Pat Reusse: Gophers failed to take hint from 2016 team: When schedule is easy, win

So pretty clear that Reusse is going to name PJ Fleck as one of the finalist for the "Turkey of the Year" award in the paper. Which fine suit do we thing Fleck will wear to his press conference that week and will he comment on being invited to the "Turkey of the year" award banquet. Fleck can take solace in the fact that Reusse name Pittino as a finalist and has had him fired a few times already. I'm looking forward to the Turkey trophy on his nice shoes the last game.

Nope. At least now he's said that he won't take the chance just in case Fleck beats the Sconnies "two days later".

Of course with how easily it seems of him to troll Gopher Fans he's gotta at least make P.J. a semi-finalist. Though winning the next 2-3 games would even take that option away.

Which would drive Reusse crazy but would also be crazy good.

Which college football head coach has the corniest sayings?

Last season was probably the Gophers best chance of going to the Rose Bowl in a long time. Claeys led them to a 9-4 season. In 3 of 4 games, they were ahead at the half and we outcoached in the 2nd half. That was the best Claeys was ever going to do. So, maybe he gets the gophers 6 or 7 wins this season, next season and for the next 5 years 6-8 wins. Is that considered success?
I'd rather take a few lumps now with a chance to be exceptional down the road. But that's just me.

You have no idea that this was the best Claeys was going to do! Interesting how all the Fleck folks preach we must be patient with a first year BIG coach , but when it comes to Claeys there was zero patience and no opportunity to let Claeys grow into the job.

You have no idea that this was the best Claeys was going to do! Interesting how all the Fleck folks preach we must be patient with a first year BIG coach , but when it comes to Claeys there was zero patience and no opportunity to let Claeys grow into the job.

Almost like Fleck gives reason for people to be hopeful for the future.

It really is interesting how 9-4 against a weak schedule by last year's first-year head coach was and is derided as a joke by many, and yet a probable 4-8/5-7 record against a weak schedule by this year's first-year head coach is rationalized and defended to death.

People are ignoring the fact that we aren't playing two of the better Big Ten teams in recent memory and yet, barring some minor miracle, won't even approach .500 in the conference.

Agreed, good post. Attendance is comparable as well.

It really is interesting how 9-4 against a weak schedule by last year's first-year head coach was and is derided as a joke by many, and yet a probable 4-8/5-7 record against a weak schedule by this year's first-year head coach is rationalized and defended to death.

Yup that 1st year head coach who was a head coach here for half of the prior seasons games and was an assistant here for 4.5 years before that. The majority of the coaching staff was in their 6th year here. It's exactly the same as this year.

Not all people are preaching patience with Fleck. You have some throwing in the towel on him after 8 games as P5 coach. Not surprising you choose to ignore that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Almost like Fleck gives reason for people to be hopeful for the future.

Mr. Boy, I am hopeful for the future! Hope Fleck takes us to the promised land! That being said, Claeys got screwed and I would love to see him get a chance to continue a career he certainly loved.

Not all people are preaching patience with Fleck. You have some throwing in the towel on him after 8 games as P5 coach. Not surprising you choose to ignore that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't say ALL, I said the Flecksters!

Mr. Boy, I am hopeful for the future! Hope Fleck takes us to the promised land! That being said, Claeys got screwed and I would love to see him get a chance to continue a career he certainly loved.

He got screwed when he signed the contract he signed the contract he signed. He was doomed from the start.

He got screwed when he signed the contract he signed the contract he signed. He was doomed from the start.

He didn't get screwed. That was by far the most lucrative deal he was going to get from anywhere.

Top Bottom