Weyler and Greene status for Nebraska

WorkingMyTailOff

Reaction score
The Nebraska game is up next and we need to win this one. Croft showed some encouraging improvement last night in my opinion and I think the Gophers will be favored to win this game.
Will Greene be allowed to play in the first half after his penalty last night?
Does anyone know the seriousness of Weyler's injury?

There isn't a mandatory suspension for Greene but I suspect Fleck will hold him out the next two games.

Not sure about Weyler - was it a concussion? I didn't see the injury/play.

Next man/men up.

Thank you for clarifying Greene's penalty. I don't think Fleck will as even though he lost his cool, he was playing with passion. You might be right though. I wouldn't penalize him if I was the guy wearing the cool shoes.
Weyler looked to have a knee or leg injury.

There isn't a mandatory suspension for Greene but I suspect Fleck will hold him out the next two games.
I don't know how Fleck will handle it, but I've seen a lot of coaches take away the starting assignment and bench a player for the first series, in similar situations.

Not sure about Weyler - was it a concussion? I didn't see the injury/play.

Next man/men up.

He got rolled up from behind so it was ankle and knee. He was limping badly after. Doesn't look good for this week I would say.

Nebraska is terrible, has terrible coaching, and the game is in Minneapolis. That's worth 60/40 or 55/45 advantage, in my opinion.

Weyler - I know this will sound stupid, and perhaps you won't agree with it, but of the five OL positions, center is actually the easiest position to play a back-up. Why do I say that? Because most college defenses don't line a man up directly on the center. That gives the center a degree of "freedom", in a sense. In pass blocking, the center just has to "help out". And in run blocking, he often gets to block down or back on a lineman that's offset. Plus, if you look at the depth chart for Michigan game, it already said "OR" for Weyler and Dovich. So I think they must be pretty comparable. Now if Dovich gets hurt .... then you could have some issues.

Greene - are you sure there is no hard and fast rule that requires he sit out at least part of the next game? There is such a requirement for targeting. I would think there would be for any kind of ejection ... this is NCAA after all, and sporsmanship has a higher priority than in the pros.

Nebraska is terrible, has terrible coaching, and the game is in Minneapolis. That's worth 60/40 or 55/45 advantage, in my opinion.

Weyler - I know this will sound stupid, and perhaps you won't agree with it, but of the five OL positions, center is actually the easiest position to play a back-up. Why do I say that? Because most college defenses don't line a man up directly on the center. That gives the center a degree of "freedom", in a sense. In pass blocking, the center just has to "help out". And in run blocking, he often gets to block down or back on a lineman that's offset. Plus, if you look at the depth chart for Michigan game, it already said "OR" for Weyler and Dovich. So I think they must be pretty comparable. Now if Dovich gets hurt .... then you could have some issues.

Greene - are you sure there is no hard and fast rule that requires he sit out at least part of the next game? There is such a requirement for targeting. I would think there would be for any kind of ejection ... this is NCAA after all, and sporsmanship has a higher priority than in the pros.

The center has to make all of the offensive line calls. It is probably the hardest position on the o line and the most important because of the mental aspect.

I thought any ejection carried the "1st half of next game" penalty - same as targeting. Maybe I'm wrong.

found this from an article on the targeting penalties, listing all the ways a player can be ejected from a game"

Fighting. The ejection penalty for this one is most similar to the new proposal. If a player is flagged for fighting in the first half, he misses the rest of the game. If it happens in the second half, he misses the rest of that game plus the first half of the next game.

So, sounds like it depends on whether Green was officially ejected for fighting.

The center has to make all of the offensive line calls. It is probably the hardest position on the o line and the most important because of the mental aspect.

Physically the easiest though.

You don't have to believe me, that's fine. But in all honestly, the center is really not doing anything mind blowing out there. The QB is the actual person who is making call ... as far as which LB is "Mike" and which direction the line slides.

I thought any ejection carried the "1st half of next game" penalty - same as targeting. Maybe I'm wrong.

found this from an article on the targeting penalties, listing all the ways a player can be ejected from a game"

Fighting. The ejection penalty for this one is most similar to the new proposal. If a player is flagged for fighting in the first half, he misses the rest of the game. If it happens in the second half, he misses the rest of that game plus the first half of the next game.

So, sounds like it depends on whether Green was officially ejected for fighting.

I'm pretty sure he was. There is quite obvious video evidence that he threw not one but two punches. The Big Ten Conference could even rule from Indy, if they had to.

I would not be surprised at all if he had to sit out at least the first half of Nebraska.

Looks like they slid Schlueter over to left OT and put Calhoun in as RT. Since Calhoun used to be a starter, that doesn't worry me too much. Now if another guard or tackle goes down ... it will be a tough decision to make. Do you burn Andries' redshirt simply to try to limp into a bowl game at 5-7? Or do you put an inferior player in on principle?

It wouldn’t make sense to hold players out of the first half of the next game for targeting (some of which really is incidental) but not for deliberately throwing 2 punches after the whistle which is basically battery. Of course a lot of rules don’t make sense though. What would be the disincentive then for just hauling off on someone late in the game? There would be virtually no consequence if the game was already decided.

I don't think slapping someone's helmet with an open hand is as grevious an injury as say, an Iowa safety spearing Mitch Leidner in the head while he jogs out of bounds. Maybe it's just me and my crazy hot takes. I'm sure the Big Ten office will show who's boss like they did when Leidner was targeted at Ohio State.

You guys could be right about the suspension, but I thought that was specifically for targeting.

I think Catechol brought up the point that proves why he'll likely have to sit out: what a player goes off and drop kicks someone in the head on the last play of the game? They just get to play the full next game, with effectively no punishment at all?

That's why.

He slapped his helmet with open hand after getting pushed. This isn't Blount coldcocking a defenseless Boise player or kicking someone's groin. He was ejected for the rest of game. I think Fleck will punish him regardless but it's not similar to actual targeting IMO. He did hurt the team with a dumb penalty (offset this time). No chance Mich player injured by Greene. Just the opposite.

I could be remembering it wrong, but what I recall is that he did as you said ... to the first player, then a different Michigan player got in his face and that's when everyone swarmed in to break it up ... and then Greene punched that player in the facemask with a closed fist. I think that is what did it. Don't think the Michigan player threw any punches, but he still got ejected too. Was surprised by that, but fair.

If Nebraska is terrible what does that make the Gophers? God awful?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the post game presser Fleck said that what Greene did was not our culture, was unacceptable, and Greene will be facing the consequences of his actions. I think he is held out next game or two.

The Nebraska game is up next and we need to win this one. Croft showed some encouraging improvement last night in my opinion and I think the Gophers will be favored to win this game.

I sincerely hope I’m not the only one that finds it deeply disturbing that the Gopher QB eclipsing the 40% completion mark for the first time in almost a month, going 5-for-12 for 74 yards, could be considered “showing some encouraging improvement”. I guess that’s where we are at the most critical position on the team at this point though. Holy sh!t, it really has gotten this bad.

In the post game presser Fleck said that what Greene did was not our culture, was unacceptable, and Greene will be facing the consequences of his actions. I think he is held out next game or two.

I think that would be pretty harsh. I could see community service as a consequence.

If he was a hockey player he'd have 2 minutes for roughing and that would be the end of it. And we'd love him for it.

I think that would be pretty harsh. I could see community service as a consequence.

If he was a hockey player he'd have 2 minutes for roughing and that would be the end of it. And we'd love him for it.

Except the whole team does community service already as part of Fleck's culture, and its supposed to become something they want to do, not have to do, so I don't think Fleck would ever use it as a punishment.

Except the whole team does community service already as part of Fleck's culture, and its supposed to become something they want to do, not have to do, so I don't think Fleck would ever use it as a punishment.

The football team has been doing community service for the past few years, they just weren't plastering social media sites with pictures of themselves.
In the past, the players were taught that community service should not be done for drawing attention to yourself.

I sincerely hope I’m not the only one that finds it deeply disturbing that the Gopher QB eclipsing the 40% completion mark for the first time in almost a month, going 5-for-12 for 74 yards, could be considered “showing some encouraging improvement”. I guess that’s where we are at the most critical position on the team at this point though. Holy sh!t, it really has gotten this bad.

I know what you mean and it sounds pretty bad to give that kind of performance any kind of compliment. However, I think considering what he was given he escaped the pocket a few times for first down runs and didn’t make any heinous mistakes.
The Gophers got beat in every area, and if the QBs would have been switched last night I don’t think it would have made an ounce of difference.

Croft is in year zero. Patience, grasshopper.

The football team has been doing community service for the past few years, they just weren't plastering social media sites with pictures of themselves.
In the past, the players were taught that community service should not be done for drawing attention to yourself.

I never said they weren't in the past??? I was just pointing out Fleck's opinion toward community service as why he probably wouldn't use it as a punishment.

I'm not sure it matters who plays or doesn't play. I don't expect to win another game this season and I don't expect to win more than two or three games next season. My expectations have dropped to Brewster levels.

Top Bottom