Croft has tools to be U's best QB in a long time

bfast

Reaction score
I don't see anything in Croft that tells me that he "isn't good enough" to be a starting QB on a B1G West division champion team. Yes, it's disappointing that he hasn't been a superhero and changed some results, but I don't see any red flags with his decision making or throwing/running talent that says we need a change.

The touchdown drive was a great blueprint of what he can bring to the table. We're just hamstringing ourselves with playcalling and routes IMO. Michigan game was a bit of a wash because we couldn't stop them at all on defense (5-12 completions). It's this guy's first few games as a starter, remember. There will be rocky moments early. I'm not absolving him of his share in the team losses, but it seems that a fair number of people are anti-Croft from the get-go.

Iowa game was rough (9-29) but you saw what Josh Jackson and co. did to Ohio State yesterday and the Gophs didn't exactly opt for what Iowa gave them in the pass game - lots of tough throws. Iowa should have knocked off Penn State too.

Croft needs a decent O-line before we will know.

I have not been impressed with Demry. However, yesterday was the first game I have seen him play live and don't really blame him for anything vs MI. Our OL did him no favors and our WRs got zero separation. If it was half that bad in his other games then I feel there is hope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't see anything in Croft that tells me that he "isn't good enough" to be a starting QB on a B1G West division champion team. Yes, it's disappointing that he hasn't been a superhero and changed some results, but I don't see any red flags with his decision making or throwing/running talent that says we need a change.

The touchdown drive was a great blueprint of what he can bring to the table. We're just hamstringing ourselves with playcalling and routes IMO. Michigan game was a bit of a wash because we couldn't stop them at all on defense (5-12 completions). It's this guy's first few games as a starter, remember. There will be rocky moments early. I'm not absolving him of his share in the team losses, but it seems that a fair number of people are anti-Croft from the get-go.

Iowa game was rough (9-29) but you saw what Josh Jackson and co. did to Ohio State yesterday and the Gophs didn't exactly opt for what Iowa gave them in the pass game - lots of tough throws. Iowa should have knocked off Penn State too.

This is suitable for The Onion. Croft is awful and will not play after this year.

This is suitable for The Onion. Croft is awful and will not play after this year.

When he was given time and there was a receiver open, how many times did he put the ball in a spot that the receiver could catch it? His first start maybe he had 3 or 4 balls that were actually catchable. At Iowa, there were at least 6 drops on well thrown balls and he had numerous others that were on target or slightly off, but catchable, only the Iowa DB's made good plays on them. Last night vs. Mich. he had one bad throw that I can remember. The rest he was on target with the throw. He threw a few away when facing heavy pressure and no WR was open. He even pulled the ball down and used his legs to gain crucial yards on the TD drive and a few others. He ended the night with -5 yards rushing, but that factors in the 6 sacks for -45 yards he had. That means he had 7 rushes for 40 yards which is good.
He has improved quite a bit in these three starts and if he continues on that trend he will be starting next year.

Bring on Vic and Hank!

We need a good tight end to help with matchups. We need linemen that don't get run over. Too early to write off Croft. He's done some really bad things (another intentional grounding) and but has hit some good throws. Right now he's sort of like Leidner...frustrating but has some skills.

He's inexperienced, we've played some of the best defenses in the Big Ten (outside of the Illini). I'm interested to see if we can do anything vs Nebraska.

When he was given time and there was a receiver open, how many times did he put the ball in a spot that the receiver could catch it? His first start maybe he had 3 or 4 balls that were actually catchable. At Iowa, there were at least 6 drops on well thrown balls and he had numerous others that were on target or slightly off, but catchable, only the Iowa DB's made good plays on them. Last night vs. Mich. he had one bad throw that I can remember. The rest he was on target with the throw. He threw a few away when facing heavy pressure and no WR was open. He even pulled the ball down and used his legs to gain crucial yards on the TD drive and a few others. He ended the night with -5 yards rushing, but that factors in the 6 sacks for -45 yards he had. That means he had 7 rushes for 40 yards which is good.
He has improved quite a bit in these three starts and if he continues on that trend he will be starting next year.

Ditto. He's improving and has very little to work with, including offensive schemes that maximize his abilities at this stage. And basically he's a freshman as to extended game experience. His ability to scramble is a plus and he has a nice touch on short passes.

IMO Croft does not know where to go with the ball, is often afraid to throw it, and has a slow delivery. Other than go routes I think guys have to be wide open for Croft. Seems like he needs simple, easy passes. He also seems to be late on throws and doesn’t often seem to put the ball in the right place for the receiver. Other than that, he’ll probably be the best QB the U has seen in a long time. I’m sure he’ll get drafted or at least invited to several camps. We’ll see.

Demry definitely seems to be improving. There's hope. The coaches are not helping him or the entire offense to succeed with the play calls and things we try to do.

I'm maybe not as sold on his decision making as you are, but he does do some good things for sure and again he has improved.

On tape, Vic looks like he'd win the job fairly easily to me. (At this point in Demry's progress) But, gosh we gotta have better schemes for anyone to be successful.

I'm not sold either way

Nothing against the kid and I totally understand riding him out for the rest of this year but I really hope Croft is not starting next year. The simple reality is that he is just not that good of a QB. Hopefully Morgan or the JC kid (assuming he comes here) can take the reigns next year. I certainly don't pin the loss against Michigan on Croft but baring some massive development he just doesn't have the skill set to be a quality Big Ten QB.

We had single coverage all night with only 1 safety over the top and we refused to throw the ball. Can't blame it on the ball being slick because it wasn't raining just a light mist. I don't think the OC has faith in the OLine & QB being able to consistently pass the ball

If he has time, he has thrown some nice balls.

I don't know if the trust is there to let him zip it around however.

We're playing a lot of "kill the clock, retain possession, don't turn the ball over, offense".

I wouldn't say I've seen anything to make me think he'll be our starter in 2 years however.

We had single coverage all night with only 1 safety over the top and we refused to throw the ball. Can't blame it on the ball being slick because it wasn't raining just a light mist. I don't think the OC has faith in the OLine & QB being able to consistently pass the ball

My guess is he's told to not throw it into tight coverage, and against MI, that's what the WR's had. They weren't getting open even in man coverage.

Croft's HS tapes were pretty good. I think people are still remembering them instead of what he has shown us on and off the field.

QB is meaningless until the issues of blocking the defense are fixed.

When he's had a couple seconds to throw and a WR even close to open, it seems to me he's delivered a pretty good ball most of the time. If I remember right, on Saturday he made two very nice throws to Howard early, another to him later (dropped), and two more deep throws to TJ (one caught for a big game and one that was dropped). I don't remember him making any awful throws, but I admit to blocking out much of that game already :-( Maybe he was making poor reads and/or missing guys that were slightly open, but I don't think any of us can really say for sure.

I don't see anything that makes me think he's got the job locked down in the future, but I also don't see anything that makes me think he's completely unable to serve as a very competent QB on a team that competes for the West in 2 years with improved OL and WR play.

QB is meaningless until the issues of blocking the defense are fixed.

I think their pass blocking has actually been fine. As many have stated...Croft seems to have the potential but hard at this point to tell if it gets realized, but I don't think he's shown to be a better passer than Rhoda. Hope it changes Saturday.

I think their pass blocking has actually been fine. As many have stated...Croft seems to have the potential but hard at this point to tell if it gets realized, but I don't think he's shown to be a better passer than Rhoda. Hope it changes Saturday.

Injuries are adding up on O-Line, we've given up 9 sacks in the last two weeks. Fleck did mention that Croft left the pocket too soon on some occasions. O-line can help the QB and the QB can help the OL.

The more I see of Croft the less I think he has a future as a successful QB at this level.

I see late throws. I see slow / poor choices.

I think QBs are basically born. Coaches can bring guys along who are born to be QBs and have the skills, but they can't do much for guys who are not. Croft just can't.

I'll cheer for him as long as he plays for the Gophers as that's what I do but I don't he has what it takes.

He has made some throws and his running adds to what he can bring. However, his awareness and decision making leave a lot to be desired. Several times a game I go, "No, don't," but he's not listening and throws it while he's falling back or right into coverage. Not sure if it can be coached out of him. Seems to be a better athlete than Mitch, but I see some of the same faults.

He has made some throws and his running adds to what he can bring. However, his awareness and decision making leave a lot to be desired. Several times a game I go, "No, don't," but he's not listening and throws it while he's falling back or right into coverage. Not sure if it can be coached out of him. Seems to be a better athlete than Mitch, but I see some of the same faults.
Spot on.

I don't see him as a born-to-play-football type of player.

Jury's out.

Sucks we have to have an experimental season at the most important position on the field.

Our pass blocking on Saturday was anything but fine. I can't speak to other games as Sat was the first I have attended in person this year.

I have a lot of tools too, but it doesn't mean I can build a house.

It's hard to succeed at quarterback, when none of your receivers are getting open. I don't know how that logic is hard to follow. He moved well in the pocket. He was clearly doing so, while notably keeping his eyes down field. He made plays with his legs. But having nobody to throw at, due to lack of creating separation, is out of his control. Drops are not on him for the most part (and there have been maybe). I'm not saying he is playing lights out, by any means. But I heard that if you include drops & throw aways, he's around %60 completion. He definitely has room to grow, but it's definitely the WHOLE passing offence that needs to grow together. Not just Croft.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Our pass blocking on Saturday was anything but fine. I can't speak to other games as Sat was the first I have attended in person this year.

Our OL was bad in every facet Saturday. I think for most of the year our pass blocking has been acceptable but not great.

I have not been impressed with Demry. However, yesterday was the first game I have seen him play live and don't really blame him for anything vs MI. Our OL did him no favors and our WRs got zero separation. If it was half that bad in his other games then I feel there is hope.

+ Seeing him at the bighouse changed my perception as well. So many times he escaped disaster. I thought that Demry did the best he could under those circumstances. He made lemonade out of lemons several times. I think the next two games could/ should give us a good Idea of where he's at and what he needs to fix for next season.

Top Bottom