Fleck: “By 2019, I will be able to fix the issues, but we will be young."

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

The first College Football Playoff ranking will be unveiled Tuesday night. The certain absence of the Gophers, of course, won’t be trending or a talking point.

While Minnesota held the 25th and final spot for a few weeks on committee’s first ranking in 2014, they haven’t appeared since. That won’t change as coach P.J. Fleck’s first Gophers team has lost four of five games in Big Ten play to fall to 4-4 overall.

But when could it happen?

After the 17-10 loss to Iowa on Saturday, Fleck shared the pain of losing his first rivalry game while sitting in front of a blue wall in the bowels of Kinnick Stadium. A more-fitting backdrop would have been a TV green screen where he could have outlined his forecast like a meteorologist.

“I think there are a ton of signs when you look at this game and you look at the last few games, and you look at where we are headed and what we have, the future is incredibly bright,” Fleck said.

“By ’19, I will be able to fix the issues, but we will be young,” Fleck said Monday. “We will be older with some youth, developing depth, creating depth. Then when you hit ’20, that’s when you see a spike in, ‘Holy cow, they’re good. They’re deep, and they are becoming experienced. Wow.’ Then ’21, it’s, ‘Oh my gosh.’ Then you start reloading instead of rebuilding.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/10/3...ege-football-playoff-fleck-says-give-it-time/

Go Gophers!!

Maybe they can knock a few bucks off the price until 2019 too.

per Greder:

The first College Football Playoff ranking will be unveiled Tuesday night. The certain absence of the Gophers, of course, won’t be trending or a talking point.

While Minnesota held the 25th and final spot for a few weeks on committee’s first ranking in 2014, they haven’t appeared since. That won’t change as coach P.J. Fleck’s first Gophers team has lost four of five games in Big Ten play to fall to 4-4 overall.

But when could it happen?

After the 17-10 loss to Iowa on Saturday, Fleck shared the pain of losing his first rivalry game while sitting in front of a blue wall in the bowels of Kinnick Stadium. A more-fitting backdrop would have been a TV green screen where he could have outlined his forecast like a meteorologist.

“I think there are a ton of signs when you look at this game and you look at the last few games, and you look at where we are headed and what we have, the future is incredibly bright,” Fleck said.

“By ’19, I will be able to fix the issues, but we will be young,” Fleck said Monday. “We will be older with some youth, developing depth, creating depth. Then when you hit ’20, that’s when you see a spike in, ‘Holy cow, they’re good. They’re deep, and they are becoming experienced. Wow.’ Then ’21, it’s, ‘Oh my gosh.’ Then you start reloading instead of rebuilding.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/10/3...ege-football-playoff-fleck-says-give-it-time/

Go Gophers!!

Huh?? Why did it take less than 20 games down in Bugtussle aka Ames, IA? Their new stadium? Facilities? Maybe the 365 day per year atmosphere?

This board is reminding me of b-ball 4 years ago. What a toxic place to be. See you in 3 years, enjoy the journey, if you like bitching you’ll have ample opportunity.

Great quotes by the coach. I love the confidence in the future, and the passive realism of the present.

“By ’19, I will be able to fix the issues, but we will be young,” Fleck said Monday. “We will be older with some youth, developing depth, creating depth. Then when you hit ’20, that’s when you see a spike in, ‘Holy cow, they’re good. They’re deep, and they are becoming experienced. Wow.’

This is a joke, right?
If not then PJ is the joke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If they reduce scholarship seating zones, and had more realistic pricing for where people are sitting they would sell a few more tickets. The scholarship seating plan that Teague and his crew concocted is why there are now so many empty seats at TCF bank stadium. Teague way over-estimated the value of the game day experience the Gophers have and people's willingness to shell out that large ticket tax. Not saying they should eliminate the tax all together but they should reduce it to levels people will actually pay. You get people used to paying the tax, win a few games, especially trophy games and then people will doll out the extra money. They killed Men's Hockey attendance at Marriuci with Big 10 conference and scholarship seating fees also.

“By ’19, I will be able to fix the issues, but we will be young,” Fleck said Monday. “We will be older with some youth, developing depth, creating depth. Then when you hit ’20, that’s when you see a spike in, ‘Holy cow, they’re good. They’re deep, and they are becoming experienced. Wow.’

This is a joke, right?

Honestly, why do you post incessantly? Dam near 10k posts in a very short time. What's up in your life?

This is a joke, right?

I think it will be okay.
Seems like you are in denial about this being a Big Ten Championship team.

You might find this grieving website helpful.

https://grief.com/the-five-stages-of-grief/

I think you'll be able to move from denial to anger soon.
:)

I think it will be okay.
Seems like you are in denial about this being a Big Ten Championship team.

You might find this grieving website helpful.

https://grief.com/the-five-stages-of-grief/

I think you'll be able to move from denial to anger soon.
:)

Hopefully I'll be through that by 2020 - when we are finally not young and good. Just saying that makes me more pumped up than the Sophomores and Juniors on this team likely are now.

Very short time?

Yes. You have some good stuff, but can you limit your posting a bit? Some of like to read various opinions without seeing the same posters post after post.

Just wish he hadn't used the noun 'I". Won't his coaches and players be involved in the resurrection?

Yes. You have some good stuff, but can you limit your posting a bit? Some of like to read various opinions without seeing the same posters post after post.

Try the ignore feature Les. Thanks.

This board is reminding me of b-ball 4 years ago. What a toxic place to be. See you in 3 years, enjoy the journey, if you like bitching you’ll have ample opportunity.

Agreed - this board is completely infested with a bunch of badger/hawkeye trolls and bitchy/grumpy old men!

I honestly thought this post was fake news, because no head coach would be working so hard to reduce expectations for years going forward. But then I clicked on the link, and there is nothing fake about it. But given the year-zero comments, perhaps I shouldn't have been surprised. I also think Fleck hurts himself by making comments like these. IMO, Fleck is doing many things right in year one, but his self-serving language is not one of them.

I think his statement is fair in regards to the offense. We simply don't have the talent at QB or WR, and our O-line isn't good enough to make up for it in the running game. Developing WR seems to be the strength of the staff, so hopefully that gets better quickly. Until we get an average Big Ten QB, though, we aren't going to beat many above average Big Ten teams.

Defensively, I'd be disappointed if we take any significant steps back. LB should be really solid going forward, D-end can't really get worse, D-backs should get better w/ Winfield, Handy-Holly and the RS guys. D tackle will be a bit thin w/out Richardson but hopefully the Bama transfer can fill in. We seem to be recruiting a bit better on D-line at least.

Agreed - this board is completely infested with a bunch of badger/hawkeye trolls and bitchy/grumpy old men!

Agreed. This board has become damn near unreadable and depressing. I used to enjoy it. The URL should be changed go GopherTroll.com.

So, when Phillip's voice quivered as he told the players, "You didn't choose me, I chose you," what he was really thinking was, "I can't wait to run each and every one of you out of here to get my guys in."

Agreed. This board has become damn near unreadable and depressing. I used to enjoy it. The URL should be changed go GopherTroll.com.

Because no relatively "normal" gopher fan could possibly be pissed off about PJF's 'all talk and no results' platform and voice their displeasure? Got it! If a MB's opines depress you, perhaps you should talk to someone.

I have a hunch that losing games does that to a board. Would have been the same way if Kill was coaching us to a 4 win season. Winning solves everything, except global warming.

So, when Phillip's voice quivered as he told the players, "You didn't choose me, I chose you," what he was really thinking was, "I can't wait to run each and every one of you out of here to get my guys in."

You were there when he told that to his players?

Seriously, someone should ask CC45, TB41, KM21, TJ6, etc. how they feel about this. At least if AWjr gets his medical RS he will be able to enjoy a year of being relevant.

My guess, PJ is an under promise and over deliver kind of guy. Leaves me a bit more optimistic. He put his plan out there, I think this is called accountability!

I will try to use his words from here on out to assess the Gopher football program!

Top Bottom