The Athletic: Could this really be Minnesota's moment? Oh, you betcha

Terrific article. Thanks for posting!

That was a fantastic read - thanks for posting.

Go Gophers!!

They've been providing in-depth write-ups on their preseason top 25 and that article about the Gophs was similarly great. I'm really excited for their coverage this season. So far it's been well worth the subscription.

The Athletic is really going all in. They have hired a ton of talent from all over the country. I think they are betting on the decline of quality from the other sports sites (Foxsports got rid of most writing and just shows highlights from its terrible shows)

The Athletic is really going all in. They have hired a ton of talent from all over the country. I think they are betting on the decline of quality from the other sports sites (Foxsports got rid of most writing and just shows highlights from its terrible shows)

It will be fascinating to follow the site's growth. The VC funding will dry up at some point and no doubt they have some big salaries to pay with the talent they are bringing on.

Go Gophers!!

I love The Athletic so far. A handful of my coworkers also got subscriptions. It can work but they need to keep pumping out quality like that have been.

Locally, they've hired a lot of the best people. Makes my subscription seem like a steal.

It will be fascinating to follow the site's growth. The VC funding will dry up at some point and no doubt they have some big salaries to pay with the talent they are bringing on.

Go Gophers!!

Also interesting that it appears they are running a pretty clean site, with subscriptions. That's not the right approach, with the largest revenue coming from advertising. The cost isn't the problem with subscriptions, its the fact people are tired of signing up for new things

Thanks for posting! Outstanding writing--the type you use to find in "Sports Illustrated" with Frank Deford and George Plimpton. Had thought about subscribing and now will.

What a gap in talent. ...

between Brian Hamilton's writing ability and that of Myron Medcalf.

Major Leagues (requires talent) vs. Slow Pitch Softball (requires no talent)

Great piece by Hamilton. No snark required.

I've not gotten around to subscribing yet but I will. This is Dana O'Neil's new home as well. Just curious if all the writers are exclusive to them or if they freelance a bit as well. I hope they make it. It looks quality and it will restore my faith in humanity that people want to read decent material rather than the click bait rants we've become so accustomed to.

I've not gotten around to subscribing yet but I will. This is Dana O'Neil's new home as well. Just curious if all the writers are exclusive to them or if they freelance a bit as well. I hope they make it. It looks quality and it will restore my faith in humanity that people want to read decent material rather than the click bait rants we've become so accustomed to.

Like when I click on the article "re-drafting the 2012 NBA draft"? And I have to click continue after each selection to another page?

The contrast is stark, especially when you're used to reading along just waiting for the wise-ass dig or snarky comment (and then not finding it in a piece like this).

Really great article. I do take issue, though, with the assertions that: 1. failing to get any of the "Big 4" in the 2014 class was symptomatic of a longstanding difficulty in retaining the top in-state talent; and 2. Amir Coffey was the biggest in-state recruit since Kris Humphries while also being the first significant in-state recruit to stay home in 13 years. Tubby got every in-state recruit that he wanted (Leuer, Berggren, and Taylor were already committed to wisconsin when Tubby was hired), and Royce White was a bigger recruit than Coffey. The great thing going forward is that the quality and depth of in-state talent continues to grow and Pitino should be in the mix for almost all of the top recruits.

Like when I click on the article "re-drafting the 2012 NBA draft"? And I have to click continue after each selection to another page?

Exactly. Welcome back to humanity. You might reduce the viruses on your computer, too.

I view our team as a very pretty hot-air balloon. We should be set for a very pretty, smooth ride. But........Any one small pop (injury, suspension, etc.) could quickly bring us to the ground. We lack the patch (depth) to adjust mid-air.

Really great article. I do take issue, though, with the assertions that: 1. failing to get any of the "Big 4" in the 2014 class was symptomatic of a longstanding difficulty in retaining the top in-state talent; and 2. Amir Coffey was the biggest in-state recruit since Kris Humphries while also being the first significant in-state recruit to stay home in 13 years. Tubby got every in-state recruit that he wanted (Leuer, Berggren, and Taylor were already committed to wisconsin when Tubby was hired), and Royce White was a bigger recruit than Coffey. The great thing going forward is that the quality and depth of in-state talent continues to grow and Pitino should be in the mix for almost all of the top recruits.

Another issue I found was the implication that McHale would have been a McDonalds All-American if the honor was available when he was a senior. IIRC, McHale wasn't highly rated as a recruit.

About to say McHale played hockey through tenth grade. His freshman year at the U was his third year of playing basketball

Top Bottom