2018 WR Class

GoldenGophers7

The 1 The only
Reaction score
With a few recruits in the top 100 at the WR position, what can the 2018 WR class bring to the table that we are lacking? Will we be able to get separation from higher end CB talent?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm excited for the freshman we redshirted and I'm really excited for Rashod Bateman. He's tearing up the highest class in Georgia right now, a state that's loaded with talent. This position will get better quickly over the next few years.

If anything, it will help the QB with completions. Over the past years we've had mediocre QB play, but it wasn't helped by many dropped balls that hit the receivers in the hands.

If anything, it will help the QB with completions. Over the past years we've had mediocre QB play, but it wasn't helped by many dropped balls that hit the receivers in the hands.

Not to mention no separation.

We'll have that Douglas kid back next year.
That's a good thing.

I'm excited for the freshman we redshirted and I'm really excited for Rashod Bateman. He's tearing up the highest class in Georgia right now, a state that's loaded with talent. This position will get better quickly over the next few years.

Hopefully the kid stays committed

That's the Gopher spirit.

Actually that's the Gopher truth. A program like Minnesota will always be subject to better programs raiding it until they become better themselves. We can be confident, have belief, show spirit, wish or pray or whatever people do and it won't matter. Either he stays committed or he goes elsewhere. It is what it is. I will say though that the players who commit to Fleck seem pretty committed to stay. Guess we will see. He will be a great get!

Hopefully the kid stays committed

I'm not too worried. He tweets regularly about the Gophers.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Actually that's the Gopher truth. A program like Minnesota will always be subject to better programs raiding it until they become better themselves. We can be confident, have belief, show spirit, wish or pray or whatever people do and it won't matter. Either he stays committed or he goes elsewhere. It is what it is. I will say though that the players who commit to Fleck seem pretty committed to stay. Guess we will see. He will be a great get!

Curious to see how it shakes out.
You would think kids buying into to Fleck would have a little tougher time changing minds.
The issue of course are the kids who always wanted a better offer from a favorite school, and when they get that offer, it's hard to say no if it's the one they've been hoping for.

In the end, I'm not going to count any until they are signed, and even then, some may never hit the field for various reasons.

Curious to see how it shakes out.
You would think kids buying into to Fleck would have a little tougher time changing minds.
The issue of course are the kids who always wanted a better offer from a favorite school, and when they get that offer, it's hard to say no if it's the one they've been hoping for.

In the end, I'm not going to count any until they are signed, and even then, some may never hit the field for various reasons.

Those are great points, I will also say that many, many of these recruits have lots of P5 offers from a lot of great schools and they seem to be staying the course. Those are the types of players that change programs. I don't know about any of you but I'm ready for that! I also will say another poster made a great point in another thread, he doesn't necessarily need to outrecuit the BiG as a whole, just the West. I hope he can do so.

Those are great points, I will also say that many, many of these recruits have lots of P5 offers from a lot of great schools and they seem to be staying the course. Those are the types of players that change programs. I don't know about any of you but I'm ready for that! I also will say another poster made a great point in another thread, he doesn't necessarily need to outrecuit the BiG as a whole, just the West. I hope he can do so.

Agreed.

First step is to out-recruit or even-recruit with the pesky badgers.
Then start beating the Badgers.

If we get to a level where we can beat the badgers, everything else will take care of itself.

I think our WR core will be far better next year. At fall practice, it was pretty clear that Douglass and Bell were already two of the better WRs on the team. Having a rotation with Tyler Johnson, Douglass, Bell and Howard next year will be a step in the right direction. Van Dyne looked promising in high school and will be coming off a redshirt year. Spann-Ford looks like a legitimate receiving threat for a TE who can line up outside. Bateman and Manns have been tearing it up in high school.

Not to sound too "Fleckish," but we have what, two upperclassmen WRs on the team? Eric Carter and Rashad Still, who have contributed next to nothing this year. Next year should be significantly better, and in 2 years we should be pretty good.

Three reasons (and there's more) that a WR recruit wants to come to MN:
(1) Fleck is one of the few HC that was a wide receiver in the NFL. He knows the position and what it takes to play on Sunday's
(2) At WMU Fleck coached WRs that made it to the NFL. Come to MN and you can follow that same path.
(3) We have a need at WR, you can play early instead of having to wait until your Junior or Senior year.

I will believe it when I see it on the field. We have been saying "can't wait for this group of young wr" since Kill got here. Haven't seen it yet.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

I will believe it when I see it on the field. We have been saying "can't wait for this group of young wr" since Kill got here. Haven't seen it yet.

McDonald
Still
Holland

few others I'm sure

I think our WR core will be far better next year. At fall practice, it was pretty clear that Douglass and Bell were already two of the better WRs on the team. Having a rotation with Tyler Johnson, Douglass, Bell and Howard next year will be a step in the right direction. Van Dyne looked promising in high school and will be coming off a redshirt year. Spann-Ford looks like a legitimate receiving threat for a TE who can line up outside. Bateman and Manns have been tearing it up in high school.

Not to sound too "Fleckish," but we have what, two upperclassmen WRs on the team? Eric Carter and Rashad Still, who have contributed next to nothing this year. Next year should be significantly better, and in 2 years we should be pretty good.

Maybe Drew H an develop too. I can kind of see him fit into the Wes Welker, Eric Decker, Jordy Nelson, Adam Thielen type of player.

Maybe Drew H an develop too. I can kind of see him fit into the Wes Welker, Eric Decker, Jordy Nelson, Adam Thielen type of player.

The white receiver type?

More of a danny amendola or a ryan switzer imo

Anything like Ed McCaffery?

Or Brandon Stokley?

Don't forget about Mark Williams. He has shown some promise this season and will only get better with more reps.

Holland and Gentry???.........yeah, I agree.

Seen Spann-Ford a few times. Great athlete, plenty of size. Curious if he stays on offense.

Played linebacker a season and would be a very tall DE but definitely possible. Excellent hands so I’d rather see him on offense.

I hope Bateman redshirts.

Three reasons (and there's more) that a WR recruit wants to come to MN:
(1) Fleck is one of the few HC that was a wide receiver in the NFL. He knows the position and what it takes to play on Sunday's
(2) At WMU Fleck coached WRs that made it to the NFL. Come to MN and you can follow that same path.
(3) We have a need at WR, you can play early instead of having to wait until your Junior or Senior year.

Good points.

Top Bottom