Fleck: We got whooped...100% my fault

What does he mean by "not going to compromise anything to sacrifice the culture"?
You don't have to sacrifice culture by calling a good game plan.

Installing a culture of learning to fail. He is doing a great job of it.

I've been a huge Fleck supporter but that stupid wildcat play was so dumb. I wouldn't even call that play in NCAA 14 up by 50. Not sure what's going on with the play calling. Obviously need more screens and short passes if we can't run. Is cirocca actually limegrover in disguise?

He isn't that good, disguise or not.

Gophers beaten by "grown men." That is an interesting culture to be building.

Don't talk about being young, having too many underclassman, so many freshmen and RS freshmen on the team, and then say "it's my fault." The excuse came first and it invalidated the mea culpa.

Admittedly, I'm a skeptic. But, after 10 months listening to Fleck, I'm still not sure what "culture" really means. The meaning seems to change depending on the context and the situation.

To my admittedly skeptical view, "culture" seems to be a magic word that means whatever Fleck wants it to mean at the moment.

Every team has a way it wants to do things. every team has an approach it's trying to follow. I do not believe that Fleck has figured out some secret or mystical approach to football that no one else has ever figured out.

He wants "culture" to have some higher meaning. I don't see it. That is part of what bugs me about Fleck - he gives the impression that he knows something that other coaches don't know. He doesn't. In the end, it still comes back to recruiting players, installing offensive and defensive schemes, and coaching those schemes.

TO BE CLEAR - I am NOT saying Fleck is a bad coach. I suspect that he and his staff are finding the move to the B1G to be more difficult than they expected, and finding that what worked in the MAC may not work as well, or may not work the same way, against a higher level of competition.

Fleck MAY turn out to be a good coach at the B1G level. But right now, he's learning on the job, and we can all see the results.

Yeah, he's been dipping into the 1-11 well lately too. I guess to point out that he has the wherewithal to make it through this. Starting to think he really believes they have to have a really, really lousy season so everything can go according to plan.

What does he mean by "not going to compromise anything to sacrifice the culture"?
You don't have to sacrifice culture by calling a good game plan.

I don't think the statement really means anything. I think it's a fairly content ambiguous term he throws out when trying to defend himself. Sort of like when a politician claims to be a defender or advocate for "family" or "American" values.

What do Flect and Butch Jones of Tennessee have in common. Both want to be "champions of life" I hope it turns out better for us than Tennessee.

Admittedly, I'm a skeptic. But, after 10 months listening to Fleck, I'm still not sure what "culture" really means. The meaning seems to change depending on the context and the situation.

To my admittedly skeptical view, "culture" seems to be a magic word that means whatever Fleck wants it to mean at the moment.

Every team has a way it wants to do things. every team has an approach it's trying to follow. I do not believe that Fleck has figured out some secret or mystical approach to football that no one else has ever figured out.

He wants "culture" to have some higher meaning. I don't see it. That is part of what bugs me about Fleck - he gives the impression that he knows something that other coaches don't know. He doesn't. In the end, it still comes back to recruiting players, installing offensive and defensive schemes, and coaching those schemes.

TO BE CLEAR - I am NOT saying Fleck is a bad coach. I suspect that he and his staff are finding the move to the B1G to be more difficult than they expected, and finding that what worked in the MAC may not work as well, or may not work the same way, against a higher level of competition.

Fleck MAY turn out to be a good coach at the B1G level. But right now, he's learning on the job, and we can all see the results.

Basically, what you have is this:

If you win - no one cares what coaching gimmicks you use or don't use.

If you lose - whatever it is you do, or don't do, gets real old, real fast.

Yeah, he's been dipping into the 1-11 well lately too. I guess to point out that he has the wherewithal to make it through this. Starting to think he really believes they have to have a really, really lousy season so everything can go according to plan.

He could put the "six HCs in 11 years" one to bed too, since it's really five (Horton) in 20 years. I sure hope there's a method to whatever he feels he needs to do to take Gophs to the next level.

Fleck may be able to raise the recruiting talent with his culture that he preaches to the kids, however, I have a hard time believing he can recruit great coaches to be on his staff as he would be a really tough guy to report to with his culture for an adult.

Fleck may be able to raise the recruiting talent with his culture that he preaches to the kids, however, I have a hard time believing he can recruit great coaches to be on his staff as he would be a really tough guy to report to with his culture for an adult.

He has a staff, why would he need to recruit anyone?

Basically, what you have is this:

If you win - no one cares what coaching gimmicks you use or don't use.

If you lose - whatever it is you do, or don't do, gets real old, real fast.

Agree with the 2nd point but the 1st? When teams win using "gimmicks" those gimmick/trick plays are talked about quite a bit. Iowa's fake punt from yesterday will be remembered. Dantonio and all his variations of fake kicks and Leach's wacky passing game plays come to mind. Come to think of it, as long as you win on a regular or semi-regular basis, people will remember that kind of stuff.

I thought PJ's "grown men" comment was a slap in the face of his team, not to mention that it isn't true. A Badger fan went to the trouble of analyzing the rosters.

PJ said this in his postgame presser, "We're one of the least experienced and youngest football teams, and everybody gets on me about that but that's reality and we're going to go against these grown men over here."

P.J., bubbeleh, this is exactly why "everybody gets on" you, you simpleton. Let's go to the CONTENT! I took Michigan's depth chart and gave each player a number associated with their class Freshman = 1, Sophomore=2, etc.

Michigan starting 22 grown man index (GMI) = 2.636364

Minnesota's starting 22 GMI = 2.636364

I'm no statistician and 22 is a small sample size, but those numbers seem fairly close. Maybe even within a standard deviation and ****.

The null hypothesis that PJ is a bull****ting crapweasel is confirmed.

I thought PJ's "grown men" comment was a slap in the face of his team, not to mention that it isn't true. A Badger fan went to the trouble of analyzing the rosters.

Why do you post here?

Agree with the 2nd point but the 1st? When teams win using "gimmicks" those gimmick/trick plays are talked about quite a bit. Iowa's fake punt from yesterday will be remembered. Dantonio and all his variations of fake kicks and Leach's wacky passing game plays come to mind. Come to think of it, as long as you win on a regular or semi-regular basis, people will remember that kind of stuff.

Read the post I quoted, and the posts in this thread. Everyone is talking about "culture" this and that.

That's what I mean by "coaching gimmicks". Not trick plays. Brewster was the same way, he had a whole shtick and routine that he put on. He didn't win, and it got old. If Fleck doesn't win, his act will get old too. But if Fleck wins, no one is going care how annoying he is or not.

Read the post I quoted, and the posts in this thread. Everyone is talking about "culture" this and that.

That's what I mean by "coaching gimmicks". Not trick plays. Brewster was the same way, he had a whole shtick and routine that he put on. He didn't win, and it got old. If Fleck doesn't win, his act will get old too. But if Fleck wins, no one is going care how annoying he is or not.

Never heard coaching style referred to "gimmicks" before, but agree with your point.

Fine, I was wrong. I'll call it coaching style.

That is what I meant, sorry for the confusion.

Watched Iowa play a near perfect game. Then I watched the Gophers and it was like seeing St. Scholastica against the Patriots. Iowa runs the most amazing trick plays. Our trick is we switch to wildcat and nothing comes of it. Where the hell is Richardson?????? Our defensive ends were fooled on so many plays. This was a nightmare. Then we go for a field goal at the end instead of trying for a 5-yard touchdown. Are you f'ing kidding me. Fleck is a huge disappointment. At least he can outrun Harbaugh. At least Wacker could score a lot of points. When the hell is the culture going to kick in? Bring me a joint someone please.

And the ioweeee staff has been there for how many years? Has all his own recruits. You must be from the I want instant gratification generation.

Good post. Can Fleck allow himself to change course? His faith in his system seems to be absolute, but what if it turns out in year 3 the team is still underperforming? Will he then bring in a power run coordinator and start to utilize a fullback, etc?

I suspect like most leaders of a "faith", in this case PJ's culture, it may be too upsetting to the faithful to change course. However, we're already seeing signs that maybe he can adapt: recruiting immediate JUCO help along the lines and at QB, for example.

I don't think Fleck is dumb, in fact the opposite, and he's extremely competitive. If he can bring in more talented players to maximize his schemes, or maybe change his schemes or expand certain packages e.g. short yardage (or coaches if necessary) he can be very successful. However, if he changes course, like Brew did, and continues to flail like Brew did the fan base will be very critical. It will be interesting.

Good post. Can Fleck allow himself to change course? His faith in his system seems to be absolute, but what if it turns out in year 3 the team is still underperforming? Will he then bring in a power run coordinator and start to utilize a fullback, etc?

I suspect like most leaders of a "faith", in this case PJ's culture, it may be too upsetting to the faithful to change course. However, we're already seeing signs that maybe he can adapt: recruiting immediate JUCO help along the lines and at QB, for example.

I don't think Fleck is dumb, in fact the opposite, and he's extremely competitive. If he can bring in more talented players to maximize his schemes, or maybe change his schemes or expand certain packages e.g. short yardage (or coaches if necessary) he can be very successful. However, if he changes course, like Brew did, and continues to flail like Brew did the fan base will be very critical. It will be interesting.

I'm trying to figure out where the "Too" and "Crack" attitude and mindset went.

I honestly think some people are just trying too hard. Culture to me is just a different word for system, way of doing things, etc. And Fleck is not the only person who uses the word culture. I've heard NC St reference it, for example.

I'm trying to figure out where the "Too" and "Crack" attitude and mindset went.

I've said it before but I feel like there is an internal (or perhaps literal) script PJ is following. This week we'll run exclusively inside zone no matter what. I won't burn redshirts in Year 0. Won't run Rhoda. Have to fail to grow in year 0.

I had a lady friend that literally had every year of her life planned out in a three ring binder; promotions, children, house, etc. It freaked me out so much I had to move on.

The badgers have a chance of making the playoffs and their fans are wasting time dissecting our roster and what our coach says.

I've said it before but I feel like there is an internal (or perhaps literal) script PJ is following. This week we'll run exclusively inside zone no matter what. I won't burn redshirts in Year 0. Won't run Rhoda. Have to fail to grow in year 0.

I had a lady friend that literally had every year of her life planned out in a three ring binder; promotions, children, house, etc. It freaked me out so much I had to move on.

Could be what we're seeing, I dunno. Trying to square that attitude he expressed at the intro presser with his narrative since the season has started. They seem pretty divergent.

The badgers have a chance of making the playoffs and their fans are wasting time dissecting our roster and what our coach says.

Well, they've pretty much been hitting on all cylinders up to this point, so not a whole lot to dissect for those fans. Top 20/10 in rush offense, pass efficiency, scoring defense, total defense, TOP (#1)...

If Fleck changes his scheme in year three that isn’t a sign of genius it is a sign of idiocy.
If he changes scheme in year three we should just save the time and get rid of him then.

He says that he used the exact same script to take W Michigan from 1-11 to 13-0 and a NY6 Bowl Game vs Wisconsin.

If true, why would you not at least try to follow the exact same script?

He says that he used the exact same script to take W Michigan from 1-11 to 13-0 and a NY6 Bowl Game vs Wisconsin.

If true, why would you not at least try to follow the exact same script?

Because maybe, what worked in the MAC will not work the same way in the B1G?

Top Bottom