Gopher Football Weekly

Dano564

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score
First segment - PJ talked about Michigan loss. Conversation rolled into doing the right thing. Didn't mention anyone specifically, but did remind us again he won't substitute the culture for wins. He won't EVER do it.
He wants to win, but he was brought here in January to move the team out from what it was dealing with in January.
He cited that was a key reason he was hired.

He painted the picture very clearly in my mind that the coaching change was all about the off-the-field issues that occurred.
If you listen to the segment later, you can draw your own conclusions, but I never heard him point to that this strongly.

He then went on to praise Mark Coyle. Said he's the best boss in college football. Mark and him are on the same page about not sacrificing the culture for wins.

This tells me that Fleck is going to have a long leash here. (I'd say 4 years minimum despite any results).

Second segment they talked about Nebraska and JUCO transfers.
PJ said he will do only a very small amount of JUCOs. Maybe 2 a class. Really wants to grow kids from freshman level. That's how other programs who succeed do it.

During segment three (or four) they discussed The Bits of Broken Chair trophy.

PJ endorsed it. He said it's great because anything for charity and for students and for the good of those who need it, he's for it.

They asked if it's been officially endorsed. If it will be on the field.
PJ said he hasn't been told that yet.

Edit:
Yes, and play-by-play guy did call it the Bits of pieces trophy.

Offensive line will look different.

PJ's favorite Thanksgiving food is "all of it", which caused Rosen to expel a robust chuckle.

PJ comments about going for FG.

Rosie says "Go for it"
PJ said, "So then it will 33-14 instead of 33-10? 4 points? Or maybe it's 33-7? Instead of 33-10."
Cited not moving the ball.

Grimm asked about Harbaugh going for two. Fleck responded "they were trying to score points". It's our job to stop them and score points.

Is this the weekly KFAN drive by?

If so, this little comment is exciting:

https://twitter.com/andygreder/status/927969936101855232

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He said something to that effect.
I wouldn't get too excited just yet.

He said it more like
"We're scheduling some non-conference games that we think the fans will be excited about".

Also said they scheduling only has so many options. Teams have to want to play you, and money, and contracts, etc.
Said they would worry more about raising the level as they get further down the road.
He's worried about getting a first down right now.

PJ's favorite Thanksgiving food is "all of it", which caused Rosen to expel a robust chuckle.

PJ elaborated that he grew up in a German household.

Potato Pancakes, Sauerkraut and sausages, dumplings
And of course cranberries, dressing, turkey.

He will fry the turkey. Heather makes one inside. He likes to be out in the cold frying a turkey. Usually a few days after.

He said it more like
"We're scheduling some non-conference games that we think the fans will be excited about".

Also said they scheduling only has so many options. Teams have to want to play you, and money, and contracts, etc.
Said they would worry more about raising the level as they get further down the road.

Ah thanks for clarifying. I'll take a few more first downs as well. As a relocated southerner, I am excited for the Miss St in the next decade.

He said it more like

Plus schedule is full until 2021.

He said it more like

Yeah, I read it like he was talking about the Colorado, BYU, Mississippi State series as being games we'll get excited for (which is true).

I don't think it's going to be Alabama, Clemson, or Notre Dame level excitement.

But mid-power 5 conference level is good.

With only three non-conference, you only get one shot for a power 5, then a MAC and one other.

I️ have to say I️ was shocked by the sauerkraut and dumplings comment. I️ grew up on some German cooking but this guy should be able to recruit in New Ulm :)

I️ have to say I️ was shocked by the sauerkraut and dumplings comment. I️ grew up on some German cooking but this guy should be able to recruit in New Ulm :)

He had me at Potato Pancakes.

First segment - PJ talked about Michigan loss. Conversation rolled into doing the right thing. Didn't mention anyone specifically, but did remind us again he won't substitute the culture for wins. He won't EVER do it.
He wants to win, but he was brought here in January to move the team out from what it was dealing with in January.
He cited that was a key reason he was hired.

He painted the picture very clearly in my mind that the coaching change was all about the off-the-field issues that occurred.
If you listen to the segment later, you can draw your own conclusions, but I never heard him point to that this strongly.

He then went on to praise Mark Coyle. Said he's the best boss in college football. Mark and him are on the same page about not sacrificing the culture for wins.

This tells me that Fleck is going to have a long leash here. (I'd say 4 years minimum despite any results).

Second segment they talked about Nebraska and JUCO transfers.
PJ said he will do only a very small amount of JUCOs. Maybe 2 a class. Really wants to grow kids from freshman level. That's how other programs who succeed do it.

Shouldn't be any reason the "culture" should interfere with winning games, unless you have a conviction the better recruits are uncultured (to put it politely).

Shouldn't be any reason the "culture" should interfere with winning games, unless you have a conviction the better recruits are uncultured (to put it politely).

This culture thing is taken incorrectly.

Instead of using the word culture, use the worth methodology.

PJ isn't going to sacrifice his methodology for putting a team together for wins.
By doing so, if he suspends a player for not following the methodology, it doesn't mean the player is bad. It means he's not fitting in with the methodology.

Just because he's changing the methodology at the U of M to build a football program doesn't mean the old methodolgoy for building the team was a bad one. They're just different.

Maybe that will help you out.

What I found interesting in reading a newspaper South of us, where a couple Hawkeye starting offensive linemen from Ohio stated that they didn't consider Ohio State because that coaching staff didn't produce NFL type linemen. That would mean our present offensive line coach wasn't getting the job done during his time at Ohio State. Just a point of reference.

I am in agreement with him. Best Christmas dinner ever. Love that stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What I found interesting in reading a newspaper South of us, where a couple Hawkeye starting offensive linemen from Ohio stated that they didn't consider Ohio State because that coaching staff didn't produce NFL type linemen. That would mean our present offensive line coach wasn't getting the job done during his time at Ohio State. Just a point of reference.

Too bad that isn't true. I sincerely doubt the players playing for Iowa from Ohio got an offer from Ohio State.

Edit: There's only one player from Ohio on Iowa's roster and he didn't get an offer from Ohio State.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor_Decker

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Elflein

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Mewhort

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reid_Fragel

That can always change though. There's been more than a handful of games that have fallen through over the years (plus JK's cowardly running from UNC).

But didn't we wind up with TCU in the exchange? And the Horned Frogs were considerably better than the Tarheels.

I heard the first half-hour of Fleck's radio show. I suppose it depends on your perspective.

I heard a lot of comments about all the problems with the program: depth, youth, injuries, etc.

As Face said, he talked about the culture. one comment that caught my ear was Fleck saying something to the effect of "I was hired to build this program from the ground up." or words to that effect. There was also a comment about players facing suspensions or consequences for "things they might have gotten away with in the past."

the cumulative effect painted a picture of a program in bad shape.
how accurate that is, I leave for others to determine.

Fleck also talked about how talented Michigan is - and even Nebraska. went on about Lee as a QB looking so good at the start of the season. And that was just the first half-hour of the show. Had to leave and missed the rest.

Top Bottom