STrib: Here are 5 takeaways leading into the first “real game” (Newcomers look ready)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

1. Newcomers look ready

If coach Richard Pitino had to name one reason why the Gophers made the biggest turnaround in program history last season, you can bet he would credit the newcomers. A year ago, Pitino welcomed in Reggie Lynch, Amir Coffey and Akeem Springs, who would eventually start together during the Gophers’ run to the NCAA tournament and a 16-win improvement. Newcomers Isaiah Washington, Jamir Harris and Davonte Fitzgerald might not be starters this season, but their roles could be just as significant in helping the Gophers continue to play at a high level. In these four exhibition games, Washington, who is definitely a fan favorite with his flashy game, was third on the team in scoring (16.0) and assists (4.5). Harris struggled in the maroon and gold scrimmage, but he scored in double figures in the last two exhibition games. Fitzgerald shows no sign of coming off a knee injury with his ability to run and jump. He was the team’s second-leading rebounder (6.8) in exhibition.

2. Several go-to options

3. Guards galore

4. Shooter needs to emerge

5. Konate could be key

http://www.startribune.com/richard-...-top-shooter-and-high-expectations/455736333/

Go Gophers!!

Gopher guards vs. pressure

Marcus has a very good pulse on the Gophers.

Guards galore is right. There's already a potential NCAA matchup I'd salivate to see, the Gophers vs. West Virginia. Mason, Coffey, McBrayer, and Washington vs. the Mountaineers' "Press Virginia" defense. That might be a fun one.

Getting ahead of myself. ...

Good read and pretty much in line with what most of us have been thinking heading into the season.

The guard piece really could be exciting as teams that make deep tournament runs tend to have great guard play. Having 3-4 guys that can handle the all is a massive asset, especially when you go up against teams that like to press. Hopefully Lynch and Murphy have both improved their ability to be aggressive without fouling, if they can stay on the court this team can be awesome.

Great read. I think how far we can go depends on:

1 - Ability to shoot the 3
2 - Fitz and Konate being able to give quality minutes on defense
3 - Staying healthy

Marcus has a very good pulse on the Gophers.

Guards galore is right. There's already a potential NCAA matchup I'd salivate to see, the Gophers vs. West Virginia. Mason, Coffey, McBrayer, and Washington going up against the Mountaineers' "Press Virginia" defense. That might be a fun one.

Getting ahead of myself. ...

Has the look of a 4 vs. 5 second round matchup. Would be quite the battle.

Top Bottom