All things - Tracy Claeys coaching rumors - thread

Are you serious Clark? Half the board is convinced we'd by 7-1 or 8-0 if TC was still the HC.

I haven't seen anyone calling to bring Kill or Claeys back either. I think there are a lot of people on here who are Gopher fans and that means having some loyalty to the players and coaches who were here and now gone.

Not sure why you have to tear apart the carcass of Claeys or Kill to prove your loyalty to Fleck? And it goes without saying that however the Fleck era ends here the same crowd will feel the need to do the same to old PJ to show allegiance to whoever follows him.

I think Claeys has proven that he can be one of the better Defensive Coordinators in the country. Clearly, he isn't cut out to be a rah rah lead-spokesman for a program, which is required today for some reason that is beyond me. Thus, I think he's best served as a DC, and has a bright future in that role.

I wish him well in whichever path he chooses. No matter what indiciduals say on here, or what the report resulting from some ultraliberal witch hunt says, or what he looks like physically, or his prowess as a public speaker, Claeys is a great human being. He's the kind of guy people should be rooting for, and I'll continue to do so.

Are you serious Clark? Half the board is convinced we'd by 7-1 or 8-0 if TC was still the HC.

All you're missing is a donkey to sit on and a sidekick named Sancho Panza. You have battling windmills down pat.

All you're missing is a donkey to sit on and a sidekick named Sancho Panza. You have battling windmills down pat.

653.gif

I think Claeys has proven that he can be one of the better Defensive Coordinators in the country. Clearly, he isn't cut out to be a rah rah lead-spokesman for a program, which is required today for some reason that is beyond me. Thus, I think he's best served as a DC, and has a bright future in that role.

I wish him well in whichever path he chooses. No matter what indiciduals say on here, or what the report resulting from some ultraliberal witch hunt says, or what he looks like physically, or his prowess as a public speaker, Claeys is a great human being. He's the kind of guy people should be rooting for, and I'll continue to do so.

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not returning from San Diego when the team boycotted wasn't on the AD. Choosing to not have a phone/video conference with the players after the boycott wasn't on the AD. Tweeting his support of the boycott wasn't on the AD. Whether he agreed with Coyle's decisions or not, publicly not supporting them is insubordination. Coyle could definitely have done things better, no argument. But reread Claeys' letter once and every excuse he makes ask yourself whether those statements are statements made by a coach who had control of his program. He was over his head, it became abundantly clear, and he was canned.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I still don't buy for a second that Claeys is canned without his ineptitude and insubordination during the incident. I'm not arguing whether Coyle wanted to make a change, but I just don't buy he pulls the trigger without this incident. I wouldn't be shocked if they would have waited to give him an extension and I wouldn't be surprised if he would have been let go this year (assuming a similar record).

Its hard to give a nuanced argument in 140 characters. People that aren't idiotic understood he was talking about the injustice his players received and the teams decision to stand together. NOT promotion of rape culture. Some still do not seem to understand nobody at the athletic department understood OR could communicate the appeals process to the team, which directly led to the boycott.

The guys were right to be upset. It was an injustice. I'm glad much-neeeded attention was brought to these proceedings and it seems like everyone involved learned some things.

1. He did return, just not fast enough to have his opinions heard by the team before they decided to boycott. The AD meeting with the team without him present was the problem.
2. He did meet with the team upon returning, there mind was already made up.
3. He supported his players decision to boycott, because there were players being suspended who had not previously been involved. I believe any reasonable person understands the boycott was about those players and not the ones who were part of the incident. Not sure what is wrong with supporting that aspect of it. His tweet was not a good one and he readily admitted that in his letter to the PP.
If he had no control over his team, why did they play so hard for him at the bowl game. A coach with no control wouldn't have been able to bring the rest of the team together and get them to play their collective a%%es off to win that bowl game.

He didn't handle everything in the best way. I believe he also learned a tremendous amount during that whole time and would have used it all to become an even better leader than he had been prior to that and would have kept this program on the right path to winning a BIG title. He was let go, so we will never know if that would have been true or not.

It is PJ's turn to make it happen.
:clap:

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Oh crap. This thread just turned into a typical TC thread. Yuck.

On a side note, some are saying that he might be a good person for Arkansas to look into whether a HC or DC position.

Kansas / Arkansas, a couple good opportunities could be popping up.
Someone mentioned the Kent St or other smaller jobs. I think that might be a great next step for Tracy. He'd probably do very well at a school like that.

Its hard to give a nuanced argument in 140 characters. People that aren't idiotic understood he was talking about the injustice his players received and the teams decision to stand together. NOT promotion of rape culture. Some still do not seem to understand nobody at the athletic department understood OR could communicate the appeals process to the team, which directly led to the boycott.

The guys were right to be upset. It was an injustice. I'm glad much-neeeded attention was brought to these proceedings and it seems like everyone involved learned some things.

There was no injustice. The U's student disciplinary process is plastered all over their website for everyone to read. It takes no more than 10 minutes to understand the player's rights during the hearings and appeals process. The U followed their disiplinary process to the letter and that is why none of the players have sued the U for damages or to overturn their punishment. If Claeys ever had chance to keep his job he totally blew it when he publicly refused to support Kaler and Coyle's decision to suspend the player's for the bowl game. It was an act of insubordination that would have gotten him fired from every college football program in the country.

There was no injustice. The U's student disciplinary process is plastered all over their website for everyone to read. It takes no more than 10 minutes to understand the player's rights during the hearings and appeals process. The U followed their disiplinary process to the letter and that is why none of the players have sued the U for damages or to overturn their punishment. If Claeys ever had chance to keep his job he totally blew it when he publicly refused to support Kaler and Coyle's decision to suspend the player's for the bowl game. It was an act of insubordination that would have gotten him fired from every college football program in the country.

You are dead on. Claeys made a fatal, HC career ending move. The "Idiots" are the ones that don't realize there are rules and laws, not "concepts" and "situational ethics". The AD and Prez had to battle both the situation and the boundless numbers of know-it-all "TV lawyers" and "couch potato ethicists" that had no idea what really happened and had no idea what they were blowing out of their collective asses.

I actually was not a big Claeys fan, just haven't taken the plunge on Fleck. I am actually a Mason guy, so I am gonna keep playing the waiting game.

i don't understand people who qualify their fandom on who is the coach. we're the minnesota golden gophers and i will be a fan if donald trump jr is the head coach.

i don't understand people who qualify their fandom on who is the coach. we're the minnesota golden gophers and i will be a fan if donald trump jr is the head coach.

Exactly! Not sure why people struggle so much to understand that liking a coach and supporting the team are independent options.

You are dead on. Claeys made a fatal, HC career ending move. The "Idiots" are the ones that don't realize there are rules and laws, not "concepts" and "situational ethics". The AD and Prez had to battle both the situation and the boundless numbers of know-it-all "TV lawyers" and "couch potato ethicists" that had no idea what really happened and had no idea what they were blowing out of their collective asses.

Lots of " and lots of name calling, but no mention of anyone being a girl?

Ya there was half of those kids weren't even in the room

Arkansas D coordinator seems like a good fit for Claeys. They have struggled mightily to stop anyone for a few years and Claeys has shown that he can build good solid defenses even if he doesn't have top level talent.

I am also interested to watch Sawvel's career path. Doing a decent job at Wake Forest. Another gig where you are going to have to figure out how to stop top level athletes with 2 star athletes.

Minnesota lead the Western Division of Big Ten in scoring last season.

Where is last year's offensive coordinator?

What the hell has happened to you? Giving a "dead on" to the worst poster in the history of Gopher Hole? The guy is pushing a false agenda and not even doing it well.

You've never really had good opinions, but at least you used to seem to be a good person.

1. He did return, just not fast enough to have his opinions heard by the team before they decided to boycott. The AD meeting with the team without him present was the problem.
2. He did meet with the team upon returning, there mind was already made up.
3. He supported his players decision to boycott, because there were players being suspended who had not previously been involved. I believe any reasonable person understands the boycott was about those players and not the ones who were part of the incident. Not sure what is wrong with supporting that aspect of it. His tweet was not a good one and he readily admitted that in his letter to the PP.
If he had no control over his team, why did they play so hard for him at the bowl game. A coach with no control wouldn't have been able to bring the rest of the team together and get them to play their collective a%%es off to win that bowl game.

He didn't handle everything in the best way. I believe he also learned a tremendous amount during that whole time and would have used it all to become an even better leader than he had been prior to that and would have kept this program on the right path to winning a BIG title. He was let go, so we will never know if that would have been true or not.

It is PJ's turn to make it happen.

1. He returned when he was previously scheduled to return, not early. He should have been on an airplane within hours of the boycott being announced. He wasn't in Timbuktu. There are flights from San Diego several times a day, not to mention John Wayne, Long Beach, LAX, etc.
2. He met with the players after the report had been leaked and they had already announced they'd give up the boycott. This was roughly two days after the boycott started. That is inexcusable.
3. Reread all the headlines from the papers and/or ask non-fans what the boycott was about. Only real fans understand the nuances behind it. Most people felt they were excusing assault, saying football was more important than the woman's trauma. I can't believe Claeys didn't realize how it was being viewed, but maybe he was too close to the situation. He did admit his tweet wasn't good, but I don't think he completely gets it by his qualifying statements.

Control as I mean it is more institutionally, not relative to how players play. It's managing public perception, ensuring team rules are being followed, when team rules are broken being consistent with punishments, etc. While I also don't think the investigation was done very fairly, how could a coach justify not suspending players that a University review board had recommended suspension and/or expulsion from the University (not just the team)? What leg does he have to stand on? And again, the fact he still doesn't get the University was legally bound to investigate is beyond me. He still believes the investigation wasn't in the University's purview. After all this time he still doesn't get they legally had to do it.

That does not sound like a Power 5 head coach to me.

1. He returned when he was previously scheduled to return, not early. He should have been on an airplane within hours of the boycott being announced. He wasn't in Timbuktu. There are flights from San Diego several times a day, not to mention John Wayne, Long Beach, LAX, etc.
2. He met with the players after the report had been leaked and they had already announced they'd give up the boycott. This was roughly two days after the boycott started. That is inexcusable.
3. Reread all the headlines from the papers and/or ask non-fans what the boycott was about. Only real fans understand the nuances behind it. Most people felt they were excusing assault, saying football was more important than the woman's trauma. I can't believe Claeys didn't realize how it was being viewed, but maybe he was too close to the situation. He did admit his tweet wasn't good, but I don't think he completely gets it by his qualifying statements.

Control as I mean it is more institutionally, not relative to how players play. It's managing public perception, ensuring team rules are being followed, when team rules are broken being consistent with punishments, etc. While I also don't think the investigation was done very fairly, how could a coach justify not suspending players that a University review board had recommended suspension and/or expulsion from the University (not just the team)? What leg does he have to stand on? And again, the fact he still doesn't get the University was legally bound to investigate is beyond me. He still believes the investigation wasn't in the University's purview. After all this time he still doesn't get they legally had to do it.

That does not sound like a Power 5 head coach to me.

It also doesn't sound like a Power 5 athletic director that would let all those things happen....unless of course he wanted to use the situation as an excuse to fire the coach and at the same time make himself look better.

Ya there was half of those kids weren't even in the room

The suspended players who weren't in "the room" were accused of lying about where they were that night, watching, commenting on, and taking photos of the gangbang without permission of all the participants, and obstructing the investigation by wiping their cellphones clean and coordinating their stories among the players who participated in the sex, or who were in the apartment during the sex. Whatever conduct each of the ten players were accused of it all violated the U's student code of conduct. Kaler and Coyle had plenty of evidence to suspend all ten players from the bowl game. The players who won their appeals should consider themselves to be very fortunate. Their behavior during and after the gangbang was reprehensible.

The suspended players who weren't in "the room" were accused of lying about where they were that night, watching, commenting on, and taking photos of the gangbang without permission of all the participants, and obstructing the investigation by wiping their cellphones clean and coordinating their stories among the players who participated in the sex, or who were in the apartment during the sex. Whatever conduct each of the ten players were accused of it all violated the U's student code of conduct. Kaler and Coyle had plenty of evidence to suspend all ten players from the bowl game. The players who won their appeals should consider themselves to be very fortunate. Their behavior during and after the gangbang was reprehensible.

I feel like I saw you on tv once at a Billy Graham revival.

Top Bottom