Winfield Jr and the Medical Redshirt

HoustonTXGopher

Reaction score
Fleck has made it clear that he has a plan and it will come to fruition starting in 2020. Fleck has often gushed over the skills of Antoine Winfield Jr and I am sure he would love to have Antoine lead the defense in 2021. So, any chance Antoine was shut down early to fully recover in order to take advantage of the medical redshirt opportunity when he probably could have played at 80% in some of these game?

How's he going to lead the defense in 2021 when his eligibility runs out in 2020?

Fleck has made it clear that he has a plan and it will come to fruition starting in 2021. Fleck has often gushed over the skills of Antoine Winfield Jr and I am sure he would love to have Antoine lead the defense in 2021. So, any chance Antoine was shut down early to fully recover in order to take advantage of the medical redshirt opportunity when he probably could have played at 80% in some of these game?

Medical redshirt or not, AWjr won't be here in 2021. Assuming you meant 2020.
Teams don't get to just not play a player who could play and receive a medical redshirt. An independent doctor has to confirm he couldn't play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Medical redshirt or not, AWjr won't be here in 2021. Assuming you meant 2020.
Teams don't get to just not play a player who could play and receive a medical redshirt. An independent doctor has to confirm he couldn't play.

I think there is quite a bit of grey area on the medical redshirt according to what I have read. Playing and playing at 100% are two different things. I think there is a lot of latitude that can be granted, I believe.

If Fleck is waiting for 2021, then he needs to be fired today.

If Winfield recovers and has a great year next year, and NFL scouts think he's good enough to be drafted, he could leave after next year and none of it matters.

Well he needs to be 100% not 80% or he'll have issues again. Ne needs to get healthy for the long run.

If you're asking whether a coach could look at a season, see it potentially going down the tubes, and keep a talented player out of the lineup in hopes of getting a medical redshirt, I would suspect that a strong majority of coaches could and would do that.

Like it or not, if a team has a bad year, then comes back with a better season, the coach gets points for improvement. Even if some of the coach's decisions contributed to the team having a bad year the year before. winning wipes out (almost) all sins.

Only Winfield and the medical staff know his true condition. And seriously, with some injuries, if you try to play through it, you only make it worse. So holding him out may, in the end, turn out to be the right choice.

I know we'd like to be skeptical, but weren't they 3-0 when he got hurt?
Seems to early to see it going down the tubes.
Medical redshirt was discussed that following week I think, so I don't think there was a master shenanigan plan by PJ.

To clarify. let's say Injured player X has been out 4 weeks. Team is not looking good. Coach has choice of throwing player X back in lineup, knowing he's only 80% - but could still potentially help the team. Or, sitting him down for the rest of the year and applying for a medical redshirt. In that situation, I think a coach might conclude that the team is better off in the long run if Player X can get another year of eligibility. bringing him back at 80% is probably not going to save the season.

And again, I'm no doctor and I haven't seen the medical reports. I know that in high school ball, kids will try to come back from an injury before they're 100%. sometimes 80% is enough to help win a game - sometimes it isn't. It depends on the quality of the backup. especially in HS, the starter at 80% is probably better than the sub at 100%. In college ball, you would like to have enough depth so the sub at 100% is better than the starter at 80%. The Gophers may not be there at this point.

If you're asking whether a coach could look at a season, see it potentially going down the tubes, and keep a talented player out of the lineup in hopes of getting a medical redshirt, I would suspect that a strong majority of coaches could and would do that.

Like it or not, if a team has a bad year, then comes back with a better season, the coach gets points for improvement. Even if some of the coach's decisions contributed to the team having a bad year the year before. winning wipes out (almost) all sins.

Only Winfield and the medical staff know his true condition. And seriously, with some injuries, if you try to play through it, you only make it worse. So holding him out may, in the end, turn out to be the right choice.

Also it is pretty common for coaches to talk to the player about these things and get their input.

To clarify. let's say Injured player X has been out 4 weeks. Team is not looking good. Coach has choice of throwing player X back in lineup, knowing he's only 80% - but could still potentially help the team. Or, sitting him down for the rest of the year and applying for a medical redshirt. In that situation, I think a coach might conclude that the team is better off in the long run if Player X can get another year of eligibility. bringing him back at 80% is probably not going to save the season.

And again, I'm no doctor and I haven't seen the medical reports. I know that in high school ball, kids will try to come back from an injury before they're 100%. sometimes 80% is enough to help win a game - sometimes it isn't. It depends on the quality of the backup. especially in HS, the starter at 80% is probably better than the sub at 100%. In college ball, you would like to have enough depth so the sub at 100% is better than the starter at 80%. The Gophers may not be there at this point.

I think both of your posts are spot on. Bad stretch of losses, no need to bring back AW Jr if not 100%. The reverse situation would give us the real answer, if we were contending for the BIG west would AW Jr get back in the line up at less than 100%. I think Fleck and AW Jr know what could lie ahead and in 2020 this is Winfields team.

Medical redshirt was discussed that following week I think, so I don't think there was a master shenanigan plan by PJ.

Sure, but at the same time Rupert posted that he rode in an elevator with Blake Cashman after the game and Blake said AWjr would be fine the following week. So, either something fishy is going on or Rupert was mistaken who was in the elevator with him claiming to be Blake Cashman. Which do you think?

Sure, but at the same time Rupert posted that he rode in an elevator with Blake Cashman after the game and Blake said AWjr would be fine the following week. So, either something fishy is going on or Rupert was mistaken who was in the elevator with him claiming to be Blake Cashman. Which do you think?

Or players aren't doctors or trainers.

If I was trying trying to build a championship program by establishing a culture of failure I would be sitting players like Winfield and Cashman. Additionally I would be playing QBs that obviously are not the future of the program.

I think there is quite a bit of grey area on the medical redshirt according to what I have read. Playing and playing at 100% are two different things. I think there is a lot of latitude that can be granted, I believe.

The injury "must be incapacitating...season ending". Hard to know with Winfield.

The injury "must be incapacitating...season ending". Hard to know with Winfield.

Groin injuries can be weird.

A second point on Winfield.
Vocal dad. Probably the most prominent parent of any kid on the team.
Was most likely to leave the program voluntarily after last season.

I don't know if PJ could just on a whim decide, "Hey, we're going to postpone your son's NFL career" by redshirting him without Sr. being vocal about it.

Total assumption, but I would have to believe the Winfield's are in agreement with the plan.
If Jr. is thinking NFL, wouldn't they be fighting to have him play when he could this year, and the next year or two to get him in the NFL sooner vs later?

I know I'm a Fleck defender, and many would like to go after Fleck if this was a bad decision, but do the Anti-Flecks think PJ has a spell over Sr. and Jr. to get them to agree to such cahoots?

Groin injuries can be weird.

A second point on Winfield.
Vocal dad. Probably the most prominent parent of any kid on the team.
Was most likely to leave the program voluntarily after last season.

I don't know if PJ could just on a whim decide, "Hey, we're going to postpone your son's NFL career" by redshirting him without Sr. being vocal about it.

Total assumption, but I would have to believe the Winfield's are in agreement with the plan.
If Jr. is thinking NFL, wouldn't they be fighting to have him play when he could this year, and the next year or two to get him in the NFL sooner vs later?

I know I'm a Fleck defender, and many would like to go after Fleck if this was a bad decision, but do the Anti-Flecks think PJ has a spell over Sr. and Jr. to get them to agree to such cahoots?

Redshirting him doesn't postpone his NFL career. He can still leave after the 2018 season either way if he so chooses.

I think the level of competition had more to do with the 3-0 start. Sadly it should've been 5-0 with or without Antoine

We all think very highly of Antoine, but talking about him like he is a leave school early candidate would make him a first or second round NFL pick. He does not have the size that NFL scouts like, so I don't think leaving school early is a viable option for him. I think he always going to fight to earn his spot on an NFL team.

Top Bottom