Campbell - Iowa State football coach

Rog

Reaction score
For those who are using Campbell as an example should know this --

Campbell is in his 2nd year

Last year he was 3 and 9 (Fleck so far is 4 - 4)

So far this year he is 6 - 2 with a big win. (Fleck next year ?)

Two big wins. Beat Oklahoma and TCU.

I would hope the people who come here to whine already know this. But they probably do not. Most of them seem more clueless than that.

Campbell 2015 = Fleck 2016. I was shocked when ISU landed him.
But Iowa State lost to Iowa this year. That would still cause meltdowns here, if we're being honest, regardless of any other wins.

No, Fleck has already thrown in the towel on 2018--see other thread.

He was a guy I wanted the gophers to get..oh well

As my moniker suggests, i am both a Cyclone and a Gopher. Since our season isn't going as planned people are looking at Iowa State this year and going wth but with little to no perspective on how they are doing it. Matt Cambell is looking to be a pretty decent coach but you look at the 3-9 record a season ago and it was kind of the exact opposite of the Gophers now. They had an offense that could score points on everybody. A running back in Montgomery that is like brooks and smith and leads nation in broken tackles. They also have 4 legitimate receivers with one in Allen Lazard who will be drafted. The most ridiculous thing about this year is our starting QB took a leave of absence from the team and our starter during this run is a walk on senior who couldn't get playing time at Oregon State. Oregon State!

The biggest change is our Defense which was a sieve last year, but they were young and learning new system. This year we all thought we would be hard pressed for 5 wins cuz our defense would still be woeful. However, they are one of the top units in the league and they did this through key position switches and juco, while also letting youth grow. They don't do anything special play a very basic defensive scheme just keep ball in front of them and are very opportunistic.

I think the gophers while having a less than desired year are poised for the future as we can see the pieces that will anchor a defense for a few years while we have some building pieces on offense that need some talented athletes inserted into. While i'm still not sold on fleck and his personality, i do believe we have the pieces to be good in the future. Everyone talking about winning last year. I'm sorry for you Mitch haters but he was a seasoned starter in the big ten. While he wasn't great he did lead us on multiple game winning drives over his seasons and if we had that dynamic and poise this year in game ending situations we would have at least 1 or 2 more wins.

As my moniker suggests, i am both a Cyclone and a Gopher. Since our season isn't going as planned people are looking at Iowa State this year and going wth but with little to no perspective on how they are doing it. Matt Cambell is looking to be a pretty decent coach but you look at the 3-9 record a season ago and it was kind of the exact opposite of the Gophers now. They had an offense that could score points on everybody. A running back in Montgomery that is like brooks and smith and leads nation in broken tackles. They also have 4 legitimate receivers with one in Allen Lazard who will be drafted. The most ridiculous thing about this year is our starting QB took a leave of absence from the team and our starter during this run is a walk on senior who couldn't get playing time at Oregon State. Oregon State!

The biggest change is our Defense which was a sieve last year, but they were young and learning new system. This year we all thought we would be hard pressed for 5 wins cuz our defense would still be woeful. However, they are one of the top units in the league and they did this through key position switches and juco, while also letting youth grow. They don't do anything special play a very basic defensive scheme just keep ball in front of them and are very opportunistic.

I think the gophers while having a less than desired year are poised for the future as we can see the pieces that will anchor a defense for a few years while we have some building pieces on offense that need some talented athletes inserted into. While i'm still not sold on fleck and his personality, i do believe we have the pieces to be good in the future. Everyone talking about winning last year. I'm sorry for you Mitch haters but he was a seasoned starter in the big ten. While he wasn't great he did lead us on multiple game winning drives over his seasons and if we had that dynamic and poise this year in game ending situations we would have at least 1 or 2 more wins.

Thanks for chiming in. I wouldn't call myself a "fan" of ISU, but they're the team I root for most after the Gophers (although it's not close). I grew up mostly in Iowa as a Gophers fan, so of course I hated Hawkeye fans. The other people who hated Hawkeye fans were Cyclone fans, so they became my people! When a good friend from HS went on to captain the Clones for 3 years, they became my 2nd favorite team :)

I've watched 3 of their games this year and have been super impressed by their WRs. QBs throw it anywhere near those guys and they come down with it. Defense has been like Gophers of past few years: bend, don't break...lots of takeaways. They forced two redzone turnovers against TCU -- both on ridiculously stupid plays by TCU's Hill. But hey, they limited the big plays, kept the ball in front of them, and made TCU finish drives -- which they couldn't do. Lovin' the season and super happy for ISU fans! They're so excited to follow the rest of the games, make bowl plans, etc. I've been sharing how fun that was as a Gophers fan in 2014. Hopefully they keep it going and end up in an even better bowl than the Citrus!

It's impossible to make real comparisons this way, each situation is pretty darn unique.

The naysayers will say that Campbell took over a program that went 3-9, 2-10 and 3-9 the previous three seasons (2013-2015) and held serve in year one with a 3-9 record before taking off in year two, while Fleck took over a program that went 8-5, 6-7, and 9-4 the previous three seasons (2014-2016) and appears to be on track to regress from those years in year one (perhaps winning four or five games).

The hopeful or positives among us will say you can't compare teams from year to year, and that success (or failure) in a previous season does not guarantee or hint at success the next season, and that tearing the team down is the best way to build it back the right way.

I don't know which side of the fence I stand on at this point. I don't think I can accurately judge until after year three, year four if things are better but not championship-caliber in years two and three. I believe most seemingly great coaches have their breakthrough by year four. Alvarez at Wisconsin did it in year four (Rose Bowl), Hayden Fry at Iowa in year three (Rose Bowl), Jim Tressel at Ohio State in year two (Natty), Jim Harbaugh at Stanford in year four (Orange Bowl), Dantonio at Michigan State in year four (Capital One Bowl, shared conference title). There are exceptions to that, of course (Beamer comes to mind) but generally you know what you have by the fourth year.

It's not fun to lose, though, I know that much.

Very happy for ISU. The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

You can thank Gary Andersen for being an idiot about QB's. He ran off three QB's recruited by
Mike Riley. Kemp, Marcus McMaryion, who is starting at Fresno State, and Luke Del Rio, who was starting at Florida. You're welcome.

I'm in a similar situation, living in the Des Moines area and making it to more Cyclone games than I do Gopher games. I think the two coaches are both very talented, and I'm absolutely thrilled to have Fleck wearing the maroon and gold.

There certainly has been a different fan reaction to the first season for each, however. At Iowa State, the team has been roadkill for so long that 3-9 last year didn't stir much angst. There was very little outcry beyond the usual muted grumbling. At Minnesota, there has been a taste of recent success. The fall this year seems severe and sudden. The grumbling has not been muted.

I think the long-term outlook for both programs is robust. And I think there's a strong chance both Campbell and Fleck stay for many years. A program isn't a destination program until someone decides it is. And a destination program is only a destination program until someone decides it's not.

I'm blowing off Iowa State-Oklahoma State on November 11th to attend Minnesota-Nebraska. Am I a fool?

For me it's not the same comparison considering the track records before the new coaches arrived. It doesn't mean we can't turn it around next year though.

Iowa State two seasons pre-Matt Campbell: 5-21; 2-16 (conference) and a loss to Kansas.
Minnesota two seasons pre-PJ Fleck: 15-11; 7-10 (conference)

Any comparison, beyond geography, involving these programs does not make sense to me.

Not if you made some good money selling your ISU tickets.

I am going to this game as i bought a similar three pack deal for Iowa State as I did with the gophers. While the fan base is loyal at Iowa State you can still get tickets for this game for 30-40 bucks as many people did not envision this season transpiring as it has. Me and my friends are thinking Gameday Potential.

It depends on what you use him as an example of. How about how you can win with lower rated recruits?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, Fleck has already thrown in the towel on 2018--see other thread.

Really? Where in the other thread was this stated? I missed it. Unless you are referring to folks like me that have said if we have some struggles next year due to potentially a new QB, I'm not going to panic. And somehow you've equated this to throwing in the towel. If so, that's weak.

I suspect that Matt Campbell will be in high demand once the coaching carousel kicks in, I'm not entirely sure that ISU will be able to keep him long term.

I'm in a similar situation, living in the Des Moines area and making it to more Cyclone games than I do Gopher games. I think the two coaches are both very talented, and I'm absolutely thrilled to have Fleck wearing the maroon and gold.

There certainly has been a different fan reaction to the first season for each, however. At Iowa State, the team has been roadkill for so long that 3-9 last year didn't stir much angst. There was very little outcry beyond the usual muted grumbling. At Minnesota, there has been a taste of recent success. The fall this year seems severe and sudden. The grumbling has not been muted.

I think the long-term outlook for both programs is robust. And I think there's a strong chance both Campbell and Fleck stay for many years. A program isn't a destination program until someone decides it is. And a destination program is only a destination program until someone decides it's not.

I'm blowing off Iowa State-Oklahoma State on November 11th to attend Minnesota-Nebraska. Am I a fool?

Nebraska can't run much this year, but their passing attack is really improving and could be too much for the Gophers, UNLESS Croft improves game to game and can hit at least 50% - that plus our running game could make it close.

I suspect that Matt Campbell will be in high demand once the coaching carousel kicks in, I'm not entirely sure that ISU will be able to keep him long term.

My in-laws live in Iowa. My father-in-law has said there are stories and rumors that helmet schools are already sniffing around.

My in-laws live in Iowa. My father-in-law has said there are stories and rumors that helmet schools are already sniffing around.

Wouldn't be the first time. Chizik had a much worse record in his 2 yrs at Iowa St and still got the call from Auburn

Wouldn't be the first time. Chizik had a much worse record in his 2 yrs at Iowa St and still got the call from Auburn

That was one of the most inexplicable head coaching decisions in recent times wasn't it?

I see the big difference between PJ and Campbell is what happened when looked in the cupboard. Campbell had two 6ft. 6 inch receivers who could caught the ball. Then he recruited another 6 ft. 7 inch receiver. He brought in 2 JUCO defensive tackles the first year and 1 AllJUCO offensive linemen and another defensive tackle the second year. Apparently Campbell recognized his deficiencies and decided to get immediate help. He got rid of the malcontents much like PJ. Perhaps the big difference is in the assistant coaches. They adjusted their schemes to their players. Not sure PJ and staff do as much - especially on defense.

That was one of the most inexplicable head coaching decisions in recent times wasn't it?

Auburn won a National Championship under Gene Chizik, which made that a very good head coaching decision. They have not won a championship since and probably will not win another one before we are all dead.

MAC hires are always crapshoots, but I would not be surprised if Matt Campbell turns out to be a better hire than PJ Fleck. I was convinced that Brohm at Purdue was a better hire than Fleck the moment Purdue hired him.

The jury is out on whether Coyle made the right call by bringing in Fleck. I'll check back in four years or so.

Auburn won a National Championship under Gene Chizik, which made that a very good head coaching decision. They have not won a championship since and probably will not win another one before we are all dead.

MAC hires are always crapshoots, but I would not be surprised if Matt Campbell turns out to be a better hire than PJ Fleck. I was convinced that Brohm at Purdue was a better hire than Fleck the moment Purdue hired him.

The jury is out on whether Coyle made the right call by bringing in Fleck. I'll check back in four years or so.

It was wonderful how Gene Chizik was a great QB whisperer and made Cam Newton such a great player.
I don't know why he hasn't created more Cam Newton's. He'd win a lot more National Titles that way.

True, but question was what did you think of the hiring at the time it was made? Overall, winning the bidding war for Cam Newton was probably far more important than getting Chizik.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ers-records-reveal-details-cam-newton-scandal

A National Championship is a National Championship, and as HC he was in charge of the OC, DC, recruiting, keeping the SEC Booster payoffs pipeline open, whatever it took.

You can give Cam Newton, Gus M, or the big money Bubbas down there all the credit, but he was the HC and that is all that counts. By your standard Barry Switzer deserves no credit for the Oklahoma dynasty he ruled over for years.

Top Bottom