ESPN: Bob Knight criticizes John Wooden over UCLA recruiting practices

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

Saying, "I've never been a Wooden fan," former Indiana coach Bob Knight criticized Hall of Fame UCLA coach John Wooden over the Bruins' recruiting practices during their historic run.

Knight ripped UCLA for allowing booster Sam Gilbert to violate NCAA rules while he attempted to recruit players to the school.

"I have a lot of respect for Wooden as a coach, how he coached. He was a good coach," Knight said in an interview on "Undeniable with Joe Buck" that will air Wednesday (8 p.m. ET, Audience). "But from then on, and I don't mind saying it, I don't respect Wooden, because he allowed Sam Gilbert to do whatever it took to recruit kids.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...-john-wooden-ucla-bruins-recruiting-practices

Go Gophers!!

So this guy who physically and mentally abused players, staff, media, faculty, administration and students and was a world-class bully, is suddenly the moral compass we all strive to follow? It's time for this perpetually angry gasbag to pack it up and go away.

So this guy who physically and mentally abused players, staff, media, faculty, administration and students and was a world-class bully, is suddenly the moral compass we all strive to follow? It's time for this perpetually angry gasbag to pack it up and go away.

One of their actions made the playing field (or court) uneven and led to a ridiculous winning streak and tons of national titles. I have a much bigger problem with paying players/recruits than a coach yelling at his players too much. Pretty sure none of Knight's transgressions had to do with competitive balance

One of their actions made the playing field (or court) uneven and led to a ridiculous winning streak and tons of national titles. I have a much bigger problem with paying players/recruits than a coach yelling at his players too much. Pretty sure none of Knight's transgressions had to do with competitive balance
Correct.

Id rather have my kid play for wooden, but knights record has more integrity than wooden’s

Right. Let’s make the source the issue.

But he's not wrong

Top Bottom