Spread for Saturday's Game and Nebraska Injury List

Iceland12

Reaction score
Even with the Home Field, the Gophers being 2.5 point favorites for Saturday's game is pretty puzzling. While looking for that spread, found out another possible reason for it. Nebraska's injury list.

Injuries

Player Status/Updated Notes

Aaron Williams DB Ques Sat - Knee - 11/6/17 Williams missed the last game with a knee injury and it is unknown if he will play Saturday against Minnesota.

Antonio Reed DB Ques Sat - Knee - 11/6/17 Reed missed the last game with a knee injury and his status for Saturday's contest against Minnesota is up in the air.

Eric Lee Jr. DB Ques Sat - Concussion - 11/6/17 Lee missed the last game with concussion-like symptoms and it is unknown if he will play Saturday against Minnesota.

Jaylin Bradley RB Ques Sat - Ankle - 11/6/17 Bradley missed the last game tending to an ankle injury and it is unclear if he will be active Saturday against Minnesota.

David Knevel OL Ques Sat - Ankle - 11/6/17 Knevel has missed the last two games due to an ankle injury and it is unknown if he will suit up for Saturday's contest against Minnesota.

Tyrin Ferguson LB Ques Sat - Foot - 11/6/17 Ferguson has missed the last two games with a foot injury and it is unknown if he will play Saturday against Minnesota.

Luke Gifford LB Ques Sat - Hip - 11/6/17 Gifford missed the last two games with a hip injury and it is unknown if he will play Saturday against Minnesota.

Keyan Williams WR Ques Sat - Neck - 11/6/17 Williams has missed the last four games with a neck injury and his availability is undetermined for Saturday's contest against Minnesota.

Michael Decker OL Late Dec - Undisclosed - 11/1/17 Decker had surgery to repair an injury and it is unknown if he will be ready to return for a potential bowl game.

Tanner Farmer OL Out indefinitely - Undisclosed - 10/30/17 Farmer will miss an extended period of time due to an undefined injury.

Matt Sichterman OL Out indefinitely - Illness - 10/15/17 Sichterman has been sidelined due to illness and it is unknown when he might make his return to the field.

Tre Bryant RB out for season - Knee - 10/23/17 Bryant is expected to be sidelined for the remainder of the season due to a knee injury.

http://reviewjournal.sportsdirectin...teams.aspx?page=/data/ncaaf/teams/team55.html

With all the DB's and OL's they have out we should be able to throw all over them and should be able to stop the run.:rolleyes:

With all the DB's and OL's they ahve out we should be able to throw all over them and should be able to stop the run.:rolleyes:

So you think the spread is way to low then? :rolleyes:

Since the Gophers have only won a single games since they played Middle Tennessee State the answer would be no.

I have a feeling this will be a game that if we lose, several GH'ers will be upset and say there was bad coaching.

This sounds like a setup :)
Call me a homer, but I am looking forward to the game. Neither team is very good this year but I hope we can win, get a little momentum and have a good showing in Evanston next weekend.

Call me a homer, but I am looking forward to the game. Neither team is very good this year but I hope we can win, get a little momentum and have a good showing in Evanston next weekend.

That would be wonderful and couldn't come at a better time.

That would be wonderful and couldn't come at a better time.

We do need this win badly. If nothing else for recruiting. Every win matters. Matters to the fans too.

We do need this win badly. If nothing else for recruiting. Every win matters. Matters to the fans too.

This is very true. Beating Nebraska still matters to casual fans and high school students -- regardless of how bad the Husker season is going.

I honestly don't think we'll win Saturday. I wish we would, but I haven't seen anything that makes me think we will. I thought the defense was playing very sound and might carry us to victory in this game -- until I watched Saturday night's debacle. Also, if you put our injury list up against Nebraska's I don't think you'd see much difference. Pretty sure we're down 3 or 4 DB's, at least 1 RB (maybe 2), 2 OL (is it 3 now?), 2 WR's, etc.

Predicted 7-5 when the year started. Still think 6-6 might happen.

I have a feeling that at some point during the game a full fledged pillow fight breaks out.

I think I stopped caring after the Maryland game. I'll keep watching the games, but I watch with general ambivalence. PJ can wake me up in 2020...

Noticed how he hasn't answered? :cool:

I don't know what's going to happen yet.

I'm going to need more time before I make my bold prediction.

If you are capable of thinking beyond "I love Fleck" what's your opinion of the Gophers being favored in the game?

In cases like this, it's too hard to call. So you look at who the home team is and give them a couple points.
It looks like that is what's going on here regarding the spread.

I'd like to think we could bounce back defensively, have a great offensive game with Croft and bounce back with a 21 point win. But... so many unknowns, and can anyone really predict what our offense will do against Nebraska after last week?

In cases like this, it's too hard to call. So you look at who the home team is and give them a couple points.
It looks like that is what's going on here regarding the spread...

Thanks. Does seem like they're calling it a toss-up game. Still surprises me that the Gophers would be favored, but was truly surprised to see how bad Nebraska really has been too.

At the top of the link posted in the O.P., before they got to the injuries their is a breakdown of Nebraska's Offense and Defensive rankings. First time I had seen them in print.

Nebraska seems to have really good wide receivers (one that I can’t believe we let get away), and a QB, who at times, can sling it.
We still don’t have an offensive identity 9 games in. Here’s to hoping we find it this weekend [emoji482]

Right now you just have no idea what the offensive game plan will be.

Will Fleck go to the conservative running game and try to grind out a 17-16 game.
Or will he decide that we run better when we keep them honest and hit Nebraska with a few passes early to spread out there D.

I would think Croft will have more time to throw, and if we let him toss it 15-20 times he could complete 55-60%, but knowing we need this game pretty bad, I think it's going to be the play not to lose, wait for Nebraska to make the mistakes kind of game.

Right now you just have no idea what the offensive game plan will be.

Will Fleck go to the conservative running game and try to grind out a 17-16 game.
Or will he decide that we run better when we keep them honest and hit Nebraska with a few passes early to spread out there D.

I would think Croft will have more time to throw, and if we let him toss it 15-20 times he could complete 55-60%, but knowing we need this game pretty bad, I think it's going to be the play not to lose, wait for Nebraska to make the mistakes kind of game.

It will be a play not to lose game and we'll probably lose. Nebraska sucks too, but they have better athletes than we do. One or two of them make a big play and that will be plenty.

Hopefully our secondary will have a good game. Tanner Lee likes to throw to the opponents. Sure wish Spielman was a Gopher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully our secondary will have a good game. Tanner Lee likes to throw to the opponents. Sure wish Spielman was a Gopher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe he'll transfer after the coaching change in Lincoln.

I can’t stand Nebraska. Never liked them or their program. Was very disappointed when they were added to the Big Ten, and they’ve gone next to nothing to warrant the share of TV money that they suck up. Well, I guess their volleyball team is good.

Makes me smile every time they fall on their faces. Really hoping for a win this Sat.

Anyone who says they "know" what the Gophers are going to do is guessing. No one "knows" what the Gophers are going to do. I seriously don't think the coaches "know" what the Gophers are going to do.

This team is a complete mystery. One week, strong running game. next week, running game vanishes. One week, solid defensive effort. next week, can't tackle. Yes, I understand that the opponent matters - and what the opponent is doing matters. But, that does not change my impression that the Gophers are a wildly inconsistent team in almost every aspect of the game.

Some of that can be chalked up to injuries and inexperience. But not all of it. some of it can also be chalked up to coaching and motivation.

I know I am accused of being redundant. But, what I believe is what I believe. And I believe we have a rookie coaching staff, that is coaching like a rookie coaching staff. (rookies at the B1G level - rookies at a major D1 conference). I'm a big baseball fan, and I have seen lots of guys look great at AAA, and fall flat on their faces their first time in the majors. Some of those players eventually develop into solid major league players. Fleck and his staff may develop into a solid B1G Staff. But they ain't there yet.

Anyone who says they "know" what the Gophers are going to do is guessing. No one "knows" what the Gophers are going to do. I seriously don't think the coaches "know" what the Gophers are going to do.

This team is a complete mystery. One week, strong running game. next week, running game vanishes. One week, solid defensive effort. next week, can't tackle. Yes, I understand that the opponent matters - and what the opponent is doing matters. But, that does not change my impression that the Gophers are a wildly inconsistent team in almost every aspect of the game.

Some of that can be chalked up to injuries and inexperience. But not all of it. some of it can also be chalked up to coaching and motivation.

I know I am accused of being redundant. But, what I believe is what I believe. And I believe we have a rookie coaching staff, that is coaching like a rookie coaching staff. (rookies at the B1G level - rookies at a major D1 conference). I'm a big baseball fan, and I have seen lots of guys look great at AAA, and fall flat on their faces their first time in the majors. Some of those players eventually develop into solid major league players. Fleck and his staff may develop into a solid B1G Staff. But they ain't there yet.

Yeh, well, that's your opinion, man.

(and I agree with most of it).

For all we know, we might have 45 wildcat plays called in a row on offense, or we could see Connor Rhoda get the start with him throwing the ball the first 16 plays.

It's hard to know at times if they are coaching just to practice perfect execution of a wildcat play, or if they are actually thinking it's a play that will help the team win the ballgame.

I wasn't expecting much this year with the QB situation. I was hoping we'd be pleasantly surprised, but that hasn't been the case. I think the lack of depth and injuries has played a big part.
I think losing Winfield was absolutely huge. That's probably the one thing that's affected this team more than the QB play.

If I were PJ, the one decision I'd maybe be regretting is starting Connor Rhoda. Good kid, did well, but Croft could have used a couple more games of starts. With Croft out a couple weeks, Rhoda still would have played it appears, but Croft with more experience would have been a good thing heading into 2018.

It's a far better situation to have a starting QB going into 2018 for a freshman to have to beat out than an open-competition for a 2nd year in a row.

I know I am accused of being redundant. But, what I believe is what I believe. And I believe we have a rookie coaching staff, that is coaching like a rookie coaching staff. (rookies at the B1G level - rookies at a major D1 conference). I'm a big baseball fan, and I have seen lots of guys look great at AAA, and fall flat on their faces their first time in the majors. Some of those players eventually develop into solid major league players. Fleck and his staff may develop into a solid B1G Staff. But they ain't there yet...

So you think that 2.5 points are too much then...?

So you think that 2.5 points are too much then...?

Shoot. I'm saying that the Gophers could win by 20 points or lose by 20 points, and neither outcome would be surprising. by definition, it's hard to be surprised when you have no idea what to expect. (except in the case of the blind date where all they tell you is "she has a great personality.")

If you are capable of thinking beyond "I love Fleck" what's your opinion of the Gophers being favored in the game?

I'd see the Huskers favored by a few points simply because they are more of a big play team: Lee has been pretty good in most recent games and he has some terrific receivers (including Spielman), while the Gophers haven't had a decent passing day all year. But I picked the Gophers by three based on home field, Nebraska being weak against the run, the team smarting from loss to Michigan and expectation Croft would finally get a decent passing game going to complement our running. However, if there is going to be snow, rain and freezing rain, all bets are off.

Yeh, well, that's your opinion, man.

You left out a couple words but your effort is recognized and applauded! :clap:

Thats_just_your_opinion.jpg

Top Bottom