Lane Kiffin trolls bettors and Nick Saban after FAU takes safety to Not Cover Spread

Iceland12

Reaction score
"Didn't want to cover because of too much rat poison."

"Lane Kiffin’s Florida Atlantic squad had a 30-23 lead over Marshall, and faced a 4th-and-24 with 14 seconds left on Friday night in Boca Raton. The Owls lined up in a punt formation, but the punter ran the ball into the back of the end zone for a safety to make it a 30-25 game with eight seconds left.

That’s certainly an interesting decision when you’re up seven points, but it’s at least understandable to allow more time to run off the clock and prevent the chance of Marshall blocking a punt. FAU would hold on to win the game, 30-25.

So, FAU won by five points, after being in excellent shape in the final seconds to win the game by seven points. Well, FAU was a 6.5-point favorite, making for an unbelievably bad beat for those who bet on the Owls to cover the spread.

And Kiffin had an amazing explanation for this on Twitter: “Didn’t want to cover because of too much rat poison.”

The “rat poison” reference is Kiffin trolling his former boss, Nick Saban. The Alabama head coach recently said that the constant media praise of his team is “rat poison” to his players.

Kiffin — Alabama’s offensive coordinator from 2014-16 — first trolled Saban with a rat poison comment on Twitter Oct. 9.

http://thecomeback.com/ncaa/lane-ki...e-safety-avoid-covering-6-5-point-spread.html

A Florida Atlantic representative said earlier Saturday that the tweet was made in jest, and Kiffin confirmed to ESPN's Chris Low that it was "a joke."

"I did not know the safety changed the result of the spread until last night after I got home," Kiffin told Low. "Someone sent me the funny tweet that I was supposedly trolling everyone by taking a safety to not cover, and as a joke, I retweeted it adding the rat poison line and put a shoutout to our players for earning a well-deserved weekend off. If that's a story, it must be a slow news day. Roll Tide tonight."

Looking at the rest of their schedule.....good chance to win out. Would be 8 straight wins and a 9-3 if they accomplish it. If it happens it will be a complete reversal of a 3-9 last year. First year coach that inherited a program that had losing seasons in 7 of the last 8 years.

A Florida Atlantic representative said earlier Saturday that the 1.)tweet was made in jest, and Kiffin confirmed to ESPN's Chris Low that it was "a joke."

2.)"I did not know the safety changed the result of the spread until last night after I got home," Kiffin told Low. "Someone sent me the funny tweet that I was supposedly trolling everyone by taking a safety to not cover, and as a joke, I retweeted it adding the rat poison line and put a shoutout to our players for earning a well-deserved weekend off. If that's a story, it must be a slow news day. Roll Tide tonight."

Looking at the rest of their schedule.....good chance to win out. 3.)Would be 8 straight wins and a 9-3 if they accomplish it. If it happens it will be a complete reversal of a 3-9 last year. First year coach that inherited a program that had losing seasons in 7 of the last 8 years.

1.)Yeah, it was pretty funny. Proves Kiffin suprisingly does have a sense of humor. Wonder if we'll find out that Saban does too? :cool:

2.) Comes under the "yeah, right" category. :rolleyes:

3.) :clap:

It was pretty funny of Kiffin to do that, both the safety and tweet. Glen should have had Kif on his staff oh so many years ago.

First year coach takes a team from 3-9 to currently 6-3...interesting

Here is the "so far" on this year's first year coaches. (Not interesting enough to have it's own thread. Too many games left.)

Texas-Tom Herman
5-7 to 4-4
Oklahoma-Lincoln Riley
11-2 to 7-1
Oregon-Willie Taggart
4-8 to 5-4
Purdue-Jeff Brohm
3-9 to 3-5
Baylor-Matt Rhule
7-6 to 0-8
South Florida-Charlie Strong
11-2 to 7-1
Western Kentucky-Mike Sanford
11-3 to 5-3
FAU-Lane Kiffin
3-9 to 6-3
UConn-Randy Edsall
3-9 to 3-5
LSU-Ed Orgeron
8-4 to 6-2
Ole Miss-Matt Luke
5-7 to 3-5
Indiana-Tom Allen
6-7 to 3-5
Temple-Jeff Collins
10-4 to 4-5
Cincinnati-Lou Fickell
4-8 to 2-6
FIU-Butch Davis
4-8 to 5-2
Cal-Justin Wilcox
5-7 to 4-5
WMU-Tim Lester
13-1 to 5-4
Fresno State-Jim Tedford
1-11 to 5-3
San Jose State-Brent Brennan
4-8 to 1-8
Nevada-Jay Norvell
5-7 to 1-7
Georgia State-Shawn Elliott
3-9 to 4-3

Here is the "so far" on this year's first year coaches. (Not interesting enough to have it's own thread. Too many games left.)

Texas-Tom Herman
5-7 to 4-4
Oklahoma-Lincoln Riley
11-2 to 7-1
Oregon-Willie Taggart
4-8 to 5-4
Purdue-Jeff Brohm
3-9 to 3-5
Baylor-Matt Rhule
7-6 to 0-8
11-2 to 7-1
11-3 to 5-3
FAU-Lane Kiffin
3-9 to 6-3
UConn-Randy Edsall
3-9 to 3-5
LSU-Ed Orgeron
8-4 to 6-2
Ole Miss-Matt Luke
5-7 to 3-5
Indiana-Tom Allen
6-7 to 3-5
Temple-Jeff Collins
10-4 to 4-5
Cincinnati-Lou Fickell
4-8 to 2-6
FIU-Butch Davis
4-8 to 5-2
Cal-Justin Wilcox
5-7 to 4-5
WMU-Tim Lester
13-1 to 5-4
Fresno State-Jim Tedford
1-11 to 5-3
4-8 to 1-8
Nevada-Jay Norvell
5-7 to 1-7
3-9 to 4-3

Somehow you Missed- Minnesota Golden Gophers PJ Fleck .WTH?

Most talented team in Conference USA ;)

247 "talent composite" lists them as having three 4 stars on their roster but if one clicks on the Owl link there are only two listed. One is a freshman QB that hasn't played and the other is a Sr. transfer RB from Georgia that hasn't recorded any statistics. In summary, one imaginary four star and another two that haven't played.

I'd be pissed if I were an FAU fan who also bet on them to cover.

I'd be pissed if I were an FAU fan who also bet on them to cover.

If you were a Florida Atlantic fan and they've now gone from 3-9 to 6-3, winning 5 in a row in the process, you'd probably get over it.

Lane can be pretty dopey at times but that is pretty dang funny.

Texas-Tom Herman
5-7 to 4-4
Oklahoma-Lincoln Riley
11-2 to 7-1
Oregon-Willie Taggart
4-8 to 5-4
Purdue-Jeff Brohm
3-9 to 3-5
Baylor-Matt Rhule
7-6 to 0-8
11-2 to 7-1
11-3 to 5-3
FAU-Lane Kiffin
3-9 to 6-3
UConn-Randy Edsall
3-9 to 3-5
LSU-Ed Orgeron
8-4 to 6-2
Ole Miss-Matt Luke
5-7 to 3-5
Indiana-Tom Allen
6-7 to 3-5
Temple-Jeff Collins
10-4 to 4-5
Cincinnati-Lou Fickell
4-8 to 2-6
FIU-Butch Davis
4-8 to 5-2
Cal-Justin Wilcox
5-7 to 4-5
WMU-Tim Lester
13-1 to 5-4
Fresno State-Jim Tedford
1-11 to 5-3
4-8 to 1-8
Nevada-Jay Norvell
5-7 to 1-7
3-9 to 4-3

*Jeff Tedford. After you typed the above, I had to go look and see if Jeff had a son or younger brother coaching Fresno St.

If you were a Florida Atlantic fan and they've now gone from 3-9 to 6-3, winning 5 in a row in the process, you'd probably get over it.

That's true.....but he had little reason for that move other than playing a joke. I sometimes make some bets on the Gophers. If our coach pulled something like that.....I'd be a little ticked off.

Top Bottom