Hero Sports: P.J. Fleck Has a Fan in Mike Riley

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Doughty:

Riley, 64, is old enough to be the 36-year-old Fleck's father. When Riley got his first FBS​ head coaching job at Oregon State in 1997, Fleck was a sophomore at Sugar Grove (Ill.) High School. Riley typically roams the sidelines with his arms folded or hands in his pockets and allows his assistants to manage the game, only occasionally interjecting himself into conversations with civil discourse. Fleck bounces around the position-group huddles, jumps on his players and acts like a 10-year-old at his first football game.

The two will face off for the first time on Saturday when Nebraska visits Minnesota. Both teams are 4-5 overall and in dire need of a win -- especially Riley, who's battling dismissal rumors after two subpar campaigns and a unconvincing start in 2017. And while the Gophers have limped to a 1-5 start in Big Ten play, Riley admires what Fleck is doing in his first season.

"I've watched his teams at Western Michigan from afar, not personally live but video and film of his teams," Riley told HERO Sports this week. "I think what we're seeing is a reflection of the kind of the program he runs."

https://herosports.com/college-football/mike-riley-pj-fleck-minnesota-nebraska-ahah

Go Gophers!!

Yawn. Fitzgerald also said Brewster was one of the best coaches head coaches in the country (and won the PST if I remember correctly for saying it). It's rare a coach says anything but positives.

Yawn. Fitzgerald also said Brewster was one of the best coaches head coaches in the country (and won the PST if I remember correctly for saying it). It's rare a coach says anything but positives.

I recall Jim Tressel praising Brewster... i'm pretty sure every coach does this before every game as tradition.

I recall Jim Tressel praising Brewster... i'm pretty sure every coach does this before every game as tradition.

No big deal. It's called respecting your opponent. Coaches are smart enough not to give opponents bulletin board material.

No big deal. It's called respecting your opponent. Coaches are smart enough not to give opponents bulletin board material.

That and ... there's a good chance they'll be asking one of these guys for a job sometime too...

Top Bottom