All Things P.J. Fleck Rumor Mill Thread - Listed as Candidate for Other Jobs

per Shooter:

There’s already buzz that Gophers football coach P.J. Fleck is on Notre Dame’s radar should the Irish falter this year under Brian Kelly, who is to begin his 11th season in South Bend.

Go Gophers!!

per Shooter:

There’s already buzz that Gophers football coach P.J. Fleck is on Notre Dame’s radar should the Irish falter this year under Brian Kelly, who is to begin his 11th season in South Bend.

Go Gophers!!
I know I’d rather live in Minneapolis than South Bend, Indiana. Hopefully Fleck feels the same.

per Shooter:

Go Gophers!!

There is? Has anyone else heard that?

Notre Dame is about the only school that really concerns me when it comes to Fleck leaving. Fleck’s message is quasi-religious in its tone, so it’s not much of a stretch to see him at a Catholic school. Plus, with their level of alumni and benefactors, they can offer PJ just about anything from a contract perspective, and any sort of buyout to the U isn’t going to stop them.

As much as I don’t care for ND and “the killer” Kelly, I am rooting for them to be just good enough to keep him around for a while longer and get PJ good and entrenched here.

zero percent notre dame is going to be cool with the "row the boat" lifestyle and the branding. I don't see them as a fit at all

zero percent notre dame is going to be cool with the "row the boat" lifestyle and the branding. I don't see them as a fit at all
Why some of the players went to Notre Dame as opposed to here is my guess.

Fleck has been here less than a handful of years and he's already starting to border on deity status. Why go anywhere? Seems on track to possibly do what hasn't been done here in over half a century. LEGEND.

I don't believe he is going anywhere. He might in 5 years once he feels he has done everything he can here.

guarantee you, notre dame will put up with anything if the coach is winning. fleck would dominate at notre dame.

Fleck has been here less than a handful of years and he's already starting to border on deity status. Why go anywhere? Seems on track to possibly do what hasn't been done here in over half a century. LEGEND.

If Notre Dame came calling it would certainly be interesting but I do think there is a great chance he would still stay put. He has gone on record saying he wants to be in a state with one Power 5 school in it and that he loves the Big Ten, two things he would have to give up if he were to go to South Bend.

But the main reason I just don't see him leaving is because with a few more seasons on par with or similar to last year he will be able to become a lifetime fixture here. To lay down the kind of legacy that guys like Alvarez and Fry did. That is something Fleck has also gone on record as saying is very important to him.

If Notre Dame came calling it would certainly be interesting but I do think there is a great chance he would still stay put. He has gone on record saying he wants to be in a state with one Power 5 school in it and that he loves the Big Ten, two things he would have to give up if he were to go to South Bend.

But the main reason I just don't see him leaving is because with a few more seasons on par with or similar to last year he will be able to become a lifetime fixture here. To lay down the kind of legacy that guys like Alvarez and Fry did. That is something Fleck has also gone on record as saying is very important to him.
He will need a few season better than last year, like winning the conference a few times and winning Rose Bowls. He can do it. The real question is does he have a dream job ?

per Shooter:

Go Gophers!!
Bah hum bug

but the names alvarez and fry are regional heroes who brought their teams to respectability, they didn't win national titles.

rockne, parseghian, holz are football names from coast to coast and they won national championships.

i contend that it is far easier to become a legend at notre dame than it is minnesota.

it depends what kind of person fleck is. in my opinion he is an extremely motivated man. just think about what that kind of person could do at notre dame (in reality or in his dreams).

he could flame out, but he could be the next saban. that would be a hard opportunity to turn down.

im not saying i want him to go to notre dame. i just think it is wishful thinking to say that the things that make minnesota unique wouldnt pale in comparison to an easier road to national championships and yearly top ten pre-season rankings and unlimited money and the pick of the blue chips.

you are not going to get a Casey O'Brien at Notre Dame they had their "Rudy" and that will never happen again there
Minnesota is a great place to do everything a coach could want if we open up the pocket books and place an importance on a winning program.

This again?! Fleck isn’t going anywhere, he has said as much this is really a non issue! Fleck can build Minnesota into a NC caliber team. If you build it, the recruits will come regardless

Can't lose another coach to Notre Dame in my lifetime. The good lord wouldn't let that happen.

This again?! Fleck isn’t going anywhere, he has said as much this is really a non issue! Fleck can build Minnesota into a NC caliber team. If you build it, the recruits will come regardless

Of course he says that. No halfway intelligent coach is going to publicly say “yeah, it’s fine here, but I’ll bolt if something better comes up.” He says good things about the job, the city, and the state in part because it’s in his best interest to say them (although I don’t think he’s necessarily lying when he says most of it; it seems he does like it here).

The only things we can do are support him and the program, pay him, enjoy his successes here for as long as they last, and stop worrying about him leaving. Hopefully he’ll love it here enough to stay.

but the names alvarez and fry are regional heroes who brought their teams to respectability, they didn't win national titles.

rockne, parseghian, holz are football names from coast to coast and they won national championships.

i contend that it is far easier to become a legend at notre dame than it is minnesota.

it depends what kind of person fleck is. in my opinion he is an extremely motivated man. just think about what that kind of person could do at notre dame (in reality or in his dreams).

he could flame out, but he could be the next saban. that would be a hard opportunity to turn down.

im not saying i want him to go to notre dame. i just think it is wishful thinking to say that the things that make minnesota unique wouldnt pale in comparison to an easier road to national championships and yearly top ten pre-season rankings and unlimited money and the pick of the blue chips.

Guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one. Minnesota can offer something that very few places in the country can offer and I think Fleck can see it. With the right coach this program can be a contender and that right coach can essentially earn a lifetime contract if they pull it off. At a time when job security in coaching is at an all-time low that means something to some people.

Fleck has everything he needs here to compete. I honestly believe it is going to be a lot harder than many fans believe for another school to convince him to leave no matter what their name is.

you are not going to get a Casey O'Brien at Notre Dame they had their "Rudy" and that will never happen again there
Minnesota is a great place to do everything a coach could want if we open up the pocket books and place an importance on a winning program.
You're forgetting what time you're living in. The internet is full of stories applauding people for the most menial of accomplishments.

This is a really stupid article considering Notre Dame is coming off of 3 straight top 15 finishes and 4 in the past 5 years.
They are 33-7 the last 3 years.
They were in the playoff 2 years ago.

If Brian Kelly didn’t get fired after 2016s 4-8 when the death of the manager was just a few years earlier and ruminating combined with the scandal that made them vacate two seasons worth of games it means he isn’t even close to the hot seat.

Notre Dame has pretty much got it rolling right now and the scandals are all 5-10 years old. The only way they have an opening is some sort of a 2-10 or worse campaign or another scandal.

Of course he says that. No halfway intelligent coach is going to publicly say “yeah, it’s fine here, but I’ll bolt if something better comes up.” He says good things about the job, the city, and the state in part because it’s in his best interest to say them (although I don’t think he’s necessarily lying when he says most of it; it seems he does like it here).

The only things we can do are support him and the program, pay him, enjoy his successes here for as long as they last, and stop worrying about him leaving. Hopefully he’ll love it here enough to stay.

I think keeping Coyle is a big part of that package that he likes here. He has said as much. I agree with what you are saying about not worrying but I would worry a bit if Coyle took a job elsewhere.

Guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one. Minnesota can offer something that very few places in the country can offer and I think Fleck can see it. With the right coach this program can be a contender and that right coach can essentially earn a lifetime contract if they pull it off. At a time when job security in coaching is at an all-time low that means something to some people.

Fleck has everything he needs here to compete. I honestly believe it is going to be a lot harder than many fans believe for another school to convince him to leave no matter what their name is.

I would add an ego thing as well. If he builds an elite program here it will be all, all on him. He will have done it, not "it was handed to him when he got the job here".

As far as trust factor in my book:

"Jottings" > "A bunch of Little Birdies"

Fleck will build his Big Ten Powerhouse and NC contender right here.

I cannot fathom P.J. Fleck leaving Minnesota. On the other hand, I would want all boosters to step up and keep this state treasure right here if a threat came around. I would personally put out the coffee can to raise funds.

Anything can happen, but I do see the foundations for something special here:
  • Administration support for football on a level that I cant recall in my lifetime. Gabel and Coyle are true advocates and supporters.
  • Board of Regents support for football as a result is different. Even when PJ's extension was inked, one of the regents said something to the effect of: "we should pay Fleck like a top tier coach, and this extension feels more modest than that, how are you going to keep him around?"
  • He's pulling multiple 4 star commits from out of state. Recruiting was always going to be the biggest challenge to building a contender at Minnesota because of our lack of strong in-state talent. But PJ is realizing that he can do it here.
  • A fanbase without insane expectations today. The fact that Irish fans are getting restless with Kelly when he's taken them to the CFP and has them at 33-7 over the past 3 years is an indication.
  • A program that he can truly mold in his image. He can be our Hayden Fry or Barry Alvarez. Hell, I could see 30 years from now games being played at "Fleck Field at TCF Bank Stadium". Don't think that's happening elsewhere.

Call me cautiously optimistic.

I honestly think PJ Fleck stays here for the rest of his career. I think he retires the most successful Gopher Football coach of all time, after bringing the Gophers back to the National level. I could even see him pulling a Barry Alvarez and retiring from being the Head Coach and becoming the AD, to have even more impact on the University and State.

I hope PJ stays here for decades but I'm convinced he will end up at Notre Dame eventually. The RTB culture is the ideal fit for a private Catholic school and he could recruit like crazy to ND. They might not allow oars on the gold helmet but I don't see what else about it would be considered a deal breaker. I hope like heck that I'm wrong about all of this, of course. I still remember where I was when I heard Holtz took the ND job.

I hope PJ stays here for decades but I'm convinced he will end up at Notre Dame eventually. The RTB culture is the ideal fit for a private Catholic school and he could recruit like crazy to ND. They might not allow oars on the gold helmet but I don't see what else about it would be considered a deal breaker. I hope like heck that I'm wrong about all of this, of course. I still remember where I was when I heard Holtz took the ND job.
You gotta really want the ND job, though. Very tough fanbase, very demanding and also refuse to let go of the difficult, independent schedule. I thought I had read that they were convinced they could get Urban Meyer, but he ended up going to Ohio St. Easier to win there.

Top Bottom