Video: Fleck on his critics: "People who want to be negative will always be negative"

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Video: Fleck on his critics: "People who want to be negative will always be negative"

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

"Stay away from negative people. They have a problem for every solution". (Anonymous)

The Wise Man.jpg

Are there some people that are always negative, sure. But just because people are negative about this season it doesn't mean they are always negative. PJ nailed it when he said with the salary that he makes, he will be open to criticism. Hopefully he doesn't let it get to him.

Are there some people that are always negative, sure. But just because people are negative about this season it doesn't mean they are always negative. PJ nailed it when he said with the salary that he makes, he will be open to criticism. Hopefully he doesn't let it get to him.

He doesn't seem the type to let it bother him.

If he knows he has 3 full years or 4, he's not going to fret. He'll be okay.

AGREED!!! I'm a happy, bounce in the step person. However, I feel this program isn't trending in the right direction, and I have some skepticism with what I see that it will be any different than what we've seen with other regimes.

AGREED!!! I'm a happy, bounce in the step person. However, I feel this program isn't trending in the right direction, and I have some skepticism with what I see that it will be any different than what we've seen with other regimes.

+1

I also hate to say, but PJ has been the leader of the negative talk: No OL, youngest team around, too many freshman, no depth blah blah blah.

Love him or hate him he absolutely nailed that response.

A win Saturday will do wonders for a lot of negative attitudes...

Hopefully the team will leave Michigan behind and come out determined to lay it all out for four quarters.

+1

I also hate to say, but PJ has been the leader of the negative talk: No OL, youngest team around, too many freshman, no depth blah blah blah.

Kill fed us the exact same stuff and people ate it up because they bought his schtick. Bottom line is you would think by now people would have experienced enough coaching changes around here to understand that the first year is tough most of the time and it is foolish to make any assumptions about the future based on a coaches first season.

Look at this roster, really take an honest look at the players we have right now and compare it to what you see at some of the better programs in the conference. We have next to nothing at QB, WR, and DE. We have some good RB and LB, the O-Line is ok but not spectacular, and the secondary is really banged up.

No matter who was head coach, this season was going to be difficult because there are some real personnel holes on this roster that were not addressed well by the previous coaching staff in recruiting.

I get the frustration, and it is ok to be skeptical (I never bought into Kill), but there are a number of fans that have given up already which is just foolish. As much as it sucks to have to once again go with the "wait and see" approach, in fairness to the new staff that is all we really can do. Give them time to do their thing and see what happens. We all want to win now but the reality is that there is work that needs to be done to get this program to where we all want to see it go. And unfortunately that takes time.

Love him or hate him, he's exposed himself to some criticism. Diehard believers will trust the process, casual fans will lose interest, snarky fans will snark. That's the life of a public figure. Deal with it. As somebody else said he's probably been the most vocal negative force this season. The guys hear the talk. He gets 3-4 years no matter what. Just don't take us back to the dark days PJ. Keep the current class on the hook.

He has criticism coming. He strolled in and promised B1G/National Championships and high-end recruits. He replaced a staff that many feel were fired under false pretenses after taking the program to a place it hadn't been since the 60/ in terms of success. He claimed the "culture" of the players and fans needed an overhaul. He seems to toot his own horn.

It all may come to fruition. I hope it does. But, if you make grandiose claims and accusations, you better put your money where your moth is in short order. Whether it's actually his doing or not, you're not going to get a man-of-the-year award, a contract extension, and increased fan support for squeaking out 1 B1G win against Illinois.

If you want positivity, give people something tangible to be positive about. The old saying goes, "you can wish/hope with one hand and crap in the other, and see which one fills up first."

Kill fed us the exact same stuff and people ate it up because they bought his schtick. Bottom line is you would think by now people would have experienced enough coaching changes around here to understand that the first year is tough most of the time and it is foolish to make any assumptions about the future based on a coaches first season.

Look at this roster, really take an honest look at the players we have right now and compare it to what you see at some of the better programs in the conference. We have next to nothing at QB, WR, and DE. We have some good RB and LB, the O-Line is ok but not spectacular, and the secondary is really banged up.

No matter who was head coach, this season was going to be difficult because there are some real personnel holes on this roster that were not addressed well by the previous coaching staff in recruiting.

I get the frustration, and it is ok to be skeptical (I never bought into Kill), but there are a number of fans that have given up already which is just foolish. As much as it sucks to have to once again go with the "wait and see" approach, in fairness to the new staff that is all we really can do. Give them time to do their thing and see what happens. We all want to win now but the reality is that there is work that needs to be done to get this program to where we all want to see it go. And unfortunately that takes time.

Kill showed some results, then people bought in. The hire was borderline ridiculed, and the media tore apart his "aw shucks" persona. Acting like Kill got some kind of immediate pass is false.

You're calling people foolish for not buying into PJ prior to showing us something real, while saying you never bought into Kill even after he showed results. Don't see a logical issue there? It's clearly an issue of liking the style of one but not the other for you....which you're criticizing others for.

He has criticism coming. He strolled in and promised B1G/National Championships and high-end recruits. He replaced a staff that many feel were fired under false pretenses after taking the program to a place it hadn't been since the 60/ in terms of success. He claimed the "culture" of the players and fans needed an overhaul. He seems to toot his own horn.

It all may come to fruition. I hope it does. But, if you make grandiose claims and accusations, you better put your money where your moth is in short order. Whether it's actually his doing or not, you're not going to get a man-of-the-year award, a contract extension, and increased fan support for squeaking out 1 B1G win against Illinois.

If you want positivity, give people something tangible to be positive about. The old saying goes, "you can wish/hope with one hand and crap in the other, and see which one fills up first."

The previous regime brought us to heights not seen since the 60's???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Regards of who is coaching the Gophers today, that person will face criticism. That is the nature of business in this market with long suffering fans tired of long broken promises.

I think PJ FLeck understands that, and no matter what he says he will be criticized. He just have to be himself and execute his vision. If he is unable to do so, in four years we'll be searching for another coach and the whole Ground Hog Day process will repeat itself until someday we get everything right like in a Fairy Tale.

Kill showed some results, then people bought in. The hire was borderline ridiculed, and the media tore apart his "aw shucks" persona. Acting like Kill got some kind of immediate pass is false.

You're calling people foolish for not buying into PJ prior to showing us something real, while saying you never bought into Kill even after he showed results. Don't see a logical issue there? It's clearly an issue of liking the style of one but not the other for you....which you're criticizing others for.

Not saying people are foolish for not buying in to PJ, saying they are foolish for giving up on him already or assuming his way won't work. I never bought Kill's act but I was more then willing to give him time to succeed and didn't expect immediate results. To me Kill had a ceiling and it was similar to where Mason was, an upgrade over Brewster but not the guy that could do the things needed to get over the top here. In Fleck I see someone who might have the intangibles to get us over the top. He could certainly fail but I am not going to make any assumptions about the future based on what takes place on the field this year with Kill/Claeys roster with the holes I mentioned in the previous post.

Doesn't matter the year, when comparing our roster to the better programs in the conference, we have never stacked up. What we have done in the past 4 years is beat teams when our roster was about the same or slightly better than our opponent. This year that has not happened.
I certainly have not given up on PJ, but to give him a pass for coaching this team to only 4 wins this year against the teams we have played so far in not acceptable to me. Many on here were complaining about the 8 win season last year and we can't accept mediocrity. Yet now they are ok with what has gone on this season. SMH

Doesn't matter the year, when comparing our roster to the better programs in the conference, we have never stacked up. What we have done in the past 4 years is beat teams when our roster was about the same or slightly better than our opponent. This year that has not happened.
I certainly have not given up on PJ, but to give him a pass for coaching this team to only 4 wins this year against the teams we have played so far in not acceptable to me. Many on here were complaining about the 8 win season last year and we can't accept mediocrity. Yet now they are ok with what has gone on this season. SMH

Purdue and Maryland are disappointing loses but I still don't think it is fair to pin that all on the coaching staff given the roster they inherited. Tough to win when you don't have a QB and I think we have seen all year that we are sorely lacking at the QB position right now. Kill/Claeys did do a solid job of winning the games they were supposed to...as long as you ignore the first two years....something you are apparently not willing to do for Fleck.

I don't think PJ was saying the bolded part either.

Purdue and Maryland are disappointing loses but I still don't think it is fair to pin that all on the coaching staff given the roster they inherited. Tough to win when you don't have a QB and I think we have seen all year that we are sorely lacking at the QB position right now. Kill/Claeys did do a solid job of winning the games they were supposed to...as long as you ignore the first two years....something you are apparently not willing to do for Fleck.

Kill did have some bad games in that first year, especially early in the season vs. Non-Conf. teams. He also started with a roster that was not as good as the one PJ started with.

Kill did have some bad games in that first year, especially early in the season vs. Non-Conf. teams. He also started with a roster that was not as good as the one PJ started with.

Looking at the roster from that year I see some definite parallels to this season.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-footbl/archive/m-footbl-mtt-11-12.html

There were some pieces but clearly some big holes as well. There was also a bit of a mess at the QB position though I would take what was on the 2011 roster in a heartbeat over what the 2017 roster has at QB. Haven't gone player by player but on the surface I would say the 2011 and 2017 rosters are very comparable to each other.

And Kill struggled in year two as well en route to a 6 win season. The team only beat Purdue and Illinois during conference play, wasn't all that close in any of the loses, and needed 3 Overtimes to beat a bad UNLV team.

Why do so many people think PJ's first year is such a step back from the Kill/Claeys era? Does anyone not remember how much the Gophers struggled in Kill's first couple of years? If you want to compare apples-to-apples then you should be comparing year 1 for both coaches as in comparing 2017 to 2011.

It does not matter who the coach is, there are going to be ups and downs with every coaching transition.

PJ has a plan laid out and has the support from the administration, so let's have some patience and let the process play itself out. If we are still sitting here 3 or 4 years from now and struggling then it will probably be time for a coaching change. Give the guy some time to build his roster through his recruiting classes. We have new facilities opening in January that will also help the program.

We are all Gophers fans at the end of the day and not only want to see this program succeed but to sustain that success. If you want to sustain that success over the long-term, it's going to take time to build your program with some good recruiting classes. The early signing period is one month away and that will be one of the first indicators to how PJ has been doing in his first year.

He also mentioned on KFAN yesterday that there will be some non-conference schedule announcements coming soon that should get the fans excited.

Why do so many people think PJ's first year is such a step back from the Kill/Claeys era? Does anyone not remember how much the Gophers struggled in Kill's first couple of years? If you want to compare apples-to-apples then you should be comparing year 1 for both coaches as in comparing 2017 to 2011.

It does not matter who the coach is, there are going to be ups and downs with every coaching transition.

PJ has a plan laid out and has the support from the administration, so let's have some patience and let the process play itself out. If we are still sitting here 3 or 4 years from now and struggling then it will probably be time for a coaching change. Give the guy some time to build his roster through his recruiting classes. We have new facilities opening in January that will also help the program.

We are all Gophers fans at the end of the day and not only want to see this program succeed but to sustain that success. If you want to sustain that success over the long-term, it's going to take time to build your program with some good recruiting classes. The early signing period is one month away and that will be one of the first indicators to how PJ has been doing in his first year.

He also mentioned on KFAN yesterday that there will be some non-conference schedule announcements coming soon that should get the fans excited.

I think fans expect (right or wrong) slow progress upward. After last year finishing on a high note (well football game wise....) they expected ... moar.

I think here was/is a big misconception amongst some fans about the depth of talent that we had going into this season and the impact of a whole new coaching staff.

Like it or not programs don't just better continuously and not really a good recognition about how fragile mid to low mid level P5 programs really are year to year.

I think fans expect (right or wrong) slow progress upward. After last year finishing on a high note (well football game wise....) they expected ... moar.

I think here was/is a big misconception amongst some fans about the depth of talent that we had going into this season and the impact of a whole new coaching staff.

Like it or not programs don't just better continuously and not really a good recognition about how fragile mid to low mid level P5 programs really are year to year.

The second point is the key one. There are a lot of fans that saw the 9 win record and just assumed that this year's team was a lock to produce similar results.

He replaced a staff that many feel were fired under false pretenses after taking the program to a place it hadn't been since the 60/ in terms of success.

Wow - the stuff people make up about the glory days of of the previous regime is quite amusing.

The second point is the key one. There are a lot of fans that saw the 9 win record and just assumed that this year's team was a lock to produce similar results.

+1

PJ be like...

1910506_815172491835837_1164619264453680694_n.jpg

haters-gonna-hate-10.jpg

The previous regime brought us to heights not seen since the 60's???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I spit my coffee when I read that.

Here are all 40 wins of the Kill / Claeys era. (Including both over ranked opponents. #21 Nebraska (twice)

What was your favorite victory?

2016 Opponent Result
Oregon State* W 30–23
Indiana State* W 58–14
Colorado State* W 31–24
at Maryland W 31–10
Rutgers W 34–32
at Illinois W 40–17
Purdue W 44–31
Northwestern W 29–12
vs. Washington State* W 17–12

2015 Opponent# Result
at Colorado State* W 23–20
Kent State* W 10–7
Ohio* W 27–24
at Purdue W 41–13
Illinois W 32–23
vs. Central Michigan* W 21–14

2014 Opponent# Result
No. 16 (FCS) Eastern Illinois* W 42–20
Middle Tennessee* W 35–24
San Jose State* W 24–7
at Michigan W 30–14
Northwestern W 24–17
Purdue W 39–38
Iowa W 51–14
at No. 21 Nebraska W 28–24

2013 Opponent# Result
UNLV* W 51–23
at New Mexico State* W 44–21
Western Illinois* W 29–12
San Jose State* W 43–24
at Northwestern W 20–17
No. 21 Nebraska W 34–23
at Indiana W 42–39
Penn State W 24–10

2012 Opponent Result
at UNLV* W 30–27 3OT
No. 12 (FCS) New Hampshire* W 44–7
Western Michigan* W 28–23
Syracuse* W 17–10
Purdue W 44–28
at Illinois W 17–3

2011 Miami (OH)* W 29–23
Iowa W 22–21
Illinois W 27–7

Here are all 40 wins of the Kill / Claeys era. (Including both over ranked opponents. #21 Nebraska (twice)

2016 Opponent Result
Oregon State* W 30–23
Indiana State* W 58–14
Colorado State* W 31–24
at Maryland W 31–10
Rutgers W 34–32
at Illinois W 40–17
Purdue W 44–31
Northwestern W 29–12

2015 Opponent# Result
Kent State* W 10–7
Ohio* W 27–24
at Purdue W 41–13
Illinois W 32–23

2014 Opponent# Result
San Jose State* W 24–7
at Michigan W 30–14
Northwestern W 24–17
Purdue W 39–38
Iowa W 51–14

2013 Opponent# Result
UNLV* W 51–23
San Jose State* W 43–24
at Northwestern W 20–17
No. 21 Nebraska W 34–23
at Indiana W 42–39
Penn State W 24–10

2012 Opponent Result
at UNLV* W 30–27 3OT
Syracuse* W 17–10
Purdue W 44–28
at Illinois W 17–3

2011 Miami (OH)* W 29–23
Iowa W 22–21
Illinois W 27–7

19 big ten wins in 6 years?
8 of those wins vs Purdue / Illinois

2016 Opponent Result
Oregon State* W 30–23
Indiana State* W 58–14
Colorado State* W 31–24
at Maryland W 31–10
Rutgers W 34–32
at Illinois W 40–17
Purdue W 44–31
Northwestern W 29–12

2015 Opponent# Result
Kent State* W 10–7
Ohio* W 27–24
at Purdue W 41–13
Illinois W 32–23

2014 Opponent# Result
San Jose State* W 24–7
at Michigan W 30–14
Northwestern W 24–17
Purdue W 39–38
Iowa W 51–14

2013 Opponent# Result
UNLV* W 51–23
San Jose State* W 43–24
at Northwestern W 20–17
No. 21 Nebraska W 34–23
at Indiana W 42–39
Penn State W 24–10

2012 Opponent Result
at UNLV* W 30–27 3OT
Syracuse* W 17–10
Purdue W 44–28
at Illinois W 17–3

2011 Miami (OH)* W 29–23
Iowa W 22–21
Illinois W 27–7

2014 was clearly the high water mark. That list really illustrates where Kill had the program in terms of beating the teams it was supposed to and rarely beating the teams it was not supposed to. That keeps you out of the basement but certainly is not the formula you need to contend for championships. Very similar to what we had under Mason, better then what we had under Wacker and much of Brewster's time here.

Top Bottom