SC Upstate Stuff

SelectionSunday

Reaction score

I'd like to see the Gophers crush the Spartans and also to see the Spartans win their conference

$220 for court side season tickets for both men's and women's, along with a "donation" of $125. I'm jealous.

Article from the Spartanburg Herald-Journal (goupstate.com)

USC Upstate opens at No. 15 Minnesota Friday night

By Todd Shanesy
Staff Writer

Posted Nov 8, 2017 at 6:11 PM
Updated Nov 8, 2017 at 10:50 PM

Even with the graduation of seven-footer Michael Buchanan, a first-team all-conference center, USC Upstate basketball didn’t seem to have any big concerns.
But as the Spartans head into the 2017-18 season, there is concern with the bigs.

USC Upstate has lost its two best post players. Philip Whittington, who shared time and even started ahead of Buchanan a dozen times last season, transferred to Kent State. Jacob Schulte, who took a red shirt last year as a junior when it was going to be Buchanan and Whittington at that position, suffered a season-ending knee injury a few weeks ago.

The Spartans will start true freshman Isaiah Anderson (6-foot-8) at center Friday night in the season-opener at Minnesota (8 p.m.), which is ranked No. 15 by the Associated Press and in the USA Today coaches’ vote.

“Isaiah is about to get some on-the-job training,” said USC Upstate head coach Kyle Perry, an eight-year assistant who was promoted last month when Eddie Payne retired.
What has been an inside-out approach to the offense, passing it first into the post and working the rim from there, is certainly not the plan now.

“We’ve had to change,” Perry said. “We’ve had to spread the floor to keep guys who can shoot on the floor and try to give us an advantage that way. You’re not going to see us throw it down on the block like we did last year. It’s going to be a different kind of game for us.”

The Spartans certainly have the perimeter players to make that happen. Mike Cunningham (13.4 points, 103 assists) was named preseason all-conference. He had nine 3-pointers in one game last season. Malik Moore (10.9 points, 5.2 rebounds) had a 28-point game and led in scoring six times. Deion Holmes, who left Chesnee High as the second-leading scorer in state history, is a former all-league freshman. Jure Span is a solid ball-handler who played 23 minutes per game a year ago and is sure to see an increase.

“I expect a lot of Mike,” Perry said. “I expect him to be our leader. I expect him to be the one to get us going. He has to be a leader and, honestly, it’s still a work in progress right now. It’s a new chapter for him and I want him to embrace that role. I want him to be that guy.”

Ramel Thompkins (8.2 points, 4.8 rebounds) started all but six games at the forward spot and ranked third in minutes. He and backup center Carson Smith are the only seniors returning from a team that went 17-16 overall last season, 7-7 in the Atlantic Sun Conference. The Spartans lost the last five games of the season, including home games in the league tournament against Kennesaw State and in the CIT mid-major event against Furman. Upstate last month was picked in a coaches’ poll to finish among the eight A-Sun teams.

“It’s been fun but challenging to put things together,” Perry said. “You have some parts taken away and then you try to plug holes and piece it together the best you can. It’s going to be an ongoing process.”

http://www.goupstate.com/news/20171108/usc-upstate-opens-at-no-15-minnesota-friday-night

The new head coach been there for a few years as an assistant. So, it's not quite so alarming when you read he was hired October 17th.

Top Bottom