Gophers likely 1 win away from Bowl Game

UpAndUnder43

Reaction score
Per Randy Johnson:

ince 2015, however, we’ve dealt with some new math. Because there are 40 bowl games, there aren’t always enough six-win teams to fill all 80 spots. Enter the Academic Progress Rate (APR), a formula used by the NCAA to gauge how programs are progressing toward graduating players. Teams with 5-7 records that have the highest APR will get to go to a bowl if there are openings.

Sound familiar? It should, because the Gophers traveled this path to the Quick Lane Bowl two years ago. Minnesota was one of three 5-7 teams to play in a bowl in 2015.

And it could happen again.

http://www.startribune.com/here-s-w...t-one-more-win-to-make-a-bowl-game/454710113/

Not a fan of a 5 win team making a bowl. If that is what they need to do to fill the bowl games and reward a school for their APR it's really not a big deal.

I really hope this happens. Not only will it be good to keep the bowl streak alive, but the reactions will likely be more interesting than the game itself. Will it be an an amazing accomplishment this time around, coming from the same crowd who called it shameful two years ago? Will those who were OK with it two years ago call it a failure and embarrassment? Do we blame Claeys for 5 wins, but praise Fleck for the APR?

Not a fan of a 5 win team making a bowl. If that is what they need to do to fill the bowl games and reward a school for their APR it's really not a big deal.

This program is not about the wins and losses! (Well, maybe one more win.)

I really hope this happens. Not only will it be good to keep the bowl streak alive, but the reactions will likely be more interesting than the game itself. Will it be an an amazing accomplishment this time around, coming from the same crowd who called it shameful two years ago? Will those who were OK with it two years ago call it a failure and embarrassment? Do we blame Claeys for 5 wins, but praise Fleck for the APR?

how do we get rid of you and your fake posts? That's the question that's begging an answer.

The CFB season is short enough. Would love an additional game to watch no matter how we get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I wish they'd eliminate half the Bowl games so they became more meaningful, that ship has sailed. I like how they fill them now if they need teams - reward schools with good APR's. Frankly, if the NCAA actually believed the whole "student athlete" model like they claim, they would implement some kind of sliding scale where a 6 or 7 win team with a low APR gets passed over by a 5 win team with a high APR. Of course with schools like UNC cheating the system, not sure how meaningful APR is, either, but it's at least a move in the right direction.

That said, how about they win one more game first, then we can worry about it. It's like saying if they win out there's some scenario where they could win the Rose Bowl. There just might be (didn't figure out a scenario myself), but until they show they can win a B1G game against anyone other than Illinois, it's kind of a moot point.

I didn't pay very close attention to the schools that went to bowls via APR last year, but I do remember that after the 2015 season, all three 5-7 teams that went to bowls (Minnesota, Nebraska, and San Jose State) won their bowl games.

Not sure what that means, if anything, but thought it was interesting.

I didn't pay very close attention to the schools that went to bowls via APR last year, but I do remember that after the 2015 season, all three 5-7 teams that went to bowls (Minnesota, Nebraska, and San Jose State) won their bowl games.

Two of the three teams with losing records won their bowls: Mississippi State over Miami-Ohio, and Hawaii over Middle Tennessee. North Texas lost to Army.

I'd be happy to see the Gophers in a bowl game, whether they have five or six wins going in. I wonder if they'd try to set up the Fleck Bowl vs. Western Michigan in Detroit?

Cue the "they should turn it down" crowd.

I have a solution for those people - turn their TVs off during the bowl game. I'll gladly watch bonus Gopher football.

Can we please not preemptively poop on everyone else in the forum until at least the thing that you don't like actually happens?

While I wish they'd eliminate half the Bowl games so they became more meaningful, that ship has sailed. I like how they fill them now if they need teams - reward schools with good APR's. Frankly, if the NCAA actually believed the whole "student athlete" model like they claim, they would implement some kind of sliding scale where a 6 or 7 win team with a low APR gets passed over by a 5 win team with a high APR. Of course with schools like UNC cheating the system, not sure how meaningful APR is, either, but it's at least a move in the right direction.

That said, how about they win one more game first, then we can worry about it. It's like saying if they win out there's some scenario where they could win the Rose Bowl. There just might be (didn't figure out a scenario myself), but until they show they can win a B1G game against anyone other than Illinois, it's kind of a moot point.

I would also rather see fewer games so that it would be an actual accomplishment to get one as opposed to just being .500 or in some cases even under .500. That said, it is clear the games are not going anywhere so agree that you may as well reward teams that are doing well in the classroom.

More practice time and exposure is a good thing. Only thing I ever take some issue with are the fans that use getting to a bowl game as some sign that the team is doing well. With 80 slots to fill, in most cases qualifying for a bowl game is more of a minimum standard as opposed to something that really has to be earned.

Bowl games.

People like to complain that there are too many.
But it sure beats sitting in a quiet room chatting with in-laws over the holidays.

I would really sooner watch Fleck coach the Gophers against an SEC or MAC team in a Bowl Game rather than spend an extra month arguing about recruiting rankings.

Just look at is an extra non-conference game on the schedule that will extend the season an additional 3-4 weeks. Those extra practices and game experience can only help a young team.

The only reason it's a "Bowl Game" is because a company paid a lot of money for sponsorship of the game. Other than that, it's a non-conference game in a neutral location.

We all know the meaning of postseason bowl games was diluted years ago when they started adding additional bowl games. Now, it's all about money and TV ratings regardless of the quality of the teams on the field.

I would really sooner watch Fleck coach the Gophers against an SEC or MAC team in a Bowl Game rather than spend an extra month arguing about recruiting rankings.

WHEN WILL PJ CALL IT YEAR ONE!!?!?!

But yeah actual football is way more fun.

Any post season bowl game is good for the team and the program. As mentioned, that is an extra set of practices and game experience. Furthermore, you'd have a chance for more eyes to watch the Gophers who are potential recruits.

Bowl games are a good way to inflate a coaches' record by a game. PJ could have a 6 win season this way.

It's unlikely actually. FBS has added a handful of teams the past few years, and there are only 39 bowl games instead of 40.

Bowl games.

People like to complain that there are too many.
But it sure beats sitting in a quiet room chatting with in-laws over the holidays.

Ditto. I'm for any bowl - no matter what or where. Extra practice for team, fun for them, shuts up the relatives.

1 more win!! #WhyNotUs

The CFB season is short enough. Would love an additional game to watch no matter how we get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1000

Watching a Gophers bowl game over the holidays is one of my great joys in life, regardless of who they play. I usually go out to a sports bar or something with my extended family to watch the first half and then return home to warm adult beverages to watch the second half. Treated the Detroit Bowl (whatever it's called) two years ago no differently and enjoyed it just as much.

We won't have much idea for another 2 weeks what the Gophers chances are of making a bowl with 5 wins, but I'm still holding out hope for 6 wins anyway.

Bowl games are a good way to inflate a coaches' record by a game. PJ could have a 6 win season this way.

Correct. Bowl games make it look like 9 win coaches are 10 win coaches. Make it look like 8 win coaches are 7 win coaches.

I don’t mind bowl games...but I’d rather be 6-7 with a bowl loss than 6-7 with a bowl win. With the exception of about 5 bowl games a regular season win holds greater value than a bowl win for me.

Top Bottom