Brennan Armstrong reopens recruiting process

Isn't it always mutual?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That would kind of make sense, I really couldn't blame an Ohio kid for wanting to explore that option either if true.

Especially after seeing how JT Barrett got to play 9 years straight as starter there.
I remember growing up watching JT Barrett at QB.

I am glad to see fleck go after a juco QB.

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk

Fleck said he didn't believe in JUCOs- now it seems like one gets offered every week?

There's like 7 others. Sounds like it was mutual parting.

Out of all the things you've said this shows your spots as much as any. Mutual parting? Why the hell would PJ who doesn't want to build through JUCOs want to part with a kid that's one of his most encouraging commitments to date and offer a JUCO on the same day? Mutual parting- that's rich.

Out of all the things you've said this shows your spots as much as any. Mutual parting? Why the hell would PJ who doesn't want to build through JUCOs want to part with a kid that's one of his most encouraging commitments to date and offer a JUCO on the same day? Mutual parting- that's rich.

????????

Go subscribe to GI and read it.

????????

Go subscribe to GI and read it.

First of all- I apologize for reacting harshly to bad news- I find it incredulous that PJ would agree to the parting given his disdain for going the JUCO route on anything. Does the pay site provide any sense of the potential for reconciliation?

First of all- I apologize for reacting harshly to bad news- I find it incredulous that PJ would agree to the parting given his disdain for going the JUCO route on anything. Does the pay site provide any sense of the potential for reconciliation?

You blasted a poster for "showing his spots" and then 46 minutes later ask that same poster to share information with you?

I don't subscribe to the pay sites, but if they are saying it is "mutual" that has to be taken with a grain of salt. Their income relies on fans paying for the service and excitement sells way better than doom and gloom. It's certainly in their interest to say it was mutual and look who the Gophers are after now. I am certainly not saying that is the case and enjoy the free stuff both Ryan and Kyle choose to share.

One scenario that has gone through my head though is that PJ feels like he needs a QB that can play next year and decided to go after a JUCO (like they just offered) or a grad transfer. I think it's possible Brennan was made aware of this and wasn't as sold on Minnesota being someplace he would play as a Freshman anymore. Another (less likely IMHO) scenario could be that Brennan is aware of the Gophers supposedly being in a good position (fingers crossed) with QB's more highly regarded than himself in the 2019 class. I feel like that is a stretch though, because wherever he goes there will be a QB recruit coming in 2019. On the surface it definitely appears to be disappointing news in a season that has had enough disappointments.

I don't buy it's a mutual parting. This guy was being touted as the second coming for months. Then Ohio St comes calling and Fleck decides he wants a JUCO, and wants to pull the kid's card for a JUCO that may not even come here? Wouldn't it make more sense to take the JUCO and Armstrong?

Doesn't add up to me. I could be wrong, but Occam's razor tells me that the kid wants to play elsewhere, has informed the staff, thus result in all of the other QB offers.

The only way I could see this as being mutual is if the staff told the kid Bachmeier was coming.

The coaching staff can leak whatever it wants into the rumor mill of GI for PR purposes. I'm not sure it would be great for the perception of the program by fans or other recruits if your prized QB bails a few weeks before signing day, on top of the putrid performances on the field. The motive is definitely there to try any sort of damage control.

Because maybe Fleck likes Vic Viramontes better for the immediate future? Maybe Fleck also thinks he has a good chance at landing an even better recruit in 2019 like Bachmeier?

Viramontes/Morgan next year. Viramontes/Morgan/Bachmeier in 2019? Sounds pretty good if it works out.

Honestly John, if he is already downplaying 2019 and telling folks to wait for 2020, what would you think he is saying about 2018?

"By ’19, I will be able to fix the issues, but we will be young,” Fleck said Monday. “We will be older with some youth, developing depth, creating depth. Then when you hit ’20, that’s when you see a spike in, ‘Holy cow, they’re good. They’re deep, and they are becoming experienced."

Glad you could spell it out for galt. He needs help.

I don't buy it's a mutual parting. This guy was being touted as the second coming for months. Then Ohio St comes calling and Fleck decides he wants a JUCO, and wants to pull the kid's card for a JUCO that may not even come here? Wouldn't it make more sense to take the JUCO and Armstrong?

Doesn't add up to me. I could be wrong, but Occam's razor tells me that the kid wants to play elsewhere, has informed the staff, thus result in all of the other QB offers.

The only way I could see this as being mutual is if the staff told the kid Bachmeier was coming.

The coaching staff can leak whatever it wants into the rumor mill of GI for PR purposes. I'm not sure it would be great for the perception of the program by fans or other recruits if your prized QB bails a few weeks before signing day, on top of the putrid performances on the field. The motive is definitely there to try any sort of damage control.

Yup.

Pj does not build by juco. Just ask the flecksters.

Oops.

Because maybe Fleck likes Vic Viramontes better for the immediate future? Maybe Fleck also thinks he has a good chance at landing an even better recruit in 2019 like Bachmeier?

Viramontes/Morgan next year. Viramontes/Morgan/Bachmeier in 2019? Sounds pretty good if it works out.

There is absolutely no way this staff does not want Brennan Armstrong and want him badly. In this case, mutual means that Armstrong told the staff he was looking around and unsure of his commitment. The staff reacted by offering a JUCO as they were planning on Armstrong being the likely starter next year since he would have been here in the spring. This is a set back for the staff, but like in a game where you are turning the ball over, all that matters now is what you do from this point on. Offering a highly rated JUCO is a good first step.

How anyone could look at our QB situation and decommit is amazing. You are looking at immediate playing time and being "the guy" pretty much guaranteed.

It's entirely possible that the U chose to move on based on things that don't happen on the field.

This works!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Since several posters on here take PJ very literally... PJ did say something to the effect of "We only want kids who NEED to be here".
We're not recruiting kids to change their minds to come here. We're getting kids who NEED to be here.

So with that said, any recruit who backs of, our interest in them scales back automatically in a mutual fashion. The less they need us, the less we are interested, because we aren't going to coach kids who don't want to be here.

So of course it was and will always be mutual.

Well, it's a shot to the crotch, no doubt. No way we don't want Armstrong. Hopefully it's a Nolan Edmonds situation and we're able to haul him back in.

The pay guys are fed information from inside the department. I'm always skeptical that's 100% truth but Gobie and the like always seem feel it's legit and for all I know it could be but obviously there is motive to make the department look good, and the pay guys want access. Enough said.

Since several posters on here take PJ very literally... PJ did say something to the effect of "We only want kids who NEED to be here".
We're not recruiting kids to change their minds to come here. We're getting kids who NEED to be here.

So with that said, any recruit who backs of, our interest in them scales back automatically in a mutual fashion. The less they need us, the less we are interested, because we aren't going to coach kids who don't want to be here.

So of course it was and will always be mutual.

And if he does come back into the fold is it because he saw the light and "we" deemed he is coach-able for "us"? Would that be the spin?

I have to admit I have never heard of a coach who uses the strategy of turning down really good recruits in 2018 to get a really good recruit in 2019. I am not sure why they would even be mutually exclusive. I think we should do what all the other teams are doing and try to get a good QB recruit in 2018 and then another in 2019.

I shall go to twitter and let him know my displeasure

Well, it's a shot to the crotch, no doubt. No way we don't want Armstrong. Hopefully it's a Nolan Edmonds situation and we're able to haul him back in.

The pay guys are fed information from inside the department. I'm always skeptical that's 100% truth but Gobie and the like always seem feel it's legit and for all I know it could be but obviously there is motive to make the department look good, and the pay guys want access. Enough said.

Goblirsch is definitely a 'glass half full' guy when it comes to the news he gets. Go back and read his assessment of Demry Croft from when he committed.

I have to admit I have never heard of a coach who uses the strategy of turning down really good recruits in 2018 to get a really good recruit in 2019. I am not sure why they would even be mutually exclusive. I think we should do what all the other teams are doing and try to get a good QB recruit in 2018 and then another in 2019.

Viramontes is still a 2018 recruit. He was higher rated than Armstrong coming out of high school. If he commits he could start next year as a Junior with experience. How is that not getting a good QB recruit in 2018?

Viramontes is still a 2018 recruit. He was higher rated than Armstrong coming out of high school. If he commits he could start next year as a Junior with experience. How is that not getting a good QB recruit in 2018?

Sorry, I was referring to the part of your quote that made it sound like getting Bachmeier is part of the reason we would part ways with Armstrong. If I misread that than my bad.

How anyone could look at our QB situation and decommit is amazing. You are looking at immediate playing time and being "the guy" pretty much guaranteed.

True, but plenty of teams have lots of space to compete.

You see QB transfers of guys looking for playing time and, we're still not one of the teams that QBs look at, so just having a place to compete is clearly not enough.

Top Bottom