Myron Medcalf: Bold predictions for this college basketball season (MN will win BT)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Medcalf:

4. Minnesota and Richard Pitino will end the drought, win the Big Ten
Last fall, Pitino entered what seemed like a season to save his job. In May, however, he signed an extension through the 2021-22 season after leading the Gophers to the NCAA tournament. A five-game losing streak ruined Minnesota's Big Ten title hopes, but the Gophers finished strong and played top-25 defense all season. Pitino, the league's reigning coach of the year, brings back his best players from last season (although the Eric Curry season-ending knee injury damages the team's interior depth) and adds intriguing talents Isaiah Washington and Davonte Fitzgerald. Michigan State is the clear favorite in the Big Ten, and the pool of contenders includes Minnesota, Purdue, Northwestern, Maryland and Michigan. It's never easy in the Big Ten. But Pitino could lead Minnesota to its first conference championship since 1997, a title the school vacated due to NCAA violations.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...big-ten-david-padgett-get-full-gig-louisville

Go Gophers!!

Why is Myron writing something positive about the Gophers? I'm confused and concerned.

Thanks for posting the blurb. I wouldn't have read it otherwise as that would violate my policy of never clicking on Myron's links.

The title and last two sentences are inconsistent. He seems to be hedging his bet.

He knows his predictions are never proven right so he's predicting a ship for us to make sure it doesn't happen. It will also set up an epic take down of the program when we don't win it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

And I love how he gets the vacated ship in there too. Good ole Myron. One of these days ESPN will cut back enough where they'll be forced to let him go.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

So he's actually being a passive aggressive d-bag in that blurb.

Okay, that makes more sense. I'm less confused now.

It's still a completely different narrative than the one we're used to. He actually acknowledges some of our strengths. He must have won on pull-tabs or something.

per Medcalf:

4. Minnesota and Richard Pitino will end the drought, win the Big Ten
Last fall, Pitino entered what seemed like a season to save his job. In May, however, he signed an extension through the 2021-22 season after leading the Gophers to the NCAA tournament. A five-game losing streak ruined Minnesota's Big Ten title hopes, but the Gophers finished strong and played top-25 defense all season. Pitino, the league's reigning coach of the year, brings back his best players from last season (although the Eric Curry season-ending knee injury damages the team's interior depth) and adds intriguing talents Isaiah Washington and Davonte Fitzgerald. Michigan State is the clear favorite in the Big Ten, and the pool of contenders includes Minnesota, Purdue, Northwestern, Maryland and Michigan. It's never easy in the Big Ten. But Pitino could lead Minnesota to its first conference championship since 1997, a title the school vacated due to NCAA violations.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...big-ten-david-padgett-get-full-gig-louisville

Go Gophers!!

I think we would have a shot with curry. Without him, I don't think it's possible.

I think myron is ruesse-ing us. He says this is a "bold prediction so that if we win, he can say see I saw it while if we don't, he can tear us down and say we underachieved.

D-bag

I think we would have a shot with curry. Without him, I don't think it's possible.

I think myron is ruesse-ing us. He says this is a "bold prediction so that if we win, he can say see I saw it while if we don't, he can tear us down and say we underachieved.

D-bag

Perhaps like so many of us is excited about this team this year? Why can’t anyone accept that possibility? I don’t understand why a compliment has to be trashed?

Perhaps like so many of us is excited about this team this year? Why can’t anyone accept that possibility? I don’t understand why a compliment has to be trashed?

Because almost everyone on this board detests Myron for his historical pissing on all things Minnesota and Gophers, far beyond anything objective. I agree with the above that he is setting it up for the "you didn't meet my expectations so you're no better than you ever were" motif.

Maybe there is some real conversion after all the layoffs at ESPN. Maybe he is taking heart that purposely offending your audience isn't real good for clicks and not enough clicks means not a job for Myron.

Because almost everyone on this board detests Myron for his historical pissing on all things Minnesota and Gophers, far beyond anything objective. I agree with the above that he is setting it up for the "you didn't meet my expectations so you're no better than you ever were" motif.

Maybe there is some real conversion after all the layoffs at ESPN. Maybe he is taking heart that purposely offending your audience isn't real good for clicks and not enough clicks means not a job for Myron.

+100

Mac,

Look back to all things from myron about umm bball. He just trashes our team and the state beyond reason. It's one thing to be critical. It's another to say that the state itself sucks (referencing his article from earlier this yr about why MN sucks, literally)

The guy took clickbait theory to heart and must have wanted to find those Non mn living here and give them what they wanted: crapping on our school and the U with every article.

Maybe he has changed. However, I doubt it. Once a thief, always a thief.

Top Bottom