All Things P.J. Fleck Rumor Mill Thread - Listed as Candidate for Other Jobs

Well last year Minnesota made $124.8 in revenue, 24th in the country while Michigan made $195.7 million so on paper, Michigan can offer 55% more than whatever we can offer.

Ranked fourth in revenue but second in expenses.

If only universities had revenue sources outside of their athletic departments.

The $124 million already includes the direct and indirect institutional support.

So you think the U would subsidize the athletic department more than they already do to help give the football coach a pay raise?

The $124 million already includes the direct and indirect institutional support.

So you think the U would subsidize the athletic department more than they already do to help give the football coach a pay raise?

Seems like even if the total football salary pool were $10M ... that is far less than $124M ?

We have no idea how those numbers are cooked up. Keep in mind too that some (a lot?) of the expenses could be things like paying for buildings/renovations.

Increased fan interest means increased revenue. If Fleck with a winning program can pull in an additional 10,000 fans per game, at an average ticket price of $50 that comes to an additional $3.5 million in revenue. Coyle should increase the salary now versus waiting until the end of the season.

Increased fan interest means increased revenue. If Fleck with a winning program can pull in an additional 10,000 fans per game, at an average ticket price of $50 that comes to an additional $3.5 million in revenue. Coyle should increase the salary now versus waiting until the end of the season.

Fleck likely wants to focus on coaching as opposed to negotiating a new contract, something likely gets worked out between the end of the regular season and the bowl game.

Fleck likely wants to focus on coaching as opposed to negotiating a new contract, something likely gets worked out between the end of the regular season and the bowl game.

I really doubt he'd be doing the negotiating, he must have reps that'd do that for him. I'm hoping an announcement gets made during the bye week.

Thanks for this, it is far more detailed than anything I've seen.

Nonetheless, it brings up two points:

1) according to this document, Fleck's total compensation paid for by the University in FY18 was $4.84M. That seems way higher than what has been discussed on GH??

The document says:
"Input compensation, bonuses and benefits paid to all coaches reportable on the university or related entities W-2 and 1099forms inclusive of:Gross wages and bonuses. Benefits including allowances, speaking fees, retirement,stipends, memberships, media income, tuition reimbursement and earned deferred compensation, including those funded by the state."

2) how can there be $3.48M of "Other Operating Expenses" that are "Expenses Not Related to Specific Teams"?? Looks like I potentially just found a source of dollars that we can throw at Fleck?? It's on page 62.

Thanks for this, it is far more detailed than anything I've seen.

Nonetheless, it brings up two points:

1) according to this document, Fleck's total compensation paid for by the University in FY18 was $4.84M. That seems way higher than what has been discussed on GH??

The document says:
"Input compensation, bonuses and benefits paid to all coaches reportable on the university or related entities W-2 and 1099forms inclusive of:Gross wages and bonuses. Benefits including allowances, speaking fees, retirement,stipends, memberships, media income, tuition reimbursement and earned deferred compensation, including those funded by the state."

2) how can there be $3.48M of "Other Operating Expenses" that are "Expenses Not Related to Specific Teams"?? Looks like I potentially just found a source of dollars that we can throw at Fleck?? It's on page 62.

Reading through the document, those funds are likely not something that can just be grabbed. Generally those funds have a purpose and/or are already spoken for.

Reading through the document, those funds are likely not something that can just be grabbed. Generally those funds have a purpose and/or are already spoken for.

You're probably correct ... but given the sheer detail and number of other expense categories and their descriptions .... I'm having a difficult time fathoming what the athletic dept spend three and a half million dollars on, that couldn't be tied to any sport. The two suggestions were for non-team travel (like going to the Big Ten media days) and team banquets, which there are already hefty bills for most of the teams. No effin way an end of the year full athletic dept "holiday party" or something like that cost $3.5M.

I'm just morbidly curious. It couldn't be scholarship/aid, salaries/benefits (coach and support), meals, travel, gameday operations, facilities, equipment, indirect overhead (security, IT, etc.) ... all those things are already accounted for.

If PJ does move on from the U it probably will be about dollars and support.

Not sure how he would fit in Michigan and as someone pointed out they aren’t putting oars on the helmet.

However, they probably can pay better and certainly have better support. The U can’t sell out a home stadium half the size of a place like Michigan.

Fleck might have interest in a place where he would be the only game in town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fleck is not leaving anytime soon. This is a great job and his success will be rewarded here. Its not always about money from a coaching contract.

the only real question here - and one no one can answer - is this: What does Fleck want?

Without knowing that, it's impossible to speculate about what he might do.

is Fleck's ultimate goal to play for a national Championship? To win Conference titles? to build a successful program? To make as much money as possible? To live someplace where he and his family are happy? does he think about coaching in the NFL? TV work?

Depending on what Fleck wants, in some scenarios, MN may be just as good or better than Michigan or any other job. In other scenarios, Michigan may be a better avenue for Fleck to achieve his goals.

My personal feeling is that the days of a Paterno or Woody Hayes - the days when a coach would stay at a program for 25-30 years - are over. The pressure is too high and the money is too good these days. I think it will be very rare indeed to see any major-conf D1 coach stay at the same job for more than 10 years at best. If you've got a good coach, enjoy him while you have him. if you've got a bad coach, he'll be gone soon enough.

We have a Pitino rumor mill thread on the hoops board, I have a feeling we'll see a lot of "Fleck is a candidate at XYZ" program, even in spite of our challenging season.

Go Gophers!!

ENVEY - The Gophers have made steady progress with your HC, Staff and players and I can really respect that and other teams do also.

Sadly if your head coach and staff has a great season & backs it up next year showing how well he has transformed your team in 3 year with consistency , I would expect that other teams will be after him. I hope he has the loyalty and loves Minnesota and his players enough so as not to be inticed by money or what he considers a step up. As you know head coaches come and go and a large paycheck has to be thought about for he and is family. On another note you also know that a head coach at one school doesn't mean he can recreate that at anther school.

If he is not enticed to leave I can see him building the Gophers into a power and I hope that will be his mindset!

Last edited:

If he is not enticed to leave I can see him building the Gophers into a power and I hope that will be his mindset![/B][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Wouldnt that be a refreshing change for once?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

TALON - "If he is not enticed to leave I can see him building the Gophers into a power and I hope that will be his mindset"

![/B][/SIZE]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

TALON -It would be strang and excetional.

Does anyone know if MI was also on that short list of dream jobs he was willing to consider to leave WMU?

Does anyone know if MI was also on that short list of dream jobs he was willing to consider to leave WMU?

I think if your HC and staff do a good job this year and can again prove themselves next year, others will be looking hard.

I know I REALY underestimated the Gophers this year because of you 2 prior years and Really overestimated GSU based on last years comeback.

The GOPHERS are proving their progress.

Last edited:

This is not a problem for PJ. It’s a problem for the U of M. The perception out there is we won’t do what it takes to keep a high level coach, because we never have. It’s time for the U to step up. When they do, this problem goes away.

This is not a problem for PJ. It’s a problem for the U of M. The perception out there is we won’t do what it takes to keep a high level coach, because we never have. It’s time for the U to step up. When they do, this problem goes away.

Other than Lou Holtz, what other high level coach have we lost? Our issue is that we always tried to hire on the cheap and never went out to make a big splash hire before PJ, and quite honestly most wouldn't have considered PJ a big splash hire either.

Aside from Holtz, we haven't had a high-level coach that we needed to step up and pay since Warmath. And as for Holtz, he wasn't going to stay for almost any amount of money.

Other than Lou Holtz, what other high level coach have we lost? Our issue is that we always tried to hire on the cheap and never went out to make a big splash hire before PJ, and quite honestly most wouldn't have considered PJ a big splash hire either.

GOOD POINT!

I think the Gophers are safe this year and maybe PJ will stay on no matter what, but if he does real well this year and backs it up next year, PJ will be sought after.

That does not mean he will leave, but their are so many P5 teams looking for a winner and may be able to throw cash out at him. Still your HC has a bright future at Minnesota and I hope he overlooks cash over being the Gophers best coach ever and revered as such.

PARTY ON GOPHERS AND IF PJ DOES WELL THIS YEAR AND THEN BACKS IT UP NEXT YEAR I HOPE HE STAYS!!

Last edited:

PJ is going to be here at LEAST 15 years.

I don’t think he would go to NFL, because I think the things he enjoys most about coaching are the recruiting, the building of a family environment, impacting the young men on our team... And I can’t think of any reason to leave a Power 5 program in a weaker division, with fertile recruiting territory, history to tap into, and enough money to be able to pay him in the top 20 or so coaches in the NCAA.

Especially once he’s built out the roster to a 10+ win team.

Last edited:

I agree, we haven’t lost any. Holtz wasn’t staying anyway. We have never committed to do what it takes. Our pay scale and facilities have at best, been average. In football we have often been less. Frost and Brohm had similar resumes to PJ. We’re paying him millions less than Purdue and Nebraska pay their guys. It’s impossible to coach kids to be their best, when the U is committed to average. We have a chance with PJ to be so much better. It’s time to step up, a program that wins 9/10 games each year is within our reach.

PJ is going to be here at LEAST 15 years.

I don’t think he would go to NFL, because I think the things he enjoys most about coaching are the recruiting, the building of a family environment, impacting the young men on our team... And I can’t think of any reason to leave a Power 5 program in a weaker division, with fertile recruiting territory, history to tap into, and enough money to be able to pay him in the top 20 or so coaches in the NCAA.

Especially once he’s built out the roster to a 10+ win team.

I hope if your HC continues to be successful he will stay for 15 years. Its a rarity but it is possible. GSU seems to lose GREAT HCs after 5 years.

I didn't think he would consider the NFL or he NFL consider him. Nor would he want to leave a power 5 conference for just any P5 school.

Last edited:

TALON - "If he is not enticed to leave I can see him building the Gophers into a power and I hope that will be his mindset"

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

TALON -It would be strang and excetional.[/QUOTE]

What is your opinion of what a power looks like in football ? Just curious as everyone has their own standard. Is UW a power with all they have done ? IS it one or two years of 10 plus years ? Is it winning at least two conference titles ? Winning multiple major bowl events ? Huge fan but he has not won anything yet. I know this board well enough that if we lose 4 games the rest of this year there will be those that are thrilled that we did not do the extension or build the statue. Lets see if we can beat PSU, Iowa and UW and maybe sell out a 50,000 seat stadium lets say for one whole season.

Top Bottom