AP: Minnesota tackle Donnell Greene facing discipline from Coach P.J. Fleck

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the AP:

Minnesota offensive tackle Donnell Greene is facing discipline from Gophers coach P.J. Fleck that will carry over to Saturday's game against Nebraska after the junior starter swung and hit a Michigan player last week.

Fleck condemned Greene's actions following the game and reiterated Tuesday that "internally, he'll pay the price."

Greene has started every game at left tackle for Minnesota (4-5, 1-5 Big Ten).

"I haven't got any word from the Big Ten but that is unacceptable, period," Fleck said, without elaborating on his plans. "I'm not into one of those guys, yeah, yeah, that happens on the field, emotions run high. It's all about controlling your emotions. If you control yourself, you can always control your opponent. The minute your opponent controls the way you act, now you got a problem, and I'll refuse to let that slide."

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ta-gophers-facing-discipline-actions-michigan

Go Gophers!!

This is the Quinton Dial hit on Aaron Murray that also didn't lead to a flag or a suspension. SEC...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/huEImWnQqMM" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hmmm ... “internally”. That could just mean punishments like having to extra up-downs after practice, or having to clean the locker room early in the morning, etc.

Or it could mean that Fleck could choose to sit him the first half.

The latter would be more genuine. And I think Schlueter and Calhoun are capable of holding down the tackle spots.

Other than after we scored our lone td, the Greene slap was the only other emotion that I saw from the Gophers in the entire game. Just can't have a player getting out control like that in such a close game, could have cost us the win.

Fleck has kicked a number of players of the team. The coaching and system is not working.

Good. Now actually try to win a game vs playing to not lose.

if you plan on winning championships in the Big Ten, you better have some nasty on your offensive line...

I've always thought Epping standing up to Tx Tech in Houston 2012 Bowl game was a turning point that helped establish culture for some winning in 2013 and 2014...

if Donnell Greene misses game time for showing some emotion and toughness while Fleck and Smith and Ciarrocca showed no response or adjustment to an aggressive physical defense and offense, I'll be upset and I would guess the locker room will as well.

if you plan on winning championships in the Big Ten, you better have some nasty on your offensive line...

I've always thought Epping standing up to Tx Tech in Houston 2012 Bowl game was a turning point that helped establish culture for some winning in 2013 and 2014...

if Donnell Greene misses game time for showing some emotion and toughness while Fleck and Smith and Ciarrocca showed no response or adjustment to an aggressive physical defense and offense, I'll be upset and I would guess the locker room will as well.

I don't think what Donnell did was showing toughness. He lost his cool and took a swing at a guy. Had he gotten back to the huddle and then next play went and buried a guy and then shoved him into the ground as he was getting up, that would be toughness and emotion coming out.

I hear what you are saying and that was my first reaction as well. But the difference between those two situations I think is the TT Team was playing very dirty in that game and the game was competitive.
The Michigan was well out of hand at that point when Greene lost his cool. And I didn’t really notice the Michigan players doing much to provoke him.

Throwing a punch is not showing toughness it is stupidity. The locker room will understand any discipline he receives because they all know that is not something you should ever do. The Michigan kid was definitely trying to instigate things but Greene has to be smart enough to not lose his head and throw a punch at the little gnat.

Yeah sorry, but put me in the camp that throwing a punch (and if you go back and watch, I'm pretty sure the second he threw was closed fist) at a guy's facemask, after the play is over and everyone is watching you, has nothing to do with being nasty or tough. Nothing at all.

Why did Fleck kick them?:p

LOL!

I'm just imagining at practice where a guy shoves another guy in a fit of blown temper, Fleck looks over and screams "CULLLLTUREEEEEE!!!", sprints over, and does a flying kick, Mortal Kombat syle, into the guy's chest.

Hmmm ... “internally”. That could just mean punishments like having to extra up-downs after practice, or having to clean the locker room early in the morning, etc.

Or it could mean that Fleck could choose to sit him the first half.

The latter would be more genuine. And I think Schlueter and Calhoun are capable of holding down the tackle spots.

There is no chance that Calhoun could hold down a tackle spot...

I get why he should be punished. It was a dumb thing to do. But can we please stop calling it a punch? Last time I checked a punch is defined as a "strike with the fist". Greene slapped the guy. Couldn't stand it when the announcers called it a punch because that's not what it was.

I get why he should be punished. It was a dumb thing to do. But can we please stop calling it a punch? Last time I checked a punch is defined as a "strike with the fist". Greene slapped the guy. Couldn't stand it when the announcers called it a punch because that's not what it was.

The first throw was open fist. The second was closed fist.

Good old school philosophy... the team took his anger as a rallying cry!

New school philosophy... control your darn emotions and do things to help your team win. Instead of taking a pot shot, push your player around.

He is a starter on this week's version of a depth chart...

He was ejected from the game. Time served. Close the book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL!

I'm just imagining at practice where a guy shoves another guy in a fit of blown temper, Fleck looks over and screams "CULLLLTUREEEEEE!!!", sprints over, and does a flying kick, Mortal Kombat syle, into the guy's chest.

Thanks for the chuckle! Much needed now.

Regarding Greene, I can see all points. Dumb move during a very frustrating game and season. Hopefully Fleck will make his point without going off of the deep end, and hopefully the lesson will be learned.

Apologies as I only noticed the first slap. Not that either is acceptable. Is there video of the punch?

This is what I remember: there was shoving, Greene turns around and throws an open-fist punch at Michigan #23, then Michigan #14 comes over and gets in his face, both grab each other and are swarmed by other players, that's where I thought I saw Greene throw a close-fist punch at Michigan #14. Maybe my mind made that up though ...

Thanks for the chuckle! Much needed now.

Regarding Greene, I can see all points. Dumb move during a very frustrating game and season. Hopefully Fleck will make his point without going off of the deep end, and hopefully the lesson will be learned.

My guess is that he is going to make an example of him.

Top Bottom