Les Miles

Whiners who whine about PJ Fleck who are peripatetic whiners will also whine about Les Miles too. Regardless of who gets to coach the Gophers, beware! Perfection from the get go is a must.

If you think it's time well spent then so be it (I can't believe there are actually people like that). I don't. There are other things that don't make this a better team also.

I was referring to our coaches celebration of a made field goal while we were losing earlier this year. I don't recall the exact game but it wasn't a good look to be celebrating while we are losing and makes him look like a fool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nah, I'm not going to get all bent out of shape because of 10 seconds. They're humans, not robots. A few breaks from the reps and/or x's and o's is not a big deal. I've heard from multiple people how efficient they are in their practices.

Also, I'm assuming you don't watch much other football because coaches get excited all the time when a player does something good, even if they are losing.

Raising fists on 4th down, sprinting to the other end between quarters, handing the ball to the ref, etc. all take zero practice and are not big deals at all. On the same note, they are all quite silly and JV'ish. Therefore both arguments in this thread are correct.

Raising fists on 4th down, sprinting to the other end between quarters, handing the ball to the ref, etc. all take zero practice and are not big deals at all. On the same note, they are all quite silly and JV'ish. Therefore both arguments in this thread are correct.

+1

In Fleck's defense on the fourth down signal, I have no problem with the defense doing it if it gets the players amped to put out the maximum effort and get off the field as quickly as possible. In fact, he might want to start having the offensive players raise both arms after each score in an attempt to match the effort that the defense has been putting out, Michigan game excluded.

I've learned some interesting things in the past few days.

- Raising your fists to indicate 4th down is comparable to a cult.
- 10 seconds in practice is a huge deal.

The level of stupidity shown by some is incredible. I witnessed two NFL teams do the exact same thing yesterday. Some will find any reason to fault a coach.

I like the fist in the air.

I think there is a 1 in 100,000 chance it might convince the refs placement on a close first down placement.
That alone is worth the effort if that pivotable placement happens during a game vs Wisconsin to determine who goes to the Big Ten Championship game some year.

I do like the hand the ball to the ref thing.
I like that a lot.

As CentralGopher has so eloquently pointed out, learning how to do these things takes away valuable practice time that could be spent making the players better. Over the course of countless practices and meetings there is no room for any time what-so-ever to be spent on anything other than direct on the field game prep. I bet he hates it when coaches do fun things from time to time in practice too in order to break things up some. All those wasted seconds.....

What would we do if we heard that PJ gave some players some time off of practice or something?

I know the basketball team won both exhibition games, but I dont see how they can possibly win another game this year. I noticed they shake the hands of the ref and opposing players before the game, have a set player announcement in which they high five all their teammates, and go thank the student section for coming after each game. Obviously they must practice this stuff a lot and this takes away from practicing actual basketball. Pitino is a terrible coach for allowing this waste of practice time.

Handing the ball to the ref is silly and JV'ish? All along I thought it showed respect, maturity and sportsmanship. I guess I was wrong.

I like the fist in the air.

I think there is a 1 in 100,000 chance it might convince the refs placement on a close first down placement.
That alone is worth the effort if that pivotable placement happens during a game vs Wisconsin to determine who goes to the Big Ten Championship game some year.

I do like the hand the ball to the ref thing.
I like that a lot.

Ditto. Refs sometimes get confused on whether it is fourth down. It's a solidarity thing, too.

Handing the ball to the ref is silly and JV'ish? All along I thought it showed respect, maturity and sportsmanship. I guess I was wrong.

Not wrong - just thinking too hard about it, IMO. Keep in mind, I wasn't ripping on these actions - I think they are silly, but don't see any negatives about them either.

In the spirit of this thread if the coach was Les Miles handing the ball to the ref would show respect, maturity and sportsmanship.

That bugs me too. Like nobody knows what down it is or something. Just a silly useless thing that does not and will not have anything to do with culture, the process or winning. Way to much time in practice has been wasted teaching players to do useless things like this rather than fundamentals like tackling and route running and etc.

"Why does the President of the United States spend five minutes on ESPN every March going over his NCAA tournament picks? Think what he could be doing with that time! He could be stopping all the wars, or solving the hunger problem, or achieving world peace!"

Famed UCLA coach John Wooden: "We're going to take time in practice to learn how to properly put on socks and shoes." http://newsroom.ucla.edu/stories/wooden-shoes-and-socks-84177

GH reaction: "That's quite silly and JV-ish. Get him outta here!"

"Then we're gonna let Sam Gilbert hand out all the cash and teach you how to properly pretend it didn't happen."

That lesson was far more important to Wooden's UCLA Dynasty.

That was truly was one of the dirty little secrets. Although maybe not so secret anymore.

The raising of the fists and the ball being handed to the ref I actually like...Can we get back to my original post about him running up and down the sidelines between quarters...Please defend that and tell me its not moronic and laughable for fans to have to watch at the games.....Whether up by 20 or down by 20, its silly and I wish he would stop doing it.

The raising of the fists and the ball being handed to the ref I actually like...Can we get back to my original post about him running up and down the sidelines between quarters...Please defend that and tell me its not moronic and laughable for fans to have to watch at the games.....Whether up by 20 or down by 20, its silly and I wish he would stop doing it.

I think it helps keep the player's minds active in the game, especially when losing. I know when I'm playing a sport and losing, especially if its a tough game, I need someone to light a fire under me again. Racing my coach to the other side of the field would do the trick for me IMO.

Could also be a bit of a mind game. In a long grueling game the opponent looks over and sees the players sprinting down the sideline and thinks "They still have enough energy to sprint?". Just spit balling.

Tubby Smith was an exception, not the rule. He turned out to be a mediocre coach who caught lightning in a bottle in his first year at Kentucky (with someone else's players) and could never replicate it.

Please. His success at Tulsa, Georgia and Texas Tech does not show a mediocre coach or someone who 'got lucky'. His best team here got derailed by outside issues, and he was unable or unwilling to recover from it. His hire was still the best move at the time.

I feel fairly certain that Miles would have been a better coach for right now, but Fleck probably has the higher ceiling. We have no choice but to wait and find out.

Please. His success at Tulsa, Georgia and Texas Tech does not show a mediocre coach or someone who 'got lucky'. His best team here got derailed by outside issues, and he was unable or unwilling to recover from it. His hire was still the best move at the time.

I feel fairly certain that Miles would have been a better coach for right now, but Fleck probably has the higher ceiling. We have no choice but to wait and find out.

Tubby was absolutely the right hire when it happened. And it worked great for a few years. But after that, it seemed like he felt he had an unlimited leash and mailed it in. His recruiting was terrible, and he seemed to have lost interest. I was beyond happy when they hired him, supported him his first 4 years, and was beyond happy when they fired him.

Tubby was absolutely the right hire when it happened. And it worked great for a few years. But after that, it seemed like he felt he had an unlimited leash and mailed it in. His recruiting was terrible, and he seemed to have lost interest. I was beyond happy when they hired him, supported him his first 4 years, and was beyond happy when they fired him.

Yep.

Have you heard Les Miles doing TV color commentary? He seems to have trouble forming sentences, and rarely has anything insightful to say. He was plopped right on Boardwalk at LSU in terms of recruiting, and still got run out of town. It would be a disaster here.

Have you heard Les Miles doing TV color commentary? He seems to have trouble forming sentences, and rarely has anything insightful to say. He was plopped right on Boardwalk at LSU in terms of recruiting, and still got run out of town. It would be a disaster here.

"Run out of town" after 10+ years and a Natty.

I think it helps keep the player's minds active in the game, especially when losing. I know when I'm playing a sport and losing, especially if its a tough game, I need someone to light a fire under me again. Racing my coach to the other side of the field would do the trick for me IMO.

Could also be a bit of a mind game. In a long grueling game the opponent looks over and sees the players sprinting down the sideline and thinks "They still have enough energy to sprint?". Just spit balling.

It's fricking ridiculous, makes him look like an idiot and the program look junior high.

Top Bottom