All things - Tracy Claeys coaching rumors - thread

I like the Gophers a lot so I think I'll stay here. Will you be following Claeys on his next p5 head coaching journey?

I actually was not a big Claeys fan, just haven't taken the plunge on Fleck. I am actually a Mason guy, so I am gonna keep playing the waiting game.

I actually was not a big Claeys fan, just haven't taken the plunge on Fleck. I am actually a Mason guy, so I am gonna keep playing the waiting game.

Well at least you accepted the internet in under 30 years ;)

Kansas would be tough for anyone, though another large man, Mangino, managed a 10-1 season there not too long ago. I would like to have seen Claeys stay at MN four or five years total - recruiting for offense being the challenge, as it still is. He should land a DC spot in a major program, maybe an HC somewhere. My guess is he would take KS, if offered.

Claeys is a high level DC and that is the perfect role for him. He doesn't like all the attention that comes with being the head guy and he just wants to coach football. At least that is how he comes off. I will not be shocked to see him land a really good DC job, I will be shocked if his name is in the mix for any prominent power 5 head coaching positions. Similar to how Limegrover was more than happy to step back from OC to O-line coach I think Tracey will be just fine going from head coach back to coordinator.

Claeys is a high level DC and that is the perfect role for him. He doesn't like all the attention that comes with being the head guy and he just wants to coach football. At least that is how he comes off. I will not be shocked to see him land a really good DC job, I will be shocked if his name is in the mix for any prominent power 5 head coaching positions. Similar to how Limegrover was more than happy to step back from OC to O-line coach I think Tracey will be just fine going from head coach back to coordinator.

My thoughts/impressions exactly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If he were to go the HC route, he'd have a better chance to succeed at another KS that may have a coaching opening - Kent St. Kansas is a coaching graveyard. Would pay way better though of course...

Spot on.

I don't think he'll be in the mix for any prominent power 5 head coaching positions either. Obviously, if he doesn't want such a position, it's not going to happen, but even if he did, I would be surprised if any AD would seriously consider him for such a position. It has nothing to do with his on-field or coaching ability, and everything to do with how he responded to the player boycott and how ADs might have a hard time trusting him to support their decisions and actions.

I hope Claeys doesn't end up at Nebraska

Claey's is quite the playcaller on defense. Last thing we need as Gopher fans is for him to end up at Nebraska. If Riley hangs on or a new coach would hire TC at Nebraska, they would become the black shirt defense again. X and O's al TC can call a pretty damn good defense. The D guys like to play for him. Say what you want about petsonality, but TC can coach football. He will have a job by next season. The dude can coach.

There are going to be a lot of job openings this year geographically attractive to Tracy Claeys. I see possible openings at Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas, and Nebraska, while I don't really see TC getting the head coaching position at one of them, he could easily be a candidate for defensive coordinator at any of them

Claeys got out of Minnesota at just the right time, just before the team reverted to 4-8 or 5-7. A DC job looks likely for him.

Why are people all worried about Claeys? Who cares? I wish him the best, hope he gets a sweet deal to coach somewhere and maximize his earning potential. I hope he succeeds and never beats our team. He's an after though to me. Best of luck to him.

If Florida hired PJ would you go with him and be on his staff or stay here?

If Florida hired PJ do you think the Gophers would have a shot at Tracey Claeys? I heard he won 9 games one year.

Let's keep this to Tracy Claeys coaching rumors please.

All other TC topics can be discussed in numerous other threads.

His ability to "schmooze boosters" was as strong as anyone who has been here. He was pretty poor at public duties like blowing smoke up peoples A@^%s. No question you can't win blowing smoke.

Show me the money! Boosters were not giving money under Claeys, who do you think got into the AD’s ear about changing coaches?

If Florida hired PJ do you think the Gophers would have a shot at Tracey Claeys? I heard he won 9 games one year.

Probably not. Our last couple of hires have only had MAC level head coaching experience. He has coached at the Power 5 level.

Let's keep this to Tracy Claeys coaching rumors please. This thread was created to mock Tracy Claeys, deflect any criticism of the present staff and troll for responses. Please respect all the disrespect that was intended.

+1

Show me the money! Boosters were not giving money under Claeys, who do you think got into the AD’s ear about changing coaches?

Lois Feldman?

How do you make that determination?

Easy. President Kaler. Probably in their initial discussion. No problem with that either. Problem was not telling Claeys that he was gonna only be an interim coach in the first place.

Easy. President Kaler. Probably in their initial discussion. No problem with that either. Problem was not telling Claeys that he was gonna only be an interim coach in the first place.

I think he was told that pretty clearly based on the contract he received. I can't think of many Power 5 HC firings in recent years (that weren't for cause) where the school had to pay less than we did to fire the coach

I think he was told that pretty clearly based on the contract he received. I can't think of many Power 5 HC firings in recent years (that weren't for cause) where the school had to pay less than we did to fire the coach

Was it also clearly communicated to him just weeks before when Coyle told him to his face he was staying on?

So if Claeys never coaches again that makes PJ better, how? Everytime there is unhappiness with PJ we hear a "Kill did this" or "Claeys did that". Really guys, what's up? No one is posting that they want Claeys back. Not liking PJ can stand all on its own.

Are you serious Clark? Half the board is convinced we'd by 7-1 or 8-0 if TC was still the HC.

Are you serious Clark? Half the board is convinced we'd by 7-1 or 8-0 if TC was still the HC.

I think we would likely have a win or two more this year, but I don't wish we still had Claeys. These are not necessarily linked opinions.

I think you are underestimating the utter inept performance of the AD.

Not returning from San Diego when the team boycotted wasn't on the AD. Choosing to not have a phone/video conference with the players after the boycott wasn't on the AD. Tweeting his support of the boycott wasn't on the AD. Whether he agreed with Coyle's decisions or not, publicly not supporting them is insubordination. Coyle could definitely have done things better, no argument. But reread Claeys' letter once and every excuse he makes ask yourself whether those statements are statements made by a coach who had control of his program. He was over his head, it became abundantly clear, and he was canned.

Are you saying the new ad took his actions during and after the incident into account in the firing?

As Styx says - "fooling yourself, you dont beleive it"

We'll have to agree to disagree. I still don't buy for a second that Claeys is canned without his ineptitude and insubordination during the incident. I'm not arguing whether Coyle wanted to make a change, but I just don't buy he pulls the trigger without this incident. I wouldn't be shocked if they would have waited to give him an extension and I wouldn't be surprised if he would have been let go this year (assuming a similar record).

1. Not returning from San Diego when the team boycotted wasn't on the AD. 2. Choosing to not have a phone/video conference with the players after the boycott wasn't on the AD. Tweeting his support of the boycott wasn't on the AD. Whether he agreed with Coyle's decisions or not, publicly not supporting them is insubordination. Coyle could definitely have done things better, no argument. But reread Claeys' letter once and every excuse he makes ask yourself whether those statements are statements made by a coach who had control of his program. He was over his head, it became abundantly clear, and he was canned.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I still don't buy for a second that Claeys is canned without his ineptitude and insubordination during the incident. I'm not arguing whether Coyle wanted to make a change, but I just don't buy he pulls the trigger without this incident. I wouldn't be shocked if they would have waited to give him an extension and I wouldn't be surprised if he would have been let go this year (assuming a similar record).

1. He did return, just not fast enough to have his opinions heard by the team before they decided to boycott. The AD meeting with the team without him present was the problem.
2. He did meet with the team upon returning, there mind was already made up.
3. He supported his players decision to boycott, because there were players being suspended who had not previously been involved. I believe any reasonable person understands the boycott was about those players and not the ones who were part of the incident. Not sure what is wrong with supporting that aspect of it. His tweet was not a good one and he readily admitted that in his letter to the PP.
If he had no control over his team, why did they play so hard for him at the bowl game. A coach with no control wouldn't have been able to bring the rest of the team together and get them to play their collective a%%es off to win that bowl game.

He didn't handle everything in the best way. I believe he also learned a tremendous amount during that whole time and would have used it all to become an even better leader than he had been prior to that and would have kept this program on the right path to winning a BIG title. He was let go, so we will never know if that would have been true or not.

It is PJ's turn to make it happen.

Not returning from San Diego when the team boycotted wasn't on the AD. Choosing to not have a phone/video conference with the players after the boycott wasn't on the AD. Tweeting his support of the boycott wasn't on the AD. Whether he agreed with Coyle's decisions or not, publicly not supporting them is insubordination. Coyle could definitely have done things better, no argument. But reread Claeys' letter once and every excuse he makes ask yourself whether those statements are statements made by a coach who had control of his program. He was over his head, it became abundantly clear, and he was canned.

Amen. TC may have gotten short changed, but in those circumstances an HC needs to do better / more. The results might end up being the same, but his actions have to be better.

A new AD is going to be concerned with that, and it was pretty apparent TC didn't handle it the way you would want an HC to do.

Top Bottom