The teams the Gophers beat...

Great Plains Gopher

Reaction score
All have losing records and are a combined 10-26. Gophers also lost to two teams with losing records, Maryland and Purdue, and Saturday play another team with a losing record (Nebraska is 4-5). Don't know what this says about the "culture," but I don't think Kill or Claeys would have this sad a record this year. Beating Nebraska would help a lot.

Should we go back and do this for all of Kill and Claeys years?

All have losing records and are a combined 10-26. Gophers also lost to two teams with losing records, Maryland and Purdue, and Saturday play another team with a losing record (Nebraska is 4-5). Don't know what this says about the "culture," but I don't think Kill or Claeys would have this sad a record this year. Beating Nebraska would help a lot.

Last year's regular season's wins were vs teams that totaled a record of 28-62 for a winning percentage of .31. That included a 4-7 FCS team.
Without the FCS team is was 24-55 for a winning percentage of .30. If I add the bowl game that bumps it to 32-60 for a winning percentage of .35.

This year 10-26 equals a winning percentage of .28, so pretty similar to last year's regular season.

Should we go back and do this for all of Kill and Claeys years?

HUGE difference from what Kill took over to what Fleck took over.

PJ didnt have to start all over and rebuild a program, he simply chose to...and this is the result.

Last year's regular season's wins were vs teams that totaled a record of 28-62 for a winning percentage of .31. That included a 4-7 FCS team.
Without the FCS team is was 24-55 for a winning percentage of .30. If I add the bowl game that bumps it to 32-60 for a winning percentage of .35.

This year 10-26 equals a winning percentage of .28, so pretty similar to last year's regular season.

As usual you have an odd way of looking at things, and by odd I mean wrong. The difference, GWG, is we lost to Purdue And Maryland, both of which are likely to finish with losing records. Maryland will likely have a worse record than last year. Purdue is somewhat better but still a bad team.

Gopher fans got used to beating teams we should beat. It's that simple. Trying to average together the aggregate win and loss totals of our opponents is silly. Each game is a separate entity.

As usual you have an odd way of looking at things, and by odd I mean wrong. The difference, GWG, is we lost to Purdue And Maryland, both of which are likely to finish with losing records. Maryland will likely have a worse record than last year. Purdue is somewhat better but still a bad team.

Gopher fans got used to beating teams we should beat. It's that simple. Trying to average together the aggregate win and loss totals of our opponents is silly. Each game is a separate entity.

It's really sad and telling that all I did is list out statistics/facts and you call them wrong.

I know some people reject this, and that's fine, but for myself personally, I do consider the "closeness" of loses to count for something.

Last week was a crushing defeat. No argument there.

But the rest of the four Big Ten loses: Maryland and Purdue were easily winnable games, Iowa was winnable, and even Michigan St with Croft playing out of his mind had a small chance to pull off the comeback. That all gets glossed over when saying "yeah, we're 4-5".

It's really sad and telling that all I did is list out statistics/facts and you call them wrong.

Statistics can be skewed to make just about any point you want. Of course, no one knows that better than you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know some people reject this, and that's fine, but for myself personally, I do consider the "closeness" of loses to count for something.

Last week was a crushing defeat. No argument there.

But the rest of the four Big Ten loses: Maryland and Purdue were easily winnable games, Iowa was winnable, and even Michigan St with Croft playing out of his mind had a small chance to pull off the comeback. That all gets glossed over when saying "yeah, we're 4-5".

So does Coach Fleck.

PJ didnt have to start all over and rebuild a program, he simply chose to...and this is the result.

Chose to? You act as if PJ came in and had a fire sale. The freshman class is much better than the one Clayes had recruited. 90% of this team is the exact same team Claeys would have had. Which is funny because if TC wasn't fired we would all be in here complaing about them passing up a chance at a big name

The point is...your numbers don't spell out why fans are disappointed. Similar to the team talent rankings it is a nearly useless statistic. If we defeat Wisconsin does anyone care what the aggregate win percentage of our earlier opponents was?

Last year at WMU, the combined record of teams they beat was 73-89 (.45). That includes a 9-3 FCS team. Take that out and you're at .42. The records are what they are, you can't control how the teams on your schedule do.

The point is...your numbers don't spell out why fans are disappointed. Similar to the team talent rankings it is a nearly useless statistic. If we defeat Wisconsin does anyone care what the aggregate win percentage of our earlier opponents was?

It's not useless and of course you still don't get it. Those numbers spell out exactly why fans were disappointed last year too.

The freshman class is much better than the one Clayes had recruited.

Is that so? You wouldn't be talking about a class that has had 4 players actually play versus a class that wasn't even completed yet would you? Keep the narrative going.....

I’ll take Coach Fleck over Coach Kill and Coach Claeys. Why? Coach Kill can’t physically handle being a head coach and never won to the degree Fleck already has, and I love Coach Kill big time. Claeys? Claeys rode Kill’s coattails for 1 year nicely. Claeys is a competent coach. I like Claeys, but he didn’t show he could command a team last year and handle the spotlight. He also didn’t show he could recruit or generate enthusiasm. Claeys got a chance, but he didn’t pass the test. I’ll take Fleck over Claeys all day everyday and so would the vast majority of sane college football experts.

So, to recap, we’re in a better place then we have been in a long time. Ya, this year has been disappointing, but Fleck is going to do it his way and his way is going to be better than Mason’s, Brewster’s, Kill’s, and Claeys’.

This year has seen a significant setback. I hold out hope that we don't get worse before getting better. No one will ever know what the year would look like if we kept the other staff and it no longer matters. The only thing I do know is that we won't be needing to expand the stadium anytime soon.

Yeah but we beat Middle Tennessee who beat Syracuse who beat Clemson. So....we got that going for us.

Arguably all of Alabama's wins in recent years has been over lesser teams.

Wrong. Fleck did have to rebuild. 9 wins and not sniffing the conference title should not be viewed as the pinnacle for this program. Fleck is putting his systems in place, just like any other new coach does. Everyone is so worried that we aren't mediocre again this year. Instead we are bad, but lets give it some time. Mason, Kill, Claeys, even Brew for a couple years had us at mediocre. It's not that hard to be mediocre, I'm sure Fleck will have us back to the mediocrity you all crave in a year or two. The goal is to get past that. Does taking a step back to achieve that really matter?

Chose to? You act as if PJ came in and had a fire sale. The freshman class is much better than the one Clayes had recruited. 90% of this team is the exact same team Claeys would have had. Which is funny because if TC wasn't fired we would all be in here complaing about them passing up a chance at a big name

+1

I'm going to come right out and say I think if we had Mitch, we'd have two more wins than we do. The QB cupboard was bare.

Top Bottom