Gopher starting QB and Total QBR

Here is Hollinsanity's breakdown in visual scatter plot...

fbstqbr.JPG

Here is Hollinsanity's breakdown in visual scatter plot...

View attachment 5173

Thanks for putting that together. The higher up the y-axis, the better the QB play. And ".500" equates to the 60th best team in the country for a given year.

So from 2007 - 2017 we have ranged from slightly above average to putrid. However, the rankings in the 50's are deceiving IMO, as the 120ish FBS programs include directional schools, MAC schools, etc.

If we were to run the same analysis on the 65 Power 5 schools I bet we end up ranked in the 50's most years. Not great.

Rank amongst Power 5 teams is actually pretty similar to overall FBS.

Year - Rank out of 65 Power 5 Teams
2004 - 27
2005 - 9
2006 - 15
2007 - 31
2008 - 24
2009 - 62
2010 - 27
2011 - 36
2012 - 44
2013 - 27
2014 - 31
2015 - 44
2016 - 49
2017 - 64

power5tqbr.JPG

Without starting up a firestorm of Kill-related posts, the only Power 5 team worse than Gophers in Total QBR in 2017? Rutgers.

Without starting up a firestorm of Kill-related posts, the only Power 5 team worse than Gophers in Total QBR in 2017? Rutgers.

In fairness to Kill, it is Rutgers so he probably doesn't have much to work with talent wise but he hasn't exactly lit the world on fire with his offensive coordinator abilities since taking over there. Seemed like a really odd hire at the time and still does today because when I think Jerry Kill, dynamic and innovative offensive football is not something that comes to mind.

Asad Kaliq was by far the best QB in the Gopher era going back to the Mason days, and Cupito put up nice numbers as well, but Asad had a cannon of an arm, could run and was tough. He did get injured at times and was less effective, but we never knew that at the time.

Weber, had he played in the Mason system that he was recruited to would have had a much better career, with bigger overall numbers with fewer attempts.

Leidner will look better as the years go on, but those Wisconsin games, with the awful late meltdowns at Camp Randall define him for me. Chris S. should have been give a shot.

I just don't know. Accuracy is there ... and then not. Granted everyone has a bit of that but I just can't say much about that.

The rest, yeah I just don't have a lot of faith Croft can make the leap to being serviceable. At the same time nothing would make me happier to be proven wrong and have him turn into the next Joe Young.

Agree with your sentiment and my take on a diagnosis is:

When he's thinking he sucks; when relaxed, he's the Croft that torched Michigan State in the 4th Quarter.

This can be coached. The Gist: Think of yoga relaxation + Pavlov dogs trigger concepts.

The player has a predetermined time to think (huddle, etc) then turns off the brain (executive function) and performs.

Baseball is the best place to look for the actual thoughts behind this, because it is far more prevalent, but the same techniques can be used in Football.

HA Dorfman and Karl Keuhl were experts in the field. This includes actively "getting in the zone." Former Twins players credit the pair for both their World Series Championships. Coincidentally, they also hooked up with the A's in the late 80s and the Marlins, literally starting in 97 then Dorfman was bought back in 2003. The **** works.....

I never cared about Western Michigan enough to watch any old games after Fleck was hired here, but when I heard all the hype in spring practice and August about practice pace, no huddle and pace, I assumed we had Chip Kelly type rapid tempo offense in the works. Had they beaten Wisconsin in the Cotton Bowl I might have re-watched the whole thing, but instead I just blew through the DVR version and missed all the nuances.

It turned out I was completely wrong, as there is no huddle, but the team gets to the line then waits for most of the play clock to get the read and call from the sidelines. I have been impressed by the current staff in that they were able to get the Offense up to speed enough to execute this system with very few pre-snap penalties. This is not the type of offense I was expecting based upon the cues I was hearing from Fleck when talking about practice speed, ect.

I do think it is stressful for a QB that lacks confidence or needs some sort of rhythm to flourish quickly in this system. An Oregon type Chip Kelly system might work better for a "green" QB with raw, pure physical skills. I can see why Green might have been a good fit for the old Oregon system, but might look bad in practice trying to run the PJ/ Kirk C stuff we have now.

I can see how a untested, nervous QB like Croft fared better being inserted into a game like the MSU game late, down by a lot, where the tempo is different and the expectations are different.

Asad Kaliq was by far the best QB in the Gopher era going back to the Mason days, and Cupito put up nice numbers as well, but Asad had a cannon of an arm, could run and was tough. He did get injured at times and was less effective, but we never knew that at the time.

Weber, had he played in the Mason system that he was recruited to would have had a much better career, with bigger overall numbers with fewer attempts.

Leidner will look better as the years go on, but those Wisconsin games, with the awful late meltdowns at Camp Randall define him for me. Chris S. should have been give a shot.

Pretty spot on. Asad was definitely one of the more well rounded QBs we have had here. I also think you are right on Weber. He never really liked running the ball, he could do it ok but it wasn't something he enjoyed. He was a perfect fit for Mason't system, and think he would have done well under Horton but he did not do well with Fisch. With Weber we will never really know how good he could have been had he been able to stay in one system for his entire career instead of getting jerked around. Will never forget how Fisch came in and tried to change his throwing motion which really set him back.

Leidner will look a little better over time (especially in light of what we are seeing now) but in the end he will be more of an afterthought in the grand scheme of Gopher QBs.

If you exclude the MSU game where Croft pretty much faced prevent defense, Croft is 19/55 (34.5%) for 260 yards, 1 TD and 3 INT in 3 games.

And I don't want to blame Demry too much - he's doing his best. Just don't understand how this is our best QB and how our play calling has been so bad.

If you exclude the MSU game where Croft pretty much faced prevent defense, Croft is 19/55 (34.5%) for 260 yards, 1 TD and 3 INT in 3 games.

And I don't want to blame Demry too much - he's doing his best. Just don't understand how this is our best QB and how our play calling has been so bad.

Peej wants to get Croft experience for next year and that’s a bunch of bs to me. He’s not going to burn the freshman’s redshirt, nor should he. But why not give Rhoda some series? Because PJ sees giving Croft as much experience as possible for next year in case he needs him. I argue there is no chance Croft plays next year. I argue to give Rhoda some opportunities, he’s a better passer, he’s better at reading defenses, and he’s not afraid to throw the ball. Oh, and he’s better at avoiding sacks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a reason the gophers had mediocre quarterback play the last two years and never even hinted at changing quarterbacks...and the reason isn’t because the backups were good.

There is a reason the gophers had mediocre quarterback play the last two years and never even hinted at changing quarterbacks...and the reason isn’t because the backups were good.
Leidner was a Heisman candidate compared to this year

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom