STrib: Jordan Murphy showed in Gophers exhibition win he can be go-to guy

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

This new and improved Murphy also led the Gophers in the Oct. 22 secret scrimmage win against Creighton when he finished with 24 points and eight rebounds. There were glimpses of him becoming a go-to performer to end the 2016-17 season. He averaged 14.3 points and 11.5 rebounds in the last 11 games to earn All-Big Ten third team honors.

Murphy was the top scorer among Gophers in the Twin Cities Pro-Am this summer, averaging more than 20 points per game.

As a sophomore, Murphy averaged 11.3 points on 50 percent shooting from the field. It was almost identical to his scoring as a freshman (11.6 ppg). But those numbers should finally rise in his third season.

“His offensive game is really, really evolving,” Pitino said Thursday. “He’s understanding his spots in the offense a lot better. He’s a load down there, too. He shot a three; I have no problem with that. But he also understands where his bread is buttered.”

http://www.startribune.com/jordan-m...exhibition-win-he-can-be-go-to-guy/454974513/

Go Gophers!!

He’s gotta be careful with the hook. I saw him do it on 2 occasions when he did that finger roll at the rim. I think that’s an offensive foul in a real game.

Pitino was on Barreiro yesterday talking about this subject. Acknowledged that the competition level was low, and they didnt have the size to guard Murphy, but nonetheless, Murphy was impressive. Said he's really come in this year and shown that he can take that next level on offense.

Other things discussed...

Said no one wants to hear about injuries all day, but the Curry one hurts a lot. Said they will rely a lot on Fitzgerald to cover those minutes...Hurt not brought up at all.

Said Isaiah is that throw back New York PG. Said Isaiah would like to throw Williams Arena into Rucker Park, but that that isnt happening. Said he has to be careful with trying to hone him in too much, as that would take away from what he is.

Top Bottom