Post Game Thoughts

Dano564

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score
1. This game pretty much went how I expected. No shocker to lose at Michigan.

2. Kids did a good job closing the door in the 4th quarter. (We won the 4th quarter 3-0). :)

3. A good chunk of their yardage came on those three long runs. I'm not sure what happened there, but it was surprising to see we never had anyone in the secondary who could make a saving tackle.
Not sure if the secondary is slow, hurt, tired or just way out of position, but I haven't seen anything like that since Corey Dillon ran for 5 TD's when he was with the Bengals. (Or Shaun Alexander against the Vikings)

4. Kids are buying to to what Fleck preaches. Even when hit with a fatal blow to go down 33-0. They stop the 2 point conversion which was a moral victory at the time. At that point in the game it felt like it was going to be 50-something to 7. Michigan (after what happened today in other games) could use all the style points they could get. Proud of the kids for playing hard.

5. Disappointed in the negativity of many of the fans on here. Many in the game thread seemed to want to see things get worse "trainwreck" style.
29,22,58,23, and 24 were the margins of loss during the last 5 losses of the Kill and Mason eras. It was uglier in the 90's.

To use @Michigan as your barometer on how good a coach is seems like a exercise of poor judgement.

Seems like some people just want to be angry.

2. Kids did a good job closing the door in the 4th quarter. (We won the 4th quarter 3-0). :)

3. A good chunk of their yardage came on those three long runs. I'm not sure what happened there, but it was surprising to see we never had anyone in the secondary who could make a saving tackle.
Not sure if the secondary is slow, hurt, tired or just way out of position, but I haven't seen anything like that since Corey Dillon ran for 5 TD's when he was with the Bengals. (Or Shaun Alexander against the Vikings)

4. Kids are buying to to what Fleck preaches. Even when hit with a fatal blow to go down 33-0. They stop the 2 point conversion which was a moral victory at the time. At that point in the game it felt like it was going to be 50-something to 7. Michigan (after what happened today in other games) could use all the style points they could get. Proud of the kids for playing hard.

5. Disappointed in the negativity of many of the fans on here. Many in the game thread seemed to want to see things get worse "trainwreck" style.
29,22,58,23, and 24 were the margins of loss during the last 5 losses of the Kill and Mason eras. It was uglier in the 90's.

To use @Michigan as your barometer on how good a coach is seems like a exercise of poor judgement.

1. Not at all what I expected. I have higher expectations for the team than you apparently.
2. Means nothing when Michigan took its foot off the gas.
3. Fox mentioned this was the first time a power 5 school had given up 3 60+ yard runs in some ridiculous amount of time. Secondary was out of position a lot.
4. The kids might be buying into Fleck, but I saw no evidence of it tonight.
5. Lost by 3 in 2015, won by 16 in 2014. Not sure where your numbers came from.

I think you were watching one of the games coached by Kill because I didn't see any of this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. Not at all what I expected. I have higher expectations for the team than you apparently.
3. Fox mentioned this was the first time a power 5 school had given up 3 60+ yard runs in some ridiculous amount of time. Secondary was out of position a lot.

1. Sorry you have Maroon glasses on.
2. Mich would have no reason to take the foot off the pedal right after they went for 2 and didn't convert.
3. Okay. Could be. Don't know where the secondary was, but we'll blame them.
4. Fists in the air on every 4th down. Stronger 4th quarter play. I didn't see anyone quit. Let me know who you saw.
5. I said "last losses during Mason and Kill" to show what the typical loss to those guys were during a non-interim coach. I took out the win because it was a win, and we lost today, so I'm comparing losses. This is a typical loss to Michigan so no need to panic than any of those other years. That's why I said out of the last losses under Kill and Mason.

Loved the fight to the end attitude. We should receive a downsized jug for winning the 4th quarter.

The biggest takeaway that I have from this game is that we completely lack talent at some key positions.

OL - We just get no movement at all up front. We cannot handle B1G defensive lines. Until this changes, it does NOT matter who our QB, RBs, or WRs are. Croft has a good arm. You can complain all you want about how he's not the answer, but put a decent line in front of him and some receivers that can get open, and he will be just fine.

WR - Tyler Johnson is a good player, but that's what he is, a good player. He can not get open against top competition. Where would he be on the depth chart at a great offensive school? #2? #3? I guarantee that he would not be a team's #1 option.

DB - Yes, we are really beat up in the secondary and some of the younger guys could turn into players, but we have some players back there that just do NOT have the speed to play at the B1G level. The Michigan running backs looked like 100m champions against them tonight.

I am still on the boat and will always be on the boat. This is a tough year and it probably won't end very well, but I think the recruiting season will be great, and people will be positive.

I love of all of the true die-hard Gopher fans are all coming on here posting "House on fire, house on fire" after a loss at Michigan.

Priceless.

I love of all of the true die-hard Gopher fans are all coming on here posting "House on fire, house on fire" after a loss at Michigan.

Priceless.

Says the guy who was banned.

The biggest takeaway that I have from this game is that we completely lack talent at some key positions.

OL - We just get no movement at all up front. We cannot handle B1G defensive lines. Until this changes, it does NOT matter who our QB, RBs, or WRs are. Croft has a good arm. You can complain all you want about how he's not the answer, but put a decent line in front of him and some receivers that can get open, and he will be just fine.

WR - Tyler Johnson is a good player, but that's what he is, a good player. He can not get open against top competition. Where would he be on the depth chart at a great offensive school? #2? #3? I guarantee that he would not be a team's #1 option.

DB - Yes, we are really beat up in the secondary and some of the younger guys could turn into players, but we have some players back there that just do NOT have the speed to play at the B1G level. The Michigan running backs looked like 100m champions against them tonight.

I am still on the boat and will always be on the boat. This is a tough year and it probably won't end very well, but I think the recruiting season will be great, and people will be positive.

Solid analysis. You said it a lot shorter than I did here

OL - Agree. Croft had barely any time. Yes, a couple times he could have tossed it sooner, but I doubt he had open targets.

WR - Agree. Tyler is a good player, but when he got caught from behind against Iowa with a running 5 yard head start and got caught in 30-40 yards, it showed some limitations.

DB - It was unbelievable how fast the RB's looked against our secondary. I can see RB's running past linebackers like that, but usually a CB is going to be close, and with an angle, they can catch 'em, but the RB's were pulling away easily tonight.

Priceless.

We have 1 B1G win, and have the easiest schedule in the conference. We lost to Purdue.

You're right, the house isn't on fire. It's a smoldering pile of ash. Regardless of who people want to point the finger at, it's still happening. I don't see how pretending like that's not happening provides any benefit.

It seemed like Duke was running in sand tonight. They seemed to struggle with positioning and angles which led to diving arm tackles. Winfield would have really helped out there tonight.

Not making the young QB beat you felt like a missed opportunity. When he did drop back, held the ball too long a couple of times and led to sacks. But in the end he didn't really need to do much. I had hoped it would have been him needing to beat us.

Says the guy who was banned.

Says the guy who was banned, who predicted 5-7 or 6-6 for months and months, and who was the closest for predicting the game score for 3 of the 6-7 weeks that he was able to participate.

Need to ban more people like me who see things clearly.

We don't want that here.

Says the guy who was banned, who predicted 5-7 or 6-6 for months and months, and who was the closest for predicting the game score for 3 of the 6-7 weeks that he was able to participate.

We don't want that here.

I'm guessing it was for other reasons.

I'm guessing it was for other reasons.

I bumped two threads.

A "PJ Fleck to Purdue" one from during the off-season. Bumped because the comments about him never coming here were ironic.
Also another one about something during the off-season.

Do that twice and you get banned. Don't bump threads on Gopherhole.

I bumped two threads.

A "PJ Fleck to Purdue" one from during the off-season. Bumped because the comments about him never coming here were ironic.
Also another one about something during the off-season.

Do that twice and you get banned. Don't bump threads on Gopherhole.

So how do you get "unbumped" ?

I agree, this product doesn't compare to the teams Kill and Claeys were putting on the field, maybe they will with time, not there now.

Does the buying into what Fleck preaches have any meaning when you play like this.

This is what I expected the first year, next year? I will be highly critical if the same thing happens next year.

We don't want that here.
"A minister who applauds himself has a congregation of 1."

This game was really boring to watch in the second half. I never liked how the defensive alignment was the whole game.thought should have ditched 5 man front offset to much. Two backside linebackers to tight to the line of scrimmage to react to the counter, or cutbacks. Defensive tackles getting caught up in the wash slanting in to each other. Attacking the ball carrier wit flat feet and not squared up shoulders or doving,and strong safety and linebackers running out of there gaps. Been a long time since I saw a Gopher defense give up this many explosive plays. I thought the alignment from the first snap was a bad front to show against the power I look. This was geometry they hit the GOphers hard in spots where there were not enough people to support even 1 mistake. Offensive play calling to not adjust from all those late developing routes, and all of that downfield stuff. Seemed like receivers were in the same area far to much. Offensive play calling allowed Michigan to make 13 tackles for loss. That is fairly absurd number. MICHIGAN coaches had a much better game plan, it wasnt just talent, alrhough it was clear thwy gad the better pkayers up front.

We don't want that here.

Says the guy who puffed out his chest saying how good Maryland was. They beat Texas! There is no shame in losing to Maryland at home.

I haven't seen the game on TV or read any other thread on here but this one tonight - but these are my overwhelming thoughts from row 26 at the B1G House...
1. We were so beat at the line of scrimmage tonight (both OL and DL) I can't think of a word grand enough to describe it.
2. Cashman played well. Santoso was awesome.
3. Our WRs get zero separation. OMG. Zero.
4. DC11 isn't good, but I put little on him tonight. See 1 & 3 tonight.
5. MI fans - restaurants, tailgating, at the game, were awesome.
6. MN isn't the only place that exaggerates attendance numbers.

I haven't seen the game on TV or read any other thread on here but this one tonight - but these are my overwhelming thoughts from row 26 at the B1G House...
1. We were so beat at the line of scrimmage tonight (both OL and DL) I can't think of a word grand enough to describe it.
2. Cashman played well. Santoso was awesome.
3. Our WRs get zero separation. OMG. Zero.
4. DC11 isn't good, but I put little on him tonight. See 1 & 3 tonight.
5. MI fans - restaurants, tailgating, at the game, were awesome.
6. MN isn't the only place that exaggerates attendance numbers.

Thanks for the report, especially #3. We can't see that on TV.

1. Agree. Seems like they were bigger, strong, faster.
2. Seems to be the consensus among everyone.
3. Was wondering about this. Croft didn't have much time, and never threw a quick hitter, so we assumed no one was open.
4. 4th, yeh... about that QB situation...
5. Sounds like it was a fun time.
6 There were 100,000 fans there we heard. They said it on TV.

Top Bottom