Gophers likely 1 win away from Bowl Game

We can still win 9 games this year. Go Gophers!

Count me as a Bowl Game watcher. Shouldn't have to remind anybody but half the teams lose their Bowl Game too. A 5-7 teams can come out of it 5-8 too.

Bowl practices are important for a coach trying to establish a new paradigm. It's like having an extra spring camp. While the destination and competition may not be elite, I'd certainly welcome a bowl game.

Count me as a Bowl Game watcher. Shouldn't have to remind anybody but half the teams lose their Bowl Game too. A 5-7 teams can come out of it 5-8 too.

Correct

Which is why I said 6-7 with a bowl loss is better than 6-7 with a bowl win.
With the exception of a select few bowls I would value any bowl result as way less important than any regular season result.

Either 6-7 is better than any 5-8

Correct

With the exception of a select few bowls I would value any bowl result as way less important than any regular season result.

Players get more practice time and they enjoy the trip. We get another CFB game watching our favorite team- count me in !

I have a solution for those people - turn their TVs off during the bowl game. I'll gladly watch bonus Gopher football.

Exactly. I understand if people think it's stupid or that there are too many bowl games. If you don't like it, don't turn it on. People (especially in the media) seemed to be offended by it two years ago.

Cue the "they should turn it down" crowd.

Ya they can suck it. It's the way it is now. I am sure 30 years ago the five win crowd was the eight win crowd, just the way the bowl system is and if we get in because of academics, hats off to the previous staff and for this one for keeping it going

Exactly. I understand if people think it's stupid or that there are too many bowl games. If you don't like it, don't turn it on. People (especially in the media) seemed to be offended by it two years ago.

I think bowl games are good for the players and for the fans. The extra practices are good for a new coaching staff, but I don't think they matter much once the staff has been here several years. Plus I like watching another Gopher game around the holidays. I just don't get worked up about the outcome of the bowl game. B1G games make or break the season for me.

They must win one or two remaining games.

I think bowl games are good for the players and for the fans. The extra practices are good for a new coaching staff, but I don't think they matter much once the staff has been here several years. Plus I like watching another Gopher game around the holidays. I just don't get worked up about the outcome of the bowl game. B1G games make or break the season for me.

I would agree with this, with the exception of a bowl like the Rose Bowl or one of the championship bowls. Then I'd care a lot about the outcome.

Bowl games.

People like to complain that there are too many.
But it sure beats sitting in a quiet room chatting with in-laws over the holidays.

Truer words have never been spoken.

I never understood the people who complain about more football.

Cue the "they should turn it down" crowd.

And the "insert-funny-name-of-fictional-company(usually related to butt or poop stuff)-that-I-came-up-with-because-I'm-so-funny-and-clever-Bowl Game" crowd.

Correct

Disagree. The most important game of the season is always the last one especially when it is featured on national TV over the holiday season with less competition in its time slot.

I never understood the people who complain about more football.

Yeah, I don't get it either unless they are so pessimistic about the team that they can only foresee an additional loss.

It's one thing to pass on a bowl at 5 wins when limping into the end of the season far below expectations, injuries galore, coaches on the way out, under scandal, etc.

It's ridiculous to do so when most everyone is returning, things are generally happy, and the team is having a generic rebuilding season under a new coaching staff and new QBs.

I would agree with this, with the exception of a bowl like the Rose Bowl or one of the championship bowls. Then I'd care a lot about the outcome.

I agree, but we’ll worry about that when we get there

Bowl games.

But it sure beats sitting in a quiet room chatting with in-laws over the holidays.

It's the 13 or so before the Holidays...

Sometimes Cousin Eddie brings the whole family and they stay a while.... otherwise not watching the games you don't want to works.

Oh, I agree. Just saying the "too many bowl games" complaint would drop dramatically with 25-ish of them instead of 40.

Bowl games.

Agreed. I personally will watch every piece of crap bowl they throw at me. I watched that Army/ North Texas tilt last year and would be happy to do so again.

Agreed. I personally will watch every piece of crap bowl they throw at me. I watched that Army/ North Texas tilt last year and would be happy to do so again.

Anybody who's watching the Tuesday or Wednesday night MAC games, or most of the Thursday and Friday night games for that matter shouldn't be complaining about Bowl Games. Most of those games don't really "matter" either.

But you still can see a hell of a game once and awhile too. Which is all it really is about.

People watch bowl games.
They are money makers.

Good way for half the teams to finish on a high note.

People who complain about Bowl Games, simply like to do so simply to prove that on a Tuesday evening before New Years Eve, they have really important things to do and no time for Bowl Games.

The bottom-tier bowl games may be played by .500 teams in front of 3,000 fans in undesirable locations, but millions of people watch them on television. And those millions don't care if they're watching a 5-7 team or a 6-6 team.

Disagree. The most important game of the season is always the last one especially when it is featured on national TV over the holiday season with less competition in its time slot.

To me, finish within the big ten is more important than how we do against randomly assigned opponent X who may or may not be motivated to play against us anyways.

Once you’re in a bowl, it is certainly better to win it.

But take 2003.
Would’ve you rather beaten one of those three losses, been 10-2 and lost a bowl game. Or lose all 3 and win a bowl game. I take the former.

Take last year. 8-4 win a bowl. Or go 9-3 (beat one of Penn State, Iowa, Nebraska, Wisconsin) and then lose a bowl game.

You can’t honestly think going 8-4 and winning a bowl game is better than going 9-3 and losing a bowl game? What game matters the least of these 5:
Wazzu
Penn State
Iowa
Nebraska
Wisconsin

My point of view has always been that you like to win the last game of the season, and you hate to lose the last game of the season, because it carries over through the off-season. I just feel better about a team that wins its last game, whether it's the final regular-season game or a bowl game.

So, if the Gophers wind up in a bowl game, I root for them to win. Hopefully the Gophs can find a way to win at least 2 of the remaining 4 games and get to 6 wins. If they go to a bowl at 5-7, I'll still watch the game, but that means putting up with the media taking shots at the Gophers for a month for going to a bowl with a sub-.500 record.

Top Bottom