Brennan Armstrong reopens recruiting process

From reading on here recently (while logged out where I could still read), and from hearing Ryan Burns on KFAN about an hour ago, it sounds like there was "drama" around Brennan.

My experience is that drama isn't usually worth it.

So...is the staff still willing to take, or not? If the alleged lying issues are true have to think the staff would have walked away completely and would be vigorously pursuing other high school options.

What's the scoop? If he's still a scholarship possibility I don't buy the official line coming out of Burns and Gobie.

So...is the staff still willing to take, or not? If the alleged lying issues are true have to think the staff would have walked away completely and would be vigorously pursuing other high school options.

What's the scoop? If he's still a scholarship possibility I don't buy the official line coming out of Burns and Gobie.

What kind of lying issues? I had not heard that

Recruiting threads seem to get the most weird and unhinged compared to other threads.

During his press conference yesterday, he spent some time explaining how if you have elite people on your team, it will translate to elite performance on the field. He talked about players like Santoso, McCrary, Jordahl as people who have grown personally in the last year and have translated to better results. This may be part of that "clean program guy" that you are talking about.

They need to be squeaky clean coming in...?

Yup. A girlfriend that says she wants to scan the playing field before she commits to you for prom after her popularity climbed. You are hearing rumors about chicanery.

Not much we can do to stop her not going to prom with you. You better have a back up date.

Remember Snelson and Creamer?

If tOSU comes calling, I can't blame an Ohio kid for wanting to play for them over us.

Ed Warinner had coached at Ohio St. for the past several years. I'm guessing he keeps in contact with a lot of people and could easily find out whether there's interest. Fleck doesn't need to hire a PI firm.

I understand where you're coming from, but what is being circulated is very plausible, and if you question whether a person is honest at their core, it's tough to pin your legacy on them - particularly at QB. This isn't just a random LB or WR recruit we're talking about. The ability to put the right QB on the field in 2018-2020 will literally make or break Fleck's tenure here and possibly his overall legacy.
I think this right. I don't believe Fleck is trying to recruit choir boys, but if the recruit doesn't own up to the problem and lies about other stuff, who is going to trust him with the most important leadership role on the team. It's okay to have people on your team who make mistakes and try to fix them, but covering them up is not a leadership trait team mates or anyone else would respect.
Fleck may have not moved on completely, but I have not heard a single mod.on any site say they believe he is going to be here in
Jan. A bunch of other commits from all over have taken in season non-officials on their own dime. Our QB commit does not visit even though he is suspended 3 weeks? I don't thinks so.
Cal Stoll used to say you forgive errors of the head, but not errors of the heart.

What mistakes was he covering up? If I remember he did attend a camp here and a satellite camp in Ohio I think

So we have all talked ourselves into this being a good thing and something PJ wanted? OK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So we have all talked ourselves into this being a good thing and something PJ wanted? OK.

Nah, just trying to understand the situation and rationalize what's going on. It will suck if we lose out on a big QB talent, but if we end up with Vic instead, I won't lose any sleep over it.

Interesting twist.

If he's wants to go elsewhere or the staff is thinking of moving on or both, whichever is reality, it would be nice to get it done sooner rather than later. A lot of options will be taken off the table in a few weeks (early signing day). They've already lost months of time they could've spent working other options.

He looks like a hell of player. Hopefully they hug and make up and he still ends up here.

You are a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.
You want a winner, a program that recruits good, high level players that want to play for the U. You want a coach that can motivate his players, the boosters and the fan base. You want the program to be based upon a true college experience that teaches leadership and expects more out of their players than just showing up for the games.
So, you have a new coach that has committed to practice those principals and has a brief track record of doing just that. And you can’t stand him because he yells “row the boat”, or controls the message more than you think he should. Just step back and give him a chance and stop finding ways to criticize his style. Any coach the U could bring in that would stand any chance of bringing us up to a competitive program will have some sort of ego/style/salesmanship issues that are contrary to the typical Minnesota understated norms. Just enjoy the ride and lighten up.

It’s more than that. He’s simply full of crap.

Agreed. In addition, why would Armstrong say I'm still committed but looking around if PJ told him to take a hike. Wouldn't Armstrong just say "goodbye Gophers" if PJ told him you're out. Makes no sense that we wanted to part ways.

It's neither good nor bad IMO. What's important is we get good QB prospect

Jury is out. Not sure it can be deemed good or bad without full detail. I'm a believer in wanting kids that are 100% committed to becoming a Gopher and part of Fleck's culture/team. I lean toward it being a good thing.

Jury is out. Not sure it can be deemed good or bad without full detail. I'm a believer in wanting kids that are 100% committed to becoming a Gopher and part of Fleck's culture/team. I lean toward it being a good thing.

I'm with you Jr. I just find it funny that over a few pages most were able to rationalize it as a good thing. I'm no different, and it may be true, but it is a funny transition. All we were missing was a "we cooled on him" post.

With all the new terminology that PJ has brought, we cooled on him just doesn't fit anymore.

We need to come up with a new phrase to fit the new HYPRR CULTURE that is ELITE.

Right now all I've got is: We found his HOW lacking

With all the new terminology that PJ has brought, we cooled on him just doesn't fit anymore.

We need to come up with a new phrase to fit the new HYPRR CULTURE that is ELITE.

I think that's good.

Lacking HOW or "We found out, he just didn't have any HOW left".

HOW is definitely the best word.

I think that's good.

Lacking HOW or "We found out, he just didn't have any HOW left".

HOW is definitely the best word.

:clap:

We will have to accept that when the snake oil wears off and real coaches come recruiting we are going to lose some of the best ones. I know many of you are well lubricated by the snake oil, but no one is calling on you.

We will have to accept that when the snake oil wears off and real coaches come recruiting we are going to lose some of the best ones. I know many of you are well lubricated by the snake oil, but no one is calling on you.

He also has a decent class as of right now after adding Reigelsperger. Looking like we can see a boost in the D line in a year or two. He absolutely needs key recruits on the offense though.

What's the definition of a "real coach"?

Top Bottom