STrib: Gophers will have a new look offensive line this week

No linemen, everyone is eligible. Defense has to count to 7 Mississippi before rushing the QB.

per Randy:

When the Gophers face Nebraska on Saturday at TCF Bank Stadium, they'll be doing so with a new-look offensive line.

"It'll be different," P.J. Fleck said during his KFXN-FM radio show Tuesday, declining to elaborate.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...oks-questionable-for-nebraska-game/455996853/

Go Gophers!!
What the heck does that mean? Are they changing schemes midstream? They don't have the personnel to swap out starters.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

What the heck does that mean? Are they changing schemes midstream? They don't have the personnel to swap out starters.

I'm sure it's because Donnell Greene is going to be suspended, and Wyler looked to have a significant knee/ankle injury after getting rolled up...hence the new look.

Fleck got them new shoes for the game...

It’ll be similar to the end of the Michigan game. Schlueter and Calhoun at tackles. Wright, Dovich, Olson interior.

It’ll be similar to the end of the Michigan game. Schlueter and Calhoun at tackles. Wright, Dovich, Olson interior.
So not different then. I think we all figured those 2 would be out. Not sure what happens if any of those starters go down...

So not different then. I think we all figured those 2 would be out. Not sure what happens if any of those starters go down...

There are almost zero remaining OL after that, if you don't count true Freshman.

You've got Quinn Oseland, and looks like he has already played some this year in the interior. Then the only other non-true freshman on the roster is a JUCO transfer named Ben Davis. No idea if he's actually available, as seems like he would've seen the field by now. But maybe he practices on the scout team with the true freshman OL, and isn't ready physically to play in the Big Ten?

There are almost zero remaining OL after that, if you don't count true Freshman.

You've got Quinn Oseland, and looks like he has already played some this year in the interior. Then the only other non-true freshman on the roster is a JUCO transfer named Ben Davis. No idea if he's actually available, as seems like he would've seen the field by now. But maybe he practices on the scout team with the true freshman OL, and isn't ready physically to play in the Big Ten?

With the season at the end. I'd put in a defensive guy in there for the sake of blocking straight, right or left and hope for the best. Not worth giving up a red shirt for a couple games.

Hopefully it won't come to that. It's not like Greene vanished into thin air. Just in the coach's doghouse for a half, maybe the whole game. So then Calhoun is the backup RT (Schlueter sliding over to left if Greene goes out), and Oseland is the backup guard, with (apparently) Olson sliding over to center instead of Dovich ... though I guess both are capable. Then again, I didn't actually check during Michigan game who was playing C and who was playing G. Just assumed Dovich was at C because that's what the depth chart said ... but this week's has Olson at C.

Anyway ...

I'm sure it's because Donnell Greene is going to be suspended, and Wyler looked to have a significant knee/ankle injury after getting rolled up...hence the new look.

Can't believe PJ would punish the whole team by sitting Greene when the other 10 offensive starters are playing their hearts out. What it proves is that PJ isn't interested in wins, just teaching a lesson on how to lose. Really stupid in my opinion. Now if this kind of thing - fighting with ejection - becomes somewhat common, now that is a horse of a different color. Then different forms of punishment are called for.

Can't believe PJ would punish the whole team by sitting Greene when the other 10 offensive starters are playing their hearts out. What it proves is that PJ isn't interested in wins, just teaching a lesson on how to lose. Really stupid in my opinion. Now if this kind of thing - fighting with ejection - becomes somewhat common, now that is a horse of a different color. Then different forms of punishment are called for.

Sarcasm or stupidity?

Let’s not hold our players accountable!
That’ll teach them accountability!

With the season at the end. I'd put in a defensive guy in there for the sake of blocking straight, right or left and hope for the best. Not worth giving up a red shirt for a couple games.

Unless they have a def lineman who works at a spot on offense, I wouldn't want one just thrown out there as they would not know what to do. Which would lead to missed blocks and have a chance to cause more injuries.
Shelter was a pretty good two way player in HS, so he'd might be able to pick up footwork things, but offensive terminology would take time to grasp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm really afraid it's the latter.

Let's not call people stupid just because we disagree with them. People are having a debate over football, why resort to calling people stupid?

Let’s not hold our players accountable!
That’ll teach them accountability!

Oh my! Do you think it is common for coaches to suspend their own players for slapping an opponent's player during a game?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed, there are multiple ways to discipline somebody. Punishing the whole team hardly seems the best choice to me. It's a first offense, he was baited, he made a mistake. Mistakes are how we learn. Doesn't mean sitting and watching is the only punishment possible.

Contrast this to Croft, who did something so horrible he was kicked off the team for weeks...couldn't practice, couldn't be in the building, not on the team. Shortly after he gets re-instated without practicing he's not only the starter but he has to play every snap, no matter how effective or ineffective?

All I'm saying is that PJ does things differently than most all coaches. I'm sure it all makes sense to him but it doesn't to me.

Well with Croft at least ... if Rhoda wasn't going to significantly improve the team's chances of winning, then it makes sense to bench him. He's a senior, so no matter how well he plays this year, he can't help the team moving forward.

It must be that Green and the other QB from Kentucky aren't practicing well enough to be given a shot to play in games this year. So that leaves Croft as the guy they want to build up for next year.

The exact same mentality is why I think they should bench Duke McGhee. Let Huff play strong safety and then an underclassman play free.

Well with Croft at least ... if Rhoda wasn't going to significantly improve the team's chances of winning, then it makes sense to bench him. He's a senior, so no matter how well he plays this year, he can't help the team moving forward.

It must be that Green and the other QB from Kentucky aren't practicing well enough to be given a shot to play in games this year. So that leaves Croft as the guy they want to build up for next year.

The exact same mentality is why I think they should bench Duke McGhee. Let Huff play strong safety and then an underclassman play free.

What an outstanding message to send to the seniors on your team

Top Bottom