What grade wold you give Fleck in his first Jug game?

First Jug game for Fleck. What's your grade?

• A

Votes: 14 11.2%
  • B

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • C

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • D

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • F

Votes: 54 43.2%

• Total voters
Wow.
Been a Gopher fan all my life. From Maple Lake.
Live in Knoxville TN now, talk about unrealistic fan expectations.
I’m one that is on board with giving Fleck time, he needs an adjustment period as well, he’s human
I’m not one that is an expert in these areas just a die hard Gooher fan In my opinion Clayswas taking us nowhere in recruiting.
I’m going to wait a couple of years before I pass judgment on whether these guys can coach or not, I do know they can coach Better then me��.

Different kids today. I look at what Franklin is doing at Penn St. he is a high energy type of guy as well, like Fleck, and it’s seems to be working there

Just my 2 cents we where definitely out manned last night and that’s not Flecks fault. Would a few different play calls have won us the game? Not last night

Wow.
I’m one that is on board with giving Fleck time, he needs an adjustment period as well, he’s human
I’m not one that is an expert in these areas just a die hard Gooher fan In my opinion Clayswas taking us nowhere in recruiting.
I’m going to wait a couple of years before I pass judgment on whether these guys can coach or not, I do know they can coach Better then me��.

Different kids today. I look at what Franklin is doing at Penn St. he is a high energy type of guy as well, like Fleck, and it’s seems to be working there

Just my 2 cents we where definitely out manned last night and that’s not Flecks fault. Would a few different play calls have won us the game? Not last night

+1

A game like last night really exposes the Fleck haters for who they are.
Anything they can grab onto they are spewing out as bad coaching.

Our O-line didn't get push on any play.
Our WR's weren't able to get open in man to man coverage.
Our secondary was consistently outrun by MI's RB's.

Thanks to all the Fleck haters for posting how this was a low point in Golden Gopher football history for you. (Some of you said that a couple weeks ago).

This one is on the coaches. We weren’t prepared, couldn’t tackle and took terrible angles all night. The defensive game plan was atrocious. As was the offensive game plan.

What would you differently, especially on defense as far as the gameplan goes?

Wow.
I’m going to wait a couple of years before I pass judgment on whether these guys can coach or not, I do know they can coach Better then me.

In one year, you can make an assessment that Claeys was taking us nowhere in recruiting. But now we have to wait 2 or 3 years to see if Fleck can actually coach?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow.

The vast majority of Gopher fans agree with you. Trolls and bitchy old men on this board are just keeping busy trying to instill negativity.

The whole team gets a F. That team was beat down. The players on our defense were so overmatched, Vince Lombardi would have gotten killed last night.

Hard to put that one on Fleck, I mean that was just a clear mismatch on the lines. That isn't something that is changed in 9 months.

Cashman played like a million bucks. Did he get more playing time in the Michigan game than he has all year, or did it just seem that way?

Cashman played like a million bucks. Did he get more playing time in the Michigan game than he has all year, or did it just seem that way?

He did. Celestine was taken out due to injury.

I voted D. We do have some issues with personnel that are hindering the overall team ability. But, the team once again had guys badly out of position, poor tackling, and no edge on defense. We saw that at times under the k-c regime but it rarely culminated in such a beatdown that resulted in 371 yards rushing. Perhaps it was a perfect storm last night. Correct me if I'm wrong but do we not substitute on defense as much? Celestin is unfortunately limited, Barber is alternately good and a deer in headlights.

On offense we didn't seem to have any counters for what they were doing. Roc is paid a lot of money to adjust. How many times did he run the direct snap fiasco? It wasn't close to effective the first three times, and it wasn't fooling them. Why go back? Our receivers seem to have trouble getting open - talent, scheme or coaching? Arguable. Why is Woz playing more than Lingen? Injury problem?

Overall have to give a mulligan of some sort due to injuries but that was a really bad, flat effort. We still have a chance to salvage the season. Guys like Cashman, Huff, Richardson, Jackson were still hustling out there. Let's get another win or two Coach.

Remember that time Nick Saban went 6-6 at Alabama after Alabama had been 6-6 the year before and 10-2 two years before?

So your saying we should expect 2 losses next year and be undefeated in 2019?

But, the team once again had guys badly out of position, poor tackling, and no edge on defense. We saw that at times under the k-c regime but it rarely culminated in such a beatdown that resulted in 371 yards rushing.

In 2011 v. Michigan we lost 58-0 in Ann Arbor and gave up 363 rushing yards. Happened rarely to give up that many yards, yes, but it did happen. Only good news in a 42-13 loss in AA 2 years later was we held Michigan to 113 yards rushing. Both losses sucked as bad as last nights game IMO. all extremely frustrating games to watch.

Last night was a rough game, but no worse than many recent games in AA. FWIW- I give the staff a D last night. everyone needs to do better, coaches included.

What would you differently, especially on defense as far as the gameplan goes?

I would have put 8 in the box at all times and made their QB beat us. Just like most teams do to us.

I'm not sure what people would've wanted Fleck to do differently. Michigan is a talented team. We are not.

Well, for one, how about realizing that you have nothing to lose in this game and trying something different instead of running the same damn unproductive plays over and over like this was a intra-squad practice instead of a game on national TV?

Well, for one, how about realizing that you have nothing to lose in this game and trying something different instead of running the same damn unproductive plays over and over like this was a intra-squad practice instead of a game on national TV?

Because he is not going to sacrifice the culture!!! Whatever the f--k that means.

If you know (or suspect) the other team has more talent/speed, then the coaches need to try to come up with schemes/techniques to minimize your weaknesses. If the other team has more speed, maybe play at least one safety deeper to guard against long runs. I'd rather give up a 15-yard run than a 60-yard run.

On offense, same thing. you figure out where the other defense is weakest, and try to attack them there.

The first TD drive by the Gophers showed some of the most variety I've seen all year. I was impressed and encouraged. But Michigan adjusted, and the Gophers apparently could not come up with a counter-adjustment.

Yes - talent matters. But coaching matters, too.

On-the-job training is not pretty to watch. I suspect that is exactly what we're seeing with Fleck and his staff. Hopefully, they learn from it. Unfortunately, the only way to tell what they're learning and how much they're learning is to wait for next year and see how the Gophers play.

If the Gophers still look like this next year, that's a concern. If the Gophers still look like this 2 years from now.............you fill in the blank.

Because he is not going to sacrifice the culture!!! Whatever the f--k that means.

It means about as much as all the other nonsense PJ says. As I have been saying for months - windbag. That doesn't mean he can't or won't be successful here, but he is a windbag. Maybe that's what the kids like.

I would have put 8 in the box at all times and made their QB beat us. Just like most teams do to us.

Agree. Our defensive plan played right into their offensive strength. No real adjustments on either side of the ball. Out-coached.

MI has zero wins over quality opponents this year. This was a great upset opportunity for Gophs.

Thanks for the response. I feel like we moved a safety into the box quite a bit but I honestly didn't pay close enough attention.

Remember last week when everyone complained about not running enough?

Thanks for the response. I feel like we moved a safety into the box quite a bit but I honestly didn't pay close enough attention.

Agree. Even when we had 10 in the box against Michigan State we couldn’t stop toss

It was a tough game to watch but I think the losses to Maryland and Purdue were worse. Those were two teams the Gophers should have beaten. Michigan is by far superior to Minnesota and Minnesota was not going to win that game regardless of who the coach was.

Nick Saban or Urban Meyer would not have beaten Michigan with that Minnesota roster. The lack of depth is obvious.

The bad angles and poor tackling on defense were poor coaching but overall, Michigan was simply a far superior team to Minnesota.

I thought this team would have won 6 games this year so that is disappointing, but I never expected them to win 8 or 9 games like a lot of others have.

We will see what kind of recruiting class PJ Fleck brings in for 2018 and that should be a good indicator of where this program is heading.

While this has been a tough year, I am still very hopeful for the future with the new facilities opening and PJ's ability to recruit. It's just going to take some patience to see the results on the field, which can be difficult for most fans.

It was a tough game to watch but I think the losses to Maryland and Purdue were worse. Those were two teams the Gophers should have beaten. Michigan is by far superior to Minnesota and Minnesota was not going to win that game regardless of who the coach was.

Nick Saban or Urban Meyer would not have beaten Michigan with that Minnesota roster. The lack of depth is obvious.

The bad angles and poor tackling on defense were poor coaching but overall, Michigan was simply a far superior team to Minnesota.

I thought this team would have won 6 games this year so that is disappointing, but I never expected them to win 8 or 9 games like a lot of others have.

We will see what kind of recruiting class PJ Fleck brings in for 2018 and that should be a good indicator of where this program is heading.

While this has been a tough year, I am still very hopeful for the future with the new facilities opening and PJ's ability to recruit. It's just going to take some patience to see the results on the field, which can be difficult for most fans.

How is poor tackling coaching? Seriously. I wouldn't disagree that players out of position is (potentially) coaching, but players not tackling is on the players. It's like saying dropped passes are coaching or not having speed is coaching.

The biggest thing I notice between this year's D and last year's is that last year there seemed to be a second guy in the neighborhood to make the tackle if the first guy missed. So when there were missed tackles they didn't seem to sting so bad. Too many times there is only one guy between the ball carrier and a HUGE play. It's bound to cost them.

Even though I don't think much changes if Nick Saban and his entire staff were borrowed for the game, I did give them a D.

D. I didn't think we had a chance to begin with. When the other team has vastly better talent and a better head coach it's hard to be too upset. They made us look bad but the players never gave up (like the ny giants) so I can't give them an f.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

How is poor tackling coaching? Seriously. I wouldn't disagree that players out of position is (potentially) coaching, but players not tackling is on the players. It's like saying dropped passes are coaching or not having speed is coaching.

The biggest thing I notice between this year's D and last year's is that last year there seemed to be a second guy in the neighborhood to make the tackle if the first guy missed. So when there were missed tackles they didn't seem to sting so bad. Too many times there is only one guy between the ball carrier and a HUGE play. It's bound to cost them.

Even though I don't think much changes if Nick Saban and his entire staff were borrowed for the game, I did give them a D.

Coaches can teach proper tackling and pass catching. It is teachable.

Went with D. Would have gone C- if it were an option. I didn't expect us to win, or even be all that close. So a win would have been an automatic A. Would have gone B for a close loss. C for a 2 TD loss. D seems appropriate. I save the Fs for games like 58-0 or 55-0 or losing to FCS teams.

So your saying we should expect 2 losses next year and be undefeated in 2019?

Huh? He's saying Alabama was 10-2 two years before Saban took over. What was our record two years ago?

Top Bottom