Sadly I think Minnesota may move down. It seems that we're down until 2020. Sigh...

This is sort of a horrible thing to ponder as fan of this program, as Illinois is the only team that appears to be stuck on the mat with Lovie Smith.

Illinois- great coaches, not a great fit with CFB, most likely to keep being a dumpster fire

Purdue - really good offensive coach, tough competition for recruits, system might overcome talent issues, may rise in a Tiller like way sooner than later

Nebraska- Huge expectations, huge budget, great facilities, will always rise up in a hurry with right coach,

Iowa - Should be candidate to drop down, but great defense and great O lines tend to drive a team or at least keep it from being a bottom feeder

Wisconsin - apparently they will be good or great for the rest of my lifetime, even though they should be he equal of Minnesota or worse- I guess they hired Barry and he had Maturi, guess who wins that

Northwestern- this should be the team to drop, and it seems like they might and then they rise up again and start to resemble the Stanford Harbaugh Teams (with a spread)

The reality is we have no idea what might happen in the next few years, nor does Fleck. I think Fleck has a problem on his hands in the West with very good if not great programs to contend with, and no talent advantage like he had at Western Michigan to carry him.

This is sort of a horrible thing to ponder as fan of this program, as Illinois is the only team that appears to be stuck on the mat with Lovie Smith.

Illinois- great coaches, not a great fit with CFB, most likely to keep being a dumpster fire

Purdue - really good offensive coach, tough competition for recruits, system might overcome talent issues, may rise in a Tiller like way sooner than later

Nebraska- Huge expectations, huge budget, great facilities, will always rise up in a hurry with right coach,

Iowa - Should be candidate to drop down, but great defense and great O lines tend to drive a team or at least keep it from being a bottom feeder

Wisconsin - apparently they will be good or great for the rest of my lifetime, even though they should be he equal of Minnesota or worse- I guess they hired Barry and he had Maturi, guess who wins that

Northwestern- this should be the team to drop, and it seems like they might and then they rise up again and start to resemble the Stanford Harbaugh Teams (with a spread)

The reality is we have no idea what might happen in the next few years, nor does Fleck. I think Fleck has a problem on his hands in the West with very good if not great programs to contend with, and no talent advantage like he had at Western Michigan to carry him.

Good job. Nebraska will surely bounce back with a new coach, given its facilities and football-only identity. We are on a rough road, but Iowa and Wisconsin were in worse shape when they hired Hayden Fry and Barry Alvarez, respectively. Both built dynasties.

Wisconsin is already on the way down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A 4 win, sub-.500 Minnesota team with serious flaws is favored to beat Nebraska this weekend. Ever think you would see that?

Stuff changes.

... Nebraska appears to be the only team in the Big 10 continuing their downward trend. The coach doesn't seem to fit. They haven't been a Power since joining the Big 10.

Nebraska won the Legends division in 2014. It included MN, MI, MI St, IA, NW and NE. Probably a tougher division than the west. Not saying they were a "power house" but they had success, albeit short.

I would predict WI, NE, IA all struggle over the next 5-10 years relative to their recent records. In that order.

I know, I know, pick me, pick me! ...If we move up, each team we move above moves down a spot? Ya? Or do other teams have to move down for us to move up??? [emoji848]

Iowa is on a downward track, much faster if Campbell stays at Iowa State and starts signing the best local Iowa recruits.

Since 2011, statistically the Gophers averaged fifth place finish in the B1G West.

Currently, they are in fifth place in term s of average recruit rankings. They have gotten better recruits, but the competition also improved their average recruit rankings.

If PJ Fleck can snag a couple of legitimate 4* players in each recruiting cycle, that can be a game changer. Top on my list is a legitimate top QB. Maybe it will be PJF that breaks the trend line and move up above forever fifth place finish.

I know, I know, pick me, pick me! ...If we move up, each team we move above moves down a spot? Ya? Or do other teams have to move down for us to move up??? [emoji848]

We're only a few minutes from being in the conversation for one of the playoff spots.

Also, we're only terrible this year because that's the required first step towards winning a national championship. If we don't suck this year, we're relegated to mediocrity (aka 8-9 win seasons, playing Wisconsin for B1G West titles, and Citrus and Holiday bowls) for all eternity.

I don't know why we're so worried about all the temporary placeholders ahead of us until 2019 (or is it 2020 or 2021 now?).

Top Bottom