Zach Annexstad: Minnesota is where I want to be.

hungan1

Reaction score

pull those Mankato Jesus t-shirts out of storage

He's landing in a good spot, he'll definitely have a shot at playing.

Going to IMG Academy in Florida, the tuition must be high. It sounds like paying for college is not a problem for Zack and Brock.

Going to IMG Academy in Florida, the tuition must be high. It sounds like paying for college is not a problem for Zack and Brock.

Wow ... from:http://highschoolsports.mlive.com/n...nity-to-pass-up-for-lincoln-football-players/

Standard tuition for one year of boarding at IMG Academy is $68,500 plus a team sport competition and training gear fee that ranges from $3,750-$4,250 depending on the sport. A single semester costs $39,400.

And a kid like Annexstad is probably not getting a big scholarship from them either.

Zack: "I've also been talking to my teammate Josh Walker about Minnesota, and so far he has said that he is interested and that he's taking an official."

"It looks like Minnesota has made Josh Walker's Top 7. The 6-foot-2, 281-pound prospect listed Rutgers, Nebraska, Minnesota, North Carolina, Kansas, Arizona and Wake Forest as the schools who made the cut."

"The 3-star prospect is ranked by 247Sports as the No. 50 defensive tackle prospect in the country and the No. 108 prospect in the state of Florida."

https://247sports.com/college/rutgers/Bolt/Rutgers-Lands-in-Top-7-for-Defensive-Tackle-Walker-52684518

https://247sports.com/Player/Josh-Walker-81369

Zack was being groomed to be Philip Nelson's replacement at West as an 8th grader, dressing for Varsity and playing in garbage time. He then had some injuries and West went with an upperclassman at QB. The Annexstad's then transfered to IMG for Brock's Senior and Zack's Junior year.

They're actually from Norseland, MN which is in the St. Peter school district and open enrolled to Mankato West in middle school. Their dad when to the U of M before transferring back to Mankato State. He signed a couple training camp contracts with Kansas City and Washington, I believe after college.

Nice family and really nice kids. They fit the Fleck culture.

"I've also been talking to my teammate Josh Walker about Minnesota, and so far he has said that he is interested and that he's taking an official."

That piqued my interest as well.

Thanks for the tidbit. Hands down these are the type of player's who want to be Gophers you'd want in your PWO program. We need more Blake Cashman types. I think that PJ Fleck recognized that you need to build a program with solid foundation from within.

You'd want to build a program not necessarily on scholarship players. You'd need 106 players or so on the team, and I don't know if that includes the practice squad.

You'd want instate kids & kids from neighboring states who want to PWO to fill in positions of need. Fill those non-scholie spots with kids who bleed Maroon & Gold who have heart and determination. I think of the Black Shirts of the glory days in Nebraska, and the Beefcake OLine factory in Wisconsin.

On the Offensive Line aspect, of Wisconsin's 2017 massive O-Line 12 out of 17 are from Wisconsin! I bet many of them are under-recruited non-scholie players. Thirteen of those players weigh 304 pounds or more. The average weight of their O-Line is 313 pounds compared to 298 pounds for the Gophers.

They run rings with RBs with those behemoths blocking, and you can put any average QB in their lineup and make them look good. They have a good model with which they build their program around.

Wisconsin's 2017 OL.jpg

So, I think PJ Fleck is up to a good start by getting good instate players like the Annexstad boys in the PWO program.

We can't do much about Ronnie Audette (OT 6'3"310 lbs, NDSU), Jacob Smith (OT 6'6", 319 lbs, BYU), Bryce Kennedy (6' 7", SD), Joe Schreiber (OC, 6' 3" 285 lbs, NDSU), Matt Waletzko (OT 6' 7", ND) who want scholies elsewhere. Can't blame kids who want their tuition guaranteed or who wants better chances of playing time. Somehow, Wisconsin found ways to keep these type of guys instate.

But, there are other players like JT Awosika (OT 6'5" 270), Riley Hansen (OT 6'4" 295 lbs), Odell Wilson (6'6" 260 lbs), Gerone Hamilton, Jr (OT 6'5" 285 lbs), Adam Cook (OT 6'7" 315 lbs), Nick Radunz (OT 6'5" 265 lbs), Ben Pizak (OC 6' 1" 265 lbs), and Manny Alvarez (OT 6'5" 265 lbs) who may be serviceable players who can be coached and beefed up. Do they have the financial wherewithal, loans/grants, or can they pass admissions requirements?

https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/Recruits?Player.Enabled=True&Position.Key=po_17,po_16,po_18&Player.Hometown.State.Key=sa_28&Recruitment.Enabled=False

The potential is there to tap instate resources and build an O-Line like Wisconsin. Moving forward, our offensive line is critical to improving our offense.

Thanks for the tidbit. Hands down these are the type of player's who want to be Gophers you'd want in your PWO program. We need more Blake Cashman types. I think that PJ Fleck recognized that you need to build a program with solid foundation from within.

You'd want to build a program not necessarily on scholarship players. You'd need 106 players or so on the team, and I don't know if that includes the practice squad.

You'd want instate kids & kids from neighboring states who want to PWO to fill in positions of need. Fill those non-scholie spots with kids who bleed Maroon & Gold who have heart and determination. I think of the Black Shirts of the glory days in Nebraska, and the Beefcake OLine factory in Wisconsin.

On the Offensive Line aspect, of Wisconsin's 2017 massive O-Line 12 out of 17 are from Wisconsin! I bet many of them are under-recruited non-scholie players. Thirteen of those players weigh 304 pounds or more. The average weight of their O-Line is 313 pounds compared to 298 pounds for the Gophers.

They run rings with RBs with those behemoths blocking, and you can put any average QB in their lineup and make them look good. They have a good model which they build their program around.

View attachment 5181

So, I think PJ Fleck is up to a good start by getting good instate players like the Annexstad boys in the PWO program.

We can't do much about Ronnie Audette (OT 6'3"310 lbs, NDSU), Jacob Smith (OT 6'6", 319 lbs, BYU), Bryce Kennedy (6' 7", SD), Joe Schreiber (OC, 6' 3" 285 lbs, NDSU), Matt Waletzko (OT 6' 7", ND) who wants scholies elsewhere. Can't blame kids who want their tuition guaranteed or who wants better chances of playing time. Somehow, Wisconsin found ways to keep these type of guys instate.

But, there are other players like JT Awosika (OT 6'5" 270), Riley Hansen (OT 6'4" 295 lbs), Odell Wilson (6'6" 260 lbs), Gerone Hamilton, Jr (OT 6'5" 285 lbs), Adam Cook (OT 6'7" 315 lbs), Nick Radunz (OT 6'5" 265 lbs), Ben Pizak (OC 6' 1" 265 lbs), and Manny Alvarez (OT 6'5" 265 lbs) who may be serviceable players who can be coached and beefed up. Do they have the financial wherewithal, loans/grants, or can they pass admissions requirements?

https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/Recruits?Player.Enabled=True&Position.Key=po_17,po_16,po_18&Player.Hometown.State.Key=sa_28&Recruitment.Enabled=False

The potential is there to tap instate resources and build an O-Line like Wisconsin. Moving forward, our offensive line is critical to improving our offense.

Interesting assessment...and appreciate the research behind your take. Question, how often do we see some of these players who commit to schools like NDSU transfer to the Gophers later in their college years after proving their ability? Could they earn a scholly later?

That is a good question. Can they play right away or do they have to sit out a year? Isn't NDSU a D1A school? Open the door for graduate transfers?

Short of not having the dynamic QB we'd want, we can't mount any type of consistent offense with a thin offensive line like we have at present.

It will come in time as PJ Fleck gets his recruits established.

Not to derail the thread but on the posts about his teammate Josh Walker, we pursued him throughout the summer and that ship sailed long ago.

Not to derail the thread but on the posts about his teammate Josh Walker, we pursued him throughout the summer and that ship sailed long ago.

He decommitted from Arizona State on September 3rd. Annexstad was interviewed on September 13 when he mentioned that Josh Walker was interested in taking an official visit with the Gophers. Whether or not that still holds true remains to be seen.

The Crystal Prediction is 67% in favor of UNC.

According to Scout, it looks like everyone has cooled on him.

Any indications why?

No, just his interest column is Cool or None for all schools. He committed to Arizona and then de-committed. I would assume qualifying issues.

Interesting assessment...and appreciate the research behind your take. Question, how often do we see some of these players who commit to schools like NDSU transfer to the Gophers later in their college years after proving their ability? Could they earn a scholly later?

I don't understand the incentive for them to transfer here. In this day and age a player will get just as much nfl attention playing at NDSU as he would playing here.

I don't understand the incentive for them to transfer here. In this day and age a player will get just as much nfl attention playing at NDSU as he would playing here.

Some prefer to play against the toughest competition they can.

They run rings with RBs with those behemoths blocking, and you can put any average QB in their lineup and make them look good. They have a good model with which they build their program around.

View attachment 5181

We can't do much about Ronnie Audette (OT 6'3"310 lbs, NDSU), Jacob Smith (OT 6'6", 319 lbs, BYU), Bryce Kennedy (6' 7", SD), Joe Schreiber (OC, 6' 3" 285 lbs, NDSU), Matt Waletzko (OT 6' 7", ND) who want scholies elsewhere. Can't blame kids who want their tuition guaranteed or who wants better chances of playing time. Somehow, Wisconsin found ways to keep these type of guys instate.

The Dakota FCS and D2 schools drain a lot of our would-be walk ons. Not sure if Wisconsin has anything similar nearby. Are the other Wisconsin state schools FCS, or are they all D2/D3?

I see people comparing him to Sitkowsi stat-wise, and wonder what's going on and why Annexstad also isn't consider a 4-star caliber prospect,

It comes down to measurables. Sitkowski is a physical specimen. He's listed at 6-5 215, moves well in the pocket, and has a strong arm. I would have to guess that it's not really translating to big stats in high school right now for a couple of reasons. He's playing the best competition in the country week-in-and week out. If he played for a high school in Minnesota, for example, he would probably look incredible. I'd also guess he has accuracy issues, which the vast majority of QBs on earth have, especially as a very large 17-18 year old still growing into his body. He's very projectable.

Currently, Zach may be a more accurate passer at the moment. But, it could be that he's just not as physically projectable/impressive. The arm strength may not be there, which doesn't get exposed as much at that level. Clearly he's somewhat athletic, or he wouldn't be playing QB at IMG, but the same level of mobility and pocket presence may not be there.

It's also not clear if they're being asked to do the same thing. Sitkowski may be throwing the ball down the field more, while Zach is acting as more of a game manager and benefitting more from YAC from a ridiculously talented WR corps for a HS team.

Comparing this to a NDSU, under-the-radar type guy who could blossom into a star doesn't really fit here, IMO. Zach and Sitkowski have been seen by every scout in the country. They've camped at some the marquee camps in the country. Zach has visited numerous major programs unofficially. Coaches at every major college program could probably tell you what his favorite breakfast cereal is, and what his favorite cartoon was as a child.

There's is always a chance he ends up being the next great Gopher QB that leads us to the promised land. I hope he is. But, he's not suffering from the exposure of playing 9-man ball in a one horse town in the middle of the Dakotas. There are virtually no unknowns with him, and there is a reason why he's not getting the big-time offers, and a reason why Fleck didn't offer him one despite being absolutely desperate for a QB. I think expectations should be checked a little.

Top Bottom