Video: Fleck on his critics: "People who want to be negative will always be negative"

Kill/Claeys were playing the big boys very tough, even when losing (beat a ranked Nebraska team in '13 and were not blown out losing to #11 Mich. State and #16 Badgers; in '14, beat a ranked Nebraska team on the road, lost at Madison only 24-34, lost to#8 Ohio State by only 24-31; in '15, lost to 2nd-ranked TCU only 17-23, lost to #15 Michigan 26-29 on the infamous bad call on the 2-yard line instead of tying with a field goal; lost to #1 Ohio State 14-28 at Columbus, and lost to unbeaten and #8 Iowa on the road, 35-40. Admittedly, these are mostly losses - as were the close losses last year to Penn State, Nebraska and Wisconsin, but we all remember the 58-7 blowouts in other decades whenever we played a highly ranked team). Kill was a QB away from getting to the B1G conference game several years, but he never recruited or developed that guy. One or two players on offense can make a huge difference. This year's team is 118th in passing, 119th in total offense. No improvement there, and they are losing the games they should win, which Kill generally did not lose.

I spit my coffee when I read that.

Here are all 40 wins of the Kill / Claeys era. (Including both over ranked opponents. #21 Nebraska (twice)

What was your favorite victory?

2016 Opponent Result
Oregon State* W 30–23
Indiana State* W 58–14
Colorado State* W 31–24
at Maryland W 31–10
Rutgers W 34–32
at Illinois W 40–17
Purdue W 44–31
Northwestern W 29–12
vs. Washington State* W 17–12

2015 Opponent# Result
at Colorado State* W 23–20
Kent State* W 10–7
Ohio* W 27–24
at Purdue W 41–13
Illinois W 32–23
vs. Central Michigan* W 21–14

2014 Opponent# Result
No. 16 (FCS) Eastern Illinois* W 42–20
Middle Tennessee* W 35–24
San Jose State* W 24–7
at Michigan W 30–14
Northwestern W 24–17
Purdue W 39–38
Iowa W 51–14
at No. 21 Nebraska W 28–24

2013 Opponent# Result
UNLV* W 51–23
at New Mexico State* W 44–21
Western Illinois* W 29–12
San Jose State* W 43–24
at Northwestern W 20–17
No. 21 Nebraska W 34–23
at Indiana W 42–39
Penn State W 24–10

2012 Opponent Result
at UNLV* W 30–27 3OT
No. 12 (FCS) New Hampshire* W 44–7
Western Michigan* W 28–23
Syracuse* W 17–10
Purdue W 44–28
at Illinois W 17–3

2011 Miami (OH)* W 29–23
Iowa W 22–21
Illinois W 27–7

Agree with you. Still, to answer your question my favorite victory was beating Michigan at the big house in 2014. It was awesome even with Michigan unranked.

Agree with you. Still, to answer your question my favorite victory was beating Michigan at the big house in 2014. It was awesome even with Michigan unranked.

Top three had to be Michigan win and the two Nebraska wins.

Michigan was probably my favorite.

Kill/Claeys were playing the big boys very tough, even when losing (beat a ranked Nebraska team in '13 and were not blown out losing to #11 Mich. State and #16 Badgers; in '14, beat a ranked Nebraska team on the road, lost at Madison only 24-34, lost to#8 Ohio State by only 24-31; in '15, lost to 2nd-ranked TCU only 17-23, lost to #15 Michigan 26-29 on the infamous bad call on the 2-yard line instead of tying with a field goal; lost to #1 Ohio State 14-28 at Columbus, and lost to unbeaten and #8 Iowa on the road, 35-40. Admittedly, these are mostly losses - as were the close losses last year to Penn State, Nebraska and Wisconsin, but we all remember the 58-7 blowouts in other decades whenever we played a highly ranked team). Kill was a QB away from getting to the B1G conference game several years, but he never recruited or developed that guy. One or two players on offense can make a huge difference. This year's team is 118th in passing, 119th in total offense. No improvement there, and they are losing the games they should win, which Kill generally did not lose.

This is sarcasm, right?

Kill / Claeys avg margin of defeat against ranked teams (including two wins vs Neb) was -14.5.
That's a pretty horrible average margin of defeat for an argument we played the big guys tough.

1. I hate marketing. I think most of the time it's mostly fluff. In business people are paid tons of money, and big contracts are awarded to market products, and 9 times out of 10, the marketing fails. It's a total waste of money. However, it's necessary, and he 1 time out of 10 that it works, it might pay for itself 100 fold. The way Fleck is marketing all of the time in everything he says is too much for my taste, but at the same time it's probably absolutely necessary. I think he does a find better communicator when he goes off-script, but for what he's being paid to do, I think he's doing a great job overall with marketing even though it's not my style. If I look at any other program that was average that turned into something solid, Oregon is the only one I can think of that really transcended it's status, and that was done through NIKE.

FIFY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Too those wins against Michigan and Nebraska would add the Penn State victory when they were the 2nd Ranked team in the country *THAT IS A REFERENCE TO A GOPHER TEAM COACHED BY GLEN MASON. PLEASE DO NOT BE CONFUSED BY THAT!) and the 2010 victory over #24 Iowa. It ended a terrible season at TCF. One where they had lost every Home game they played coming in. Jeff Horton had taken over for Breswster with 5 games left. He lost the first two of them, both at TCF. A decent performance against Penn State and a 52-10 hammering by tOSU. They got beaten up again at MSU, before coming home to squeak by the Illini by 4. Thus breaking a 9 game losing streak.

The game was officially a sellout. Remember that it was cold and when Iowa scored to go ahead with a few minutes to go. Guess that the vast majority of those 50,000+ people, both Gopher and Hawkeye fans, thought it was over.

They wasn't. Gophers came back and scored a TD to beat those damned, ranked Hawkeyes.

Bet that all the Gophers fans that were at that game fervently wish that the Sports Bookmakers are right and that they can beat Nebraska on Saturday at TCF. Bet they also want them to go to NW and pull one out down there too.

Guarantee that every last one of them would say that beating the Badgers after Thanksgiving would then be the best they ever witnessed.

The only "haters" coming on here after that would be the ones saying to "forget about it. Don't expect them to play like that again next year".

* fixed it.

This is sarcasm, right?

Kill / Claeys avg margin of defeat against ranked teams (including two wins vs Neb) was -14.5.
That's a pretty horrible average margin of defeat for an argument we played the big guys tough.

Troll motor running...check. Bait in water...check. Working toward another ban...check.

Spout off some moral victories and Kill was a QB away from several B1G conference games. More made up stuff about the glory year’s of the previous regime.

I have a great deal of respect for how Mr. Kill went about his business. However 5 years at 14-21 in the Conference and not a single bowl victory is a bar low enough that Fleck will eclipse. First year is a pass as he inherited two QB's that are as bad as i have ever seen.

Isn't PJ being kind of negative by saying that there will always be people that are negative? Not much of a growth mindset there.

Kill never beat Penn St. when they were number 2, that was Mason. He beat Penn St. when they were the worst they had been in generations. The Gopher football job is really tough but there is no way to look at the Kill years as any better than mediocre. Give Fleck 5 years and i see him winning a great deal more than uncle Jer.

Kill never beat Penn St. when they were number 2, that was Mason. He beat Penn St. when they were the worst they had been in generations. The Gopher football job is really tough but there is no way to look at the Kill years as any better than mediocre. Give Fleck 5 years and i see him winning a great deal more than uncle Jer.

That win versus PSU was actually a win*

Kill fed us the exact same stuff and people ate it up because they bought his schtick. Bottom line is you would think by now people would have experienced enough coaching changes around here to understand that the first year is tough most of the time and it is foolish to make any assumptions about the future based on a coaches first season.

Look at this roster, really take an honest look at the players we have right now and compare it to what you see at some of the better programs in the conference. We have next to nothing at QB, WR, and DE. We have some good RB and LB, the O-Line is ok but not spectacular, and the secondary is really banged up.

No matter who was head coach, this season was going to be difficult because there are some real personnel holes on this roster that were not addressed well by the previous coaching staff in recruiting.

I get the frustration, and it is ok to be skeptical (I never bought into Kill), but there are a number of fans that have given up already which is just foolish. As much as it sucks to have to once again go with the "wait and see" approach, in fairness to the new staff that is all we really can do. Give them time to do their thing and see what happens. We all want to win now but the reality is that there is work that needs to be done to get this program to where we all want to see it go. And unfortunately that takes time.

For some, like me, it has nothing to do with the record. I️ don’t believe in him as a person, don’t like the excuses, how he talks about, or infers about, past regimes, etc. This response is a perfect example. Not buying into his BS doesn’t make someone negative, it’s just they think he’s a phony. Don’t dismiss your critics, learn from them as well.

The year Kill beat Penn St, Penn St had 5 losses.

They were to:
Ohio St #4
Nebraska
Minnesota
Indiana
Univ of Central Florida

Honestly, I don't even know what I would be angry or upset about? I am annoyed by virtually everything PJ says. I see through him and he annoys me. I haven't really made that a secret, have I? But upset? Angry? About what exactly?

Maybe obsessesed is a better word? I've never seen someone talk so much about something that really annoys them.

Maybe obsessesed is a better word? I've never seen someone talk so much about something that really annoys them.

Especially when Spoofin 'doesn't listen to PJ anymore' yet 98% of Spoofin's posts are complaining about what PJ says.

"Criticism doesn't bother me." Flat out lie. "I keep every negative and positive letter. When we win I'll write all the negative ones back and tell them they were wrong." The man is so thin skinned I worry for him. He's in year zero lobbying to keep his job every time he talks. Please, don't criticize me. Please don't fire me. We've had 6 head coaches in 11 years. Please let me coach my 5 years. Sad to watch.

Especially when Spoofin 'doesn't listen to PJ anymore' yet 98% of Spoofin's posts are complaining about what PJ says.

Again with this? I have not listened to anything PJ has said in months. That is a fact. I read about most of it on GH tho. In case you haven't noticed, I'm on here a lot. Why is this so hard for you to understand?

Certainly a better choice. Much more accurate.

Again with this? I have not listened to anything PJ has said in months. That is a fact. I read about most of it on GH tho. In case you haven't noticed, I'm on here a lot. Why is this so hard for you to understand?

Because you are more full of it and every bit as much as a 'windbag' as you claim Fleck to be. And taking comments second hand from message board posters is a great way to listen to what Fleck is actually saying. :rolleyes:

Because you are more full of it and every bit as much as a 'windbag' as you claim Fleck to be.:

Not true at all. PJ is an ELITE windbag and in a league all his own. Neither you nor I can compete with him on that.

Did you really just give Kill credit for “should have beat” Wisconsin while at the same time insulting Mason for having a “Michigan Meltdown”

To me those are pretty much the same thing. Games that should’ve been won that weren’t.

Mason wasn’t necessarily better than Kill. Nor was Kill better than Mason. To me they were about the same. Above average.

Yea I really don't think the 2003 Michigan game is comparable to the 2014 Wisconsin game. One of those was a program defining meltdown that we'll still be talking about in 30 years.

I do agree that Mason and Kill acheived so a similar level, the crucial difference being that Mase had a full decade to prove his ceiling while Kill had less than half that time.

Kill never beat Penn St. when they were number 2, that was Mason He beat Penn St. when they were the worst they had been in generations...

REALLY!!!! :eek: OMG, OMG. OMG!!:rolleyes:

That team went 10-3. Losing to Minnesota and #16 Michigan and #15 MSU. They had won 9 in a row before losing to Minnesota and that streak included victories against #18 tOSU, #16 Purdue and #4 Arizona. They ended the season beating #18 Texas A&M in the Alamo Bowl. The rankings are what they were at the time of the game. Don't want to confuse you again.

"Worst in generations" huh? ;)

Yeah, was responding to #93, which didn't specify a Kill-only clause. Wanted to throw it in because it was a favorite game. Went on to talk about that Iowa game, which you didn't mention. Didn't think it would confuse too many people, seems to have only confused you. Sorry for your confusion.

Of course you are also probably the only person on here to call that team the "worst Penn State team in generations".

Here's a tip, when you're trying to correct a possible mistake, you're correction shouldn't include a much bigger one. :drink:

Enjoy the day.

REALLY!!!! :eek: OMG, OMG. OMG!!:rolleyes:

That team went 10-3. Losing to Minnesota and #16 Michigan and #15 MSU. They had won 9 in a row before losing to Minnesota and that streak included victories against #18 tOSU, #16 Purdue and #4 Arizona. They ended the season beating #18 Texas A&M in the Alamo Bowl. The rankings are what they were at the time of the game. Don't want to confuse you again.

"Worst in generations" huh? ;)

Yeah, was responding to #93, which didn't specify a Kill-only clause. Wanted to throw it in because it was a favorite game. Went on to talk about that Iowa game, which you didn't mention. Didn't think it would confuse too many people, seems to have only confused you. Sorry for your confusion.

Of course you are also probably the only person on here to call that team the "worst Penn State team in generations".

Here's a tip, when you're trying to correct a possible mistake, you're correction shouldn't include a much bigger one. :drink:

Enjoy the day.

Though worded poorly, what he meant was that the Penn St. team Kill beat in 2013 was the "worst they had been in generations".

Despite that being what he meant, it was also stupid and wrong. That 2013 Penn St. team was 7-5 (4-4). Penn St. had several worse teams in recent years - in 2003 and 2004 they won 7 games overall and 3 Big Ten games combined. Just in 2010, they were an almost-identical 7-6 (4-4). "Worst in generations" - give me a break.

I saw this thing in the world and man I don't like it.

Generally speaking the scale of complaints and the ultra trivial nature of things people choose to be bothered by these days is amazing.

How do people go about life picking out little things they don't like about others, the world? What kind of way is that to live?

Yes, 2003 was easily a better season than any season under Kill/Claeys. Don't know how anyone with a brain could possibly dispute that. Pretending that Kill/Claeys did anything substantially better than Mason is delusional.

Where did I pretend that? They were pretty close accomplishments.

Simply put - we went to January 1st bowl game for the first time since the 60's with Kill. That's a fact. It's also a pretty standard way to judge a season (by the bowl game you attend). That fact sent you into an absolute hissy fit. Carry on fanboy!

Where did I pretend that? They were pretty close accomplishments.

Simply put - we went to January 1st bowl game for the first time since the 60's with Kill. That's a fact. It's also a pretty standard way to judge a season (by the bowl game you attend). That fact sent you into an absolute hissy fit. Carry on fanboy!

J18 is nothing if not a fleckster......

Top Bottom