Les Miles

GopherHusky

Reaction score
Is he still available? Since most everyone hates PJ here, how would Miles be doing with this group?

At this point I am starting to wonder why we didn't hire Kiffin. I'm still giving PJ a few years but I am not sure we will ever have a good offense again.

At this point I am starting to wonder why we didn't hire Kiffin. I'm still giving PJ a few years but I am not sure we will ever have a good offense again.

Kiffin will do something soon to remind you why.

I am still behind PJ. The team is 43% freshmen/red-shirt freshmen, beat to hell, and a new system. It’s completely unfair to not give him at least 2 - 3 years to develop our football program.

Like him or not he deserves a few more years, that's a given. This year sucks...no doubt. We shall see if he can recruit well enough to win with his system. I'm a skeptic, but cetainly still support our coach. That was the first real bad loss in my opinion, and with all the defensive injuries I could see how Meatchickens better athletes did what they did. Hopefully the future is brighter, but I really like the heart of this team...they keep fighting, that's a good sign IMO.

Is he still available? Since most everyone hates PJ here, how would Miles be doing with this group?

I don't hear too many people calling for Fleck to be fired. Fleck deserves 4 years. Les Miles hasn't been hired for a reason.

I don't hear too many people calling for Fleck to be fired. Fleck deserves 4 years. Les Miles hasn't been hired for a reason.

And that reason is ageism.

Miles has a career record of 141-55 and national championship.

That worked so well with Tubby Smith right?

Tubby Smith was an exception, not the rule. He turned out to be a mediocre coach who caught lightning in a bottle in his first year at Kentucky (with someone else's players) and could never replicate it.

Did people actually watch Les Miles teams at LSU? I'm a huge fan of Les but if he couldn't put out a competent offense with 5* athletes how is he going to do it here? People need to have patience. if it's like this in a couple years then bring the pitchforks out but we are in the very early stages of a shift in the program. This year is rough like it usually is with first year coaches. Just gotta let it play out.

Les Miles had a good run because he was a good recruiter in a talent rich area. He was not a good X's/O's coach.

Take him out of that area and he would struggle. He would have been a bad hire here. I do wonder if a lower level SEC team will give him another shot though.

...Bring the pitchforks out...we are in the very early stages of a sh*t in the program...rough, I like it usually...with first year coaches. Just gotta let it...out...long....

I'm going to pretend this is what you said. Now I'm finally smiling.

Miles is well known for his development of quarterbacks and offenses. Also for his game management.

Tubby Smith was an exception, not the rule. He turned out to be a mediocre coach who caught lightning in a bottle in his first year at Kentucky (with someone else's players) and could never replicate it.

You realize you just described les miles right?

You realize you just described les miles right?

No, I didn't. I actually went back and compared their records before I posted it. Miles won a national championship in his third year at LSU, and subsequently finished six more times in the top 20 and twice more in the top 10, including a 13-1 record and #2 national ranking in his 7th year at LSU. In his last full year at LSU they finished 9-3 and were ranked 16th in the AP poll.

I know the LSU fans thought his teams underperformed. I paid some attention to his career and I would compare him more with Doug Woog than Tubby, except that the Wooger never won a national title.

No, I didn't. I actually went back and compared their records before I posted it. Miles won a national championship in his third year at LSU, and subsequently finished six more times in the top 20 and twice more in the top 10, including a 13-1 record and #2 national ranking in his 7th year at LSU. In his last full year at LSU they finished 9-3 and were ranked 16th in the AP poll.

I know the LSU fans thought his teams underperformed. I paid some attention to his career and I would compare him more with Doug Woog than Tubby, except that the Wooger never won a national title.

We will see how well he does at the next job he has assuming he gets one

Miles just isn't charismatic enough. He could never generate the excitement and surge in ticket sales that Fleck has.

Les Miles had a good run because he was a good recruiter in a talent rich area. He was not a good X's/O's coach.

Take him out of that area and he would struggle. He would have been a bad hire here. I do wonder if a lower level SEC team will give him another shot though.

I am not sure what we have seen in Fleck that would lead you to believe he is a good X and O coach. He has never been a coordinator.

Nebraska hates there coach, Gopher fans are just frustrated with losing to Maryland and Purdue. I don't think Gopher fans hate PJ Fleck, a few of us would just like him to quit being kind of a spazz, the running at quarter break stuff is a little bit beneath a Big 10 conference coach maturity wise. He and his staff can coach, that much is clear to me, there is not the chaos there was during the Brewster years, and they have run some plays on offense and defense that indicates to me they are a creative staff willing to try new stuff and ask more of the players.
The whole thing is brand new, it is a brand new staff, new concepts, with players just starting to be able to execute some of the concepts. I expected this year to be a struggle, it is pretty clear it is going to take a different level of athlete and skill players to play as fast and at the championship level they want to grow the program too. They have not done anything that screams yes, fire the coach. Recruiting and better athletes is going to have to be the new lifeblood of the program. Not sure where they will get these guys from as there are not many that exist in the home state back yard. Going to have to pull athletes out of Georgia, North Carolina, Florida, and Missouri, Illinois in order to elevate to the type of skill position guy's they want to win with.

If you think Miles is the answer, you are a pretty average football fan that will just go with flow of other average football fans.

If you think Kiffin is the answer, well you just can't fix stupid!

He did very well at Tulsa and at Georgia. There he had the first back to back 20 wins seasons (had to look it up) in school history, before he went to be a Head Coach at Kentucky. Took two Tulsa teams and one Georgia team to the Sweet 16 too. Understandable that people forget that, but no reason to leave it out.

Never a big fan of his at Minnesota. Always thought that the couldn't/wouldn't adjust to the direction that the "one and done" basketball world had gone too, but to ignore all his success and pretend that he was only a "mediocre" coach isn't really fair to him or correct for that matter.

Now back to the main points of the thread.

Everybody else hates our upperclassmen for putting PJ through this. Just a lot of hate out there right now.

Don't know how Fleck will end up doing. But he's doing what he said he'll do, he went out of his way to not promise for this year. He's still on schedule.

Miles is well known for his development of quarterbacks and offenses. Also for his game management.

I assume this is sarcasm. Miles was well known for NOT developing QBs. Miles just drove the ship that Saban built. Matt Flynn and Jamarcus Russell were Saban guys. Miles didn't bring in a single QB that was worth a damn.

He did very well at Tulsa and at Georgia. There he had the first back to back 20 wins seasons (had to look it up) in school history, before he went to be a Head Coach at Kentucky. Took two Tulsa teams and one Georgia team to the Sweet 16 too. Understandable that people forget that, but no reason to leave it out.

Never a big fan of his at Minnesota. Always thought that the couldn't/wouldn't adjust to the direction that the "one and done" basketball world had gone too, but to ignore all his success and pretend that he was only a "mediocre" coach isn't really fair to him or correct for that matter.

Now back to the main points of the thread.

He did well at TT too. Tubby is a good coach, but not an elite recruiter. I mean he's taken 5 teams to the tourney, every team he has coached except Memphis, which I'd probably guess will get there soon too.

Top Bottom