Michigan Postgame Presser Notes

Reaction score
P.J. Fleck
As a team, we really have to learn from this. Physically, emotionally, mentally, we’ve got to learn from this.

The environment’s really special. That’s a no-brainer. Pouring down rain, 40-something degrees there’s 100,000 people here. That’s Michigan.

We’ve been in four rain delays the entire year, we’re really prepared for it.

This team needs to learn how to fail. They’re learning how to fail and how to respond to that.

I never question their effort. It’s one thing I love about our team, I never question their effort. They gave everything they had tonight, it just wasn’t good enough. We got beat by a better team. Period.

[Getting to a bowl] is not of importance to me. I’m the same guy who went 1-11 in year one my first year. We’re going to do what we have to do to make sure nothing compromises the culture...My focus is to get better tomorrow, more than we were today.

“We are where we are, and I’ve been through this before. We are exactly where we’re supposed to be, no matter anybody’s opinions or judgements...we got whooped. On the way to being a champion, on the way to being successful, you have to understand what it feels like to be whooped. And we got whooped.”

“We’re not strong enough. We’re one of the least experienced and youngest football teams...we had to go against these grown men over here...we got thrown around a lot today.”

Rodney Smith

“They’re a good defense. We knew they were going to make adjustments. They just did a good job on the interior of stopping what we wanted to do between the tackles.”

On Khaleke Hudson:
“Heck of a ball player. He did his job, made plays all over the field. He had a huge impact on the defense today.”

“We’re still playing for a lot. I think it’s important that guys keep that in mind. As players, we have to make sure everybody knows that. We can’t have things like we had happen tonight with Donnell. That’s not how we play football. The players will handle it. I’m sure the coaches will, too.”

Blake Cashman

I think it all comes to execution. I thought the coaches did a great job of getting us into a gameplan, we just didn’t execute well.

They broke a lot of tackles. That was ultimately what hurt us was we couldn't execute on tackling and they were able to break the big runs.

Regarding the ejected player he said that's 100% not our culture and he'll have to pay the consequences for that.

Not sure if that's going to be a self-imposed game suspension or something else.

P.J. Fleck[Getting to a bowl] is not of importance to me. I’m the same guy who went 1-11 in year one my first year. We’re going to do what we have to do to make sure nothing compromises the culture...My focus is to get better tomorrow, more than we were today.

This is going to make a lot of people lose their minds.

I don't think I have ever heard anyone tell a team you need to learn how to fail. How does that go?

"Ok guys. You are too good, you need to learn how to fail in life. Now go out there and lose!!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After that defensive performance it won't be too hard to get better tomorrow.

PJ is definitely right about two things. #1 We played hard on defense. They were workin' hard. The problem was the plan...you, know when it's 4th and one and the defense crowds the line of scrimmage to stuff the run? Then the guy hits a crease and he's gone for a touchdown...well, that seemed to be our philosophy most of tonight. These guys got past the line of scrimmage and there was nobody to tackle them. I don't think the defense played bad, I thought our plan was flawed.

Offensively, I don't care if we recruit Tom Brady and Adrian Peterson in their prime...we are not going to gain any yardage on so many plays that are dead before they begin. The play calling is horrendous. How many times are you going to try and trick them with the wildcat? How wide open was the read option for Croft to keep the ball when Rodney got buried behind the line of scrimmage? Why does it seem we run the ball better with McCrary and Cole than Smith? We did have a couple nice drives early but we didn't adjust...they did! So, #2 PJ is right, it is his fault until we get better schemes because no matter who plays we'll be out coached.

And ya, there was the bowl game doesn't matter quote, AGAIN. By tomorrow he'll be talking how important it is for the seniors, again. Farmers Alliance PJ. Tell, the truth...it's easier to remember what you said.

I also do not agree with throwing Donnell under the bus. He made a mistake. He retaliated. Yes, he was wrong. He had passion and cared we were getting our lunch. Don't single him out. Just, "That's my fault, not Donnell's. I have to prepare these guys better. We need to maintain our composure. That's my bad. He's a great kid. We'll learn from it and change our best"

I don't think I have ever heard anyone tell a team you need to learn how to fail. How does that go?

"Ok guys. You are too good, you need to learn how to fail in life. Now go out there and lose!!"

We get it. You hate Fleck.

Come back when we have a new coach.

We get it. You hate Fleck.

Come back when we have a new coach.

I don't hate Fleck, but I am completely underwhelmed by him.

I don't know how this guy is worth $3 plus million a year. I guess that we should be grateful he took a pay cut to come here.

Is this question directed at the gophers or maybe Urban Meyer?

This is going to make a lot of people lose their minds.

Lose their minds? No.

Saying "getting to a bowl game is not of importance to me" is an asinine thing to say. Period. That is one of the main goals for every D1 football team.

Repeating it is even more ridiculous. To me, it shows an utter lack of respect for your upperclassmen and your fans.

I don't hate Fleck, but I am completely underwhelmed by him.

I don't know how this guy is worth $3 plus million a year. I guess that we should be grateful he took a pay cut to come here.

How little do you want to pay your Big Ten coaches?
Good luck!

Lose their minds? No.

Saying "getting to a bowl game is not of importance to me" is an asinine thing to say. Period. That is one of the main goals for every D1 football team.

Repeating it is even more ridiculous. To me, it shows an utter lack of respect for your upperclassmen and your fans.

Ok. So PJ has no respect for the fans and the upperclassmen.

Hard to envision, but okay...:confused:

I can understand why you are confused. Take a moment and think about what he says. Repeatedly. Perhaps you will see the light.

I'm sure he does. This is another example of PJ just saying dumb things. Like he always does. To me, that is more the point.

How little do you want to pay your Big Ten coaches?
Good luck!

Well, if your pulling down $3 plus million a year, getting routed in conference play and saying wins don't matter, I'm not going to sit here and say what a great coach he is. Wins matter. Looking competent matters. I am not seeing wins nor competency. I want Fleck to succeed, but I am getting more concerned every week.

Fleck is going to get his time no matter how much I or anyone else criticizes him. I get that people don't like coming in here and seeing people, like me, criticize Fleck, especially since he is going to be here for at least 4 years, including year 0, no matter how much we suck.

Nevertheless, I don't understand why people get so bent out of shape about people criticizing Fleck. If you can't criticize your coach on a message board, why have it exist? Shut it down so no one has to hear someone else's opinion and no one's feelings will be hurt.

While I don't believe that Claeys would have won last night's game, I do believe that we would be Bowl eligible right now under Claeys. This is more, to me, the point of my frustration. We hire this loud mouth coach, who rips on the past coaches and culture and when it is time for him to back up his talk we look like we are taking a large step backwards from the prior regime. He then blames lack of talent, now he blames himself. Which is it?

Maybe Fleck can turn it around and I hope he does. The criticism of lack of talent does play a role in explaining last night's loss, but there are games Fleck should have won that he didn't. That concerns me.

I will continue to criticize Fleck when appropriate, but if the guy turns it around I will give him all the credit he deserves. Just because I criticize him doesn't mean I want him to fail. I just want my Gophers to win and it is frustrating hearing all his malarkey from Fleck leading up to this season and then watch this team crap the bed.

I don't have blind faith he will take us to the promised land. I will continue to watch and post my thoughts, positive, critical and otherwise.

I am amazed at how many posts that reference that Flect will grow and learn as he goes on. That it it is a step up from the MAC. You don't pay someone 3 million for on the job training. We did that with Brewster already.

I am amazed at how many posts that reference that Flect will grow and learn as he goes on. That it it is a step up from the MAC. You don't pay someone 3 million for on the job training. We did that with Brewster already.

I actually don't see many posts (if any) that say Fleck will learn as he goes.

Most of the Fleck defense is:

1. Let him get his own players to run his own system.
2. Players he has are adjusting to his system.
3. Hate to say it, but we don't have the best or deepest O-line, D-Line, or secondary.

Those seem to be the points I've seen most frequently.

I would be disappointed if Fleck didn't say that (about not caring of getting to a bowl).

After everything he's said, done, installed, and promoted ... if he were to say "WELL ... I mean, it would be nice to go to a bowl game this year ... so maybe we can bend the rules just this one time, just a little white lie that won't hurt anyone" .... that would completely invalidate everything he preaches.

I would be disappointed if Fleck didn't say that (about not caring of getting to a bowl).

After everything he's said, done, installed, and promoted ... if he were to say "WELL ... I mean, it would be nice to go to a bowl game this year ... so maybe we can bend the rules just this one time, just a little white lie that won't hurt anyone" .... that would completely invalidate everything he preaches.

If he said something like that, we'd have 22 Gopherhole posters reacting within 7 minutes about what a fraud PJ is.

I don't mind people coming on here and being critical after a loss, but for two of the last three weeks people have posted stuff like...

"There has never been less interest in Gopher football than now"
"This is an all time low for me"
"I've never been more embarrassed".

It's essential Dan Barreiro style comments they are going with, working any angle to get their pot-shot in.
It seems as if some are working hard to keep their opinions strictly negative as long as Fleck is coach.

Some guys are purposely spelling his name wrong.
Some guys are creating their own login name just to mock him.
It's a real hot pile of garbage is what we're seeing posted on here. It's obviously meant to troll the people who like Fleck and who think he needs three years.

I don't mind people actually criticizing his football decisions, but the amount of people going trolling after each loss gets old.

The thing about criticism is, if there's a kernel of truth in there it tends to be more upsetting than if it's plainly just trolling and people can laugh it off. If there's this much debate on a diehard discussion board the general public isn't going to be understanding of 1-5 and losses to the likes of Purdue and Maryland.

I should preface all my statements that I think Fleck deserves 3 years at minimum. He's adapting to the Big Ten just like freshmen players.

The thing about criticism is, if there's a kernel of truth in there it tends to be more upsetting than if it's plainly just trolling and people can laugh it off. If there's this much debate on a diehard discussion board the general public isn't going to be understanding of 1-5 and losses to the likes of Purdue and Maryland.

I should preface all my statements that I think Fleck deserves 3 years at minimum. He's adapting to the Big Ten just like freshmen players.
I think the general public is a lot more patient that the die-hards, however.

Most casual fans realize it's year one, and there next comment is that it looks like we need a QB.

Not as in depth as die hards, but seems accurate.

I think the general public is a lot more patient that the die-hards, however.

Most casual fans realize it's year one, and there next comment is that it looks like we need a QB.

Not as in depth as die hards, but seems accurate.

Do you have a poll to back this up? My casual fan friends haven't brought the Gophs up this season and one openly ridicules "pajama man". Or shall we look at ticket sale figures? Season ticket sales next year will be most telling. The remaining home games vs Neb and Wisconsin will be populated by opposing fans.

Do you have a poll to back this up? My casual fan friends haven't brought the Gophs up this season and one openly ridicules "pajama man". Or shall we look at ticket sale figures? Season ticket sales next year will be most telling. The remaining home games vs Neb and Wisconsin will be populated by opposing fans.

No.

Casual fans don't go to Gopherhole and respond to polls.
That's just casual conversations with family / co-workers.

Top Bottom