What the Gophers Head Coach Should Say, and How He Should Say It....

John Galt

Reaction score
GHers know better than anyone what a head coach should be saying at all times. This winds it's way into most threads, so I thought it would be best to have one place where PJ could learn the rules. So leave your thoughts here: how should PJ set expectations, what should and shouldn't he say about players after a loss, and what should he say publicly about culture. Since he's still learning, he will benefit greatly from the wealth of knowledgeable GHers and can then get his speeches down to a science...

A mention of Spoofin here and there would be nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The coach should be stoic and neutral in both tone and facial expressions, taking great care not to appear excited. In wins he may occasionally be allowed to smile, but only if this victory comes by a wide margin against a quality opponent (as determined by message board consensus).

No mention of culture or process should ever be made. Answers should stick to “yes” or “no” and to the point unless the board is demanding further explanation behind a coaching decision. Then we need a transparent answer with as much detail as possible. Under no circumstances should he mention in a loss how close we were to winning. Instead, he should begin each presser with a sincere apology for each unsuccessful play that was run during the game.

Expectations should be kept mediocre. He should neither warn us that it is going to be a rough season, nor present reason for hope.

Injuries are a forbidden topic, unless it is a request for a prognostication on when said player will return.

This is just a starting point, I’m sure others will be able to provide additional requirements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bud Grant.

That's the only type of coach that will ever be universally liked here.

In sports as a coach if you say anything... someone looking to not like it or spin it will.

Sometimes I think the same folks who demand a coach say something would be upset if he said it too.

Gopher fans and players have spent a lot of money, emotional energy, and time on past iterations of the Gophers. The coach needs to speak about hope for the future without denigrating past Gopher teams/ coaches/ programs. Be positive but honest and avoid phrases like "Year Zero" that devalue the work done prior to your arrival.

It really doesn't have to boiled down to a science.

He should avoid lying. - - I think he's done well here.
He should avoid complete nonsense. - - I don't think he's doing well here. That Year Zero stuff is just dumb.
He should avoid overly scripted narrations. - - I don't think he's doing well here. All of his stories are incredibly scripted.
He should avoid saying too much. - - I think he's done well here.
He should avoid throwing people under the bus. - - I think he's done well here.

As far as demeanor, I don't really think there is a standard. He should avoid being like Mangino (he's obviously succeeded there).
Excitement is cool.
Being stoic is cool.
I had no issue with him laying on the sidelines or being more of a personality.
I had no issue with other coaches being more reserved.

It's really not that difficult and it applies to pretty everyone who has a job where they have much client/public interface. Try to be genuine and honest.

Anyone who has been hurt or offended by anything PJ has said since he's been in Minnesota is being a gigantic whiney bitch.

Truth. ;)

Anyone who has been hurt or offended by anything PJ has said since he's been in Minnesota is being a gigantic whiney bitch.

Truth. ;)

Bahahahaha! - that's funny. Seriously, is it possible to even stand up in front of a large group of people in our society of snowflakes without offending at least one and their needed to go to social media?

Bud Grant.

And even he wasn't like until after year three when he went 12-2.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Bud Grant is like Ronald Reagan.... it's easy to talk big about him.

If he were still still doing his thing the folks who put the most work into praising while he's not here, would actually be the folks who run him out of town if he was here.

There's got to be a better way to say that but I can't brain right now so there ya go...

Bud Grant.

Granted it's not as high-stakes, but I think Don Lucia for the most part is pretty well-liked and you could probably say the same about Doug Woog before him. I think Kill was well-liked also.

We, We, We, We, and more We. Instead of I, I, I, I, I and more I. Anytime he's talking about the program it should be "we."

Exception, when things go amiss: "I" should be used more than "we"

The whole year zero thing was a mistake as that rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. But in the end there is no way to please everyone so just go out and be yourself and whatever happens happens. Some will love you, some will hate you. If your goal is to be universally liked it isn't going to happen.

He needs to put on a few pounds of winter fat. He's too fit, like Jim Souhan. [emoji41]

1- You're not a sixth grade social studies teacher. You did that for a few months and have been coaching ever since. You're a football coach.
2- Stop punctuating every other sentence with 'okay' or 'alright' when explaining something. It sounds condescending.
3- Year Zero

What modern coaches would you say are similar to Grant?

Popovich, Belichick, Zimmer

Crusty tough pessimistic sour

Closest in college football is Leach

FYI the above can be seen as an "act" as much as PJ's way of doing things/

The whole year zero thing was a mistake as that rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. But in the end there is no way to please everyone so just go out and be yourself and whatever happens happens. Some will love you, some will hate you. If your goal is to be universally liked it isn't going to happen.

People who are upset with year zero or year one, aren't thinking their way through the statement. When you were born, you weren't one automatically. You were zero, then 3 months, 6 months, you get the picture. I am sure PJ was thinking along those lines. Year 1 happens after experiences and growth.

Ultimately this is all message board crap.

Here are the rules:
1. If you win a lot, you can say whatever you want.
2. If you don't win a lot, it doesn't matter what you say.

I'm not smart enough to come up with all the things he should say. Plus, let's be honest: the original post was more of a statement than an effort to spark real conversation.

I will say this, though: I used to gobble up everything I could about Gopher football, especially from the coach. That's still true, but Fleck interviews are the last thing I get to and I don't worry about missing them. While he's been better during the season, Fleck talks in cliches and silly catch phrases, and doesn't provide much real information. And his more recent habit of taking all the blame for everything that goes wrong on the field is insulting.

I'm a big podcast fan on my commute. Gaard's Sunday morning recap and his podcast with Dan O'Brien, Burns's two weekly podcasts and Mason's hour with Barriero are great. If I still have time, then I'll get to Fleck's Tuesday KFAN show. The PJ Fleck TV show is unwatchable, and thank god SON recaps Sid's show for us.

I'm not mad about it; he is who he is. I just tune out.

Truth. ;)

Well I for one don't care for this year zero bull****. You can "change the culture" and still beat teams with less talent.

What modern coaches would you say are similar to Grant?

No one.

But that's what fans on here want.
In the meantime, we'll keep thinking anything we don't have anymore or never will have is better than what we have.

I'm not smart enough to come up with all the things he should say. Plus, let's be honest: the original post was more of a statement than an effort to spark real conversation.

I will say this, though: I used to gobble up everything I could about Gopher football, especially from the coach. That's still true, but Fleck interviews are the last thing I get to and I don't worry about missing them. While he's been better during the season, Fleck talks in cliches and silly catch phrases, and doesn't provide much real information. And his more recent habit of taking all the blame for everything that goes wrong on the field is insulting.

I'm a big podcast fan on my commute. Gaard's Sunday morning recap and his podcast with Dan O'Brien, Burns's two weekly podcasts and Mason's hour with Barriero are great. If I still have time, then I'll get to Fleck's Tuesday KFAN show. The PJ Fleck TV show is unwatchable, and thank god SON recaps Sid's show for us.

I'm not mad about it; he is who he is. I just tune out.

I think that's fine.
I get tired of PJ's repetition on certain things, but I only see that because I listen / watch almost every show / press conference he does.
Part of that is a marketing message.
To get a message out you need to repeat it over and over again.

I hate marketing myself. But at the same time, it's necessary.

When it gets too much, I fast forward and look for the new content. Having heard him enough, when he starts talking about something I've heard before, I can almost guess how long that stories goes and just fast forward past it.

I think that's fine.
I get tired of PJ's repetition on certain things, but I only see that because I listen / watch almost every show / press conference he does.
Part of that is a marketing message.
To get a message out you need to repeat it over and over again.

I hate marketing myself. But at the same time, it's necessary.

When it gets too much, I fast forward and look for the new content. Having heard him enough, when he starts talking about something I've heard before, I can almost guess how long that stories goes and just fast forward past it.
Fair enough; that's certainly part of it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

He's a jerk too once you get to know him.

That unfortunately happens with celebrities sometimes. I've never met Grant but that happened to me with a different Minnesota legend. I had other people with me thank God. I was like "Did I say something wrong". They were like "No he was a jerk to you".

Meet your heroes at your own risk.

My opinion has been and will continue to be that people care too much about what coaches say to the media and fans.

Top Bottom