STrib: P.J. Fleck will protect the rest of Gophers freshman class

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Randy:

The Gophers have played four true freshmen this year, and all have started. Wide receiver Demetrius Douglas was a starter from the opener before his season-ending injury (undisclosed) after three games, while defensive end Nate Umlor, safety Ken Handy-Holly and cornerback Justus Harris all are in the starting lineup.

But that should be it for true freshmen playing. Unless there’s an emergency, coach P.J. Fleck said he won’t pull a redshirt with four games remaining.

“Right now, it will hurt the kid, and it will hurt the future,” Fleck said. “And I don’t think it’ll help us enough now to get us to a point that I think it’ll be productive.”

Earlier in the season, Fleck considered playing true freshman cornerback Rey Estes, a converted quarterback, but Estes suffered a wrist injury two weeks ago in practice.

“It just got too late,” Fleck said.

http://www.startribune.com/p-j-fleck-will-protect-the-rest-of-gophers-freshman-class/454194623/

Go Gophers!!

Good, I hate seeing RS lost for few plays

I could give examples, but don't want to dwell on the past

It seems a formality that Douglas will get a medical waiver, meaning that the entire freshman class except Umlor, Handy-Holly and Harris (all starting) will be redshirted. Excellent. The management of redshirts was probably my single biggest criticism of Kill - and I hope the current trend continues under Fleck. If we can keep the majority of these guys here, we will have a deep and experienced team in 2020 and 2021.

It seems a formality that Douglas will get a medical waiver, meaning that the entire freshman class except Umlor, Handy-Holly and Harris (all starting) will be redshirted. Excellent. The management of redshirts was probably my single biggest criticism of Kill and I hope this trend continues under Fleck. If we can keep the majority of these guys here, we will have a deep and experienced team in 2020 and 2021.
Shouldn't there have been at least a comma after Kill, or did you mean you would like to see Kill's mismanagement of redshirts continue under Fleck?

Shouldn't there have been at least a comma after Kill, or did you mean you would like to see Kill's mismanagement of redshirts continue under Fleck?

Good call - poorly worded sentence on my part.

I guess I don't feel as strongly about preserving redshirts than most. If the player is good enough to make the team better as a freshman, let them play.

It's easy in hindsight to say they shouldn't have burned a kids redshirt. But, when you're working prospectively, you want to do what it takes to win as many games as possible. Counting chickens four years down the road could be equally as risky. (The player may be in the NFL, injured, retired, the coach might be fired, an apolyptic impact even may have occurred on the 50-yard line of the Bank, etc).

This is all under the assumption that the redshirt is burned because the kid is the best option at that position, and the difference between him and the other prospective starter could be significant enough that it could cost the team a win or cause a player safety issue (turnstile o-lineman, etc). Obviously, coaches aren't just burning red shirts because they enjoy it, or think it's a sound strategy to play guys who aren't ready.

Something to think about. If Fleck is the recruiter some people believe him to be, that means he will be bringing in a better caliber of athlete.

So, if Recruit X is a potential NFL prospect, there is a chance he will only be a Gopher for three years. In that situation, using a redshirt would simply deny the gophers the use of that player's abilities for one year.

if they can play, let them play. (as always, it depends on the position. there is no reason why a stud RB or WR can't step right into the lineup as a true FR. More difficult in other positions)

I guess I don't feel as strongly about preserving redshirts than most. If the player is good enough to make the team better as a freshman, let them play.

It's easy in hindsight to say they shouldn't have burned a kids redshirt. But, when you're working prospectively, you want to do what it takes to win as many games as possible. Counting chickens four years down the road could be equally as risky. (The player may be in the NFL, injured, retired, the coach might be fired, an apolyptic impact even may have occurred on the 50-yard line of the Bank, etc).

This is all under the assumption that the redshirt is burned because the kid is the best option at that position, and the difference between him and the other prospective starter could be significant enough that it could cost the team a win or cause a player safety issue (turnstile o-lineman, etc). Obviously, coaches aren't just burning red shirts because they enjoy it, or think it's a sound strategy to play guys who aren't ready.

Too me it's situational.

During a 3-9 season Cobb was put in late in year and got around 10 carries. I would've preferred another year of cobb than lose him over 10 carries late in the year

I don't mind playing freshman. I don't like playing freshman for very limited basis (especially late in the year during a down year).

If you're 9-0 and suddenly lose two O lineman and you think your best bet to move forward is a true freshman that hasn't played, you put him in

if you're 0-9, you throw out a walk on

Something to think about. If Fleck is the recruiter some people believe him to be, that means he will be bringing in a better caliber of athlete.

So, if Recruit X is a potential NFL prospect, there is a chance he will only be a Gopher for three years. In that situation, using a redshirt would simply deny the gophers the use of that player's abilities for one year.

if they can play, let them play. (as always, it depends on the position. there is no reason why a stud RB or WR can't step right into the lineup as a true FR. More difficult in other positions)

Are you saying they'll be gone in just two years instead of three?

You feel that we can reliably say all these guys are going to get drafted like that?

I don't think your theory makes a lot of sense...

That's the right approach. It definitely hurts the future, and the future of these players losing that year of development and eligibility. This season is what it is, no need to start sacrificing the future now with 4 weeks to go.

You feel that we can reliably say all these guys are going to get drafted like that?

Maybe a Maxx Williams situation? Didn't we redshirt him and then get only 2 seasons out of him, where maybe we could have gotten 3?

Maybe a Maxx Williams situation? Didn't we redshirt him and then get only 2 seasons out of him, where maybe we could have gotten 3?

Maybe, but that's all of one dude.... change the policy for everyone because one guy?

I'm fairly sure the coaches know that every player isn't going to be Max... even the big schools red shirt guys and don't worry about it.

Maybe, but that's all of one dude.... change the policy for everyone because one guy?

I'm fairly sure the coaches know that every player isn't going to be Max... even the big schools red shirt guys and don't worry about it.

I wasn't defending the idea - just trying to throw out an example of what I thought he was talking about.

I could see it as a policy if you're Ohio St. or Michigan and all your recruits are 4 or 5 stars though. Maybe PJ will get us to that point? :)

It would depend on the situation for me too. I wouldn't throw a freshman qb in there when we have a terrible oline and recievers and ruin a chance to develop him into a better qb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You realize that there is a lot of room between the abilities of the current roster and going pro in 3 years, don't you?

Recruits also become aware of the known fact: PJ redshirts freshmen. I wanna play. I'm not going to Minnesota. All the big-time schools play 15+ freshmen. Hopefully, PJ can convince the limited better recruits we do get they'll play as freshmen. Double edged sword.

Most players are going to be more physically able to contribute at age 19 than they are at 18. If they end up playing 4 years, you're getting a more physically mature 22 year old instead of a 18 year old for that fourth year of production.

He didn't say everyone, but Maxx Williams is an example of the theory. On the flip side McKnight probably gets drafted if he had one more year to showcase his skills as a WR. A 5th year for Rashede was the difference IMO between being a borderline draft pick to getting picked high in round two

Recruits also become aware of the known fact: PJ redshirts freshmen. I wanna play. I'm not going to Minnesota. All the big-time schools play 15+ freshmen. Hopefully, PJ can convince the limited better recruits we do get they'll play as freshmen. Double edged sword.

Big time schools are landing more high end recruits that are ready to play right away.

Top Bottom