All Things P.J. Fleck Rumor Mill Thread - Listed as Candidate for Other Jobs

So what are the “non-helmet” P5 schools that would give PJ full RTB-ification rights and be able to pay significantly more than we can?

Don’t think there are many.

Washington/Cal/Arizona/Colorado?
OK St?
Florida/South Carolina?

Not sure on Colorado or OK St (could be, but I'm guessing not by much). Mizzou, Miss St, Ole Miss, Boston College, Syracuse, VaTech, UVA are some other possibilities, maybe?

With BTN $$ it becomes hard to say whether some of these other programs could really afford to out pay MN, should MN choose to get into a bidding war.

Obviously most the helmet schools can pay nearly as much as they want, but most of those just don't seem like a good fit for PJ. He always comes across pretty true to himself, and I can't imagine him doing something different to please the helmet schools.

If Notre Dame comes calling, he gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless the pay gap is huge, why would you leave MN to go to a Tennessee or an Arkansas as this point? They are chewing through coaches every 3-4 years because you start as the 7th or 8th best program in your conference and it is almost impossible to move up more than 1-2 spots. MN is well-positioned unless the B1G changes the division structure to compete for the B1G championship on a regular basis in a way Tennessee and Arkansas can't right now.

The thing that would ruin the West programs would be if they make it so the Big Ten champ game is the top two ranked teams in the conf, rather than West v East division winners. Ie divisionless.

If they pull that stunt, I’d be fine breaking off to form a new Big 8 with the West schools plus Indiana, Iowa St etc. What would be there point of staying when it’d be Michigan, Ohio St, Penn St almost every year? F that

Last edited:

I think PJ Fleck has a good thing going here and he knows it. Do what it takes to keep him happy here for a long time!!

And put a poison pill in his contract to keep teams from trying to pirate him away. Get 'er done!

Agree - Apparently we were on a super short list of schools that he would have left WMU for. Would assume the list of schools he would leave here for is even smaller.

Showing already in year 3 that he can compete in the West with a roster primed and ready for more over the next few years. School has fully embraced his row the boat culture and he seems to have a great relationship with the AD. And we are in the F'in Big Ten so it is not like there are a ton of better options.

Maybe he is looking to jump from head coaching gig to head coaching gig but the way he is wired in terms of wanting to really build a program on multiple levels is something that takes time to do. He doesn't come across as a plug and play kind of head coach.

People say that Row the Boat wouldn't fly at a helmet school. You know what does fly at helmet schools? Winning. And PJ Fleck is 8-0 this year. You are ABSOLUTELY DELUSIONAL if you think that an AD and fans would stay away from a twice proven winner who runs a clean program because they aren't sure if his mantra will fit on their helmet. We have already seen the lengths that major schools will go to to win. I don't know how you could possibly think Row the Boat is a show stopper.

Now I don't know if PJ will entertain offers from ND or USC or whomever. I can tell you that I hope ND does well the rest of the year though and that Brian Kelly has a job for the foreseeable future (and Clay Helton to a lesser extent).

People say that Row the Boat wouldn't fly at a helmet school. You know what does fly at helmet schools? Winning. And PJ Fleck is 8-0 this year. You are ABSOLUTELY DELUSIONAL if you think that an AD and fans would stay away from a twice proven winner who runs a clean program because they aren't sure if his mantra will fit on their helmet. We have already seen the lengths that major schools will go to to win. I don't know how you could possibly think Row the Boat is a show stopper.

Now I don't know if PJ will entertain offers from ND or USC or whomever. I can tell you that I hope ND does well the rest of the year though and that Brian Kelly has a job for the foreseeable future (and Clay Helton to a lesser extent).

Kelly had Notre Dame undefeated in the regular season last year before losing to Clemson in the playoffs - who in turn crushed Alabama. This year's team probably "underwhelms" with 10-2 regular season. Kelly's doing pretty damn good for a school with very high academic standards.

Agree - Apparently we were on a super short list of schools that he would have left WMU for. Would assume the list of schools he would leave here for is even smaller.

Showing already in year 3 that he can compete in the West with a roster primed and ready for more over the next few years. School has fully embraced his row the boat culture and he seems to have a great relationship with the AD. And we are in the F'in Big Ten so it is not like there are a ton of better options.

Maybe he is looking to jump from head coaching gig to head coaching gig but the way he is wired in terms of wanting to really build a program on multiple levels is something that takes time to do. He doesn't come across as a plug and play kind of head coach.

I believe we were on a list of 8 schools and we were the one that didn't quite fit in with the other 7. His kids live in Missouri and Heather's lives in Michigan. Most people seem to think that limits PJ to the midwest.

So I wonder if the list was something like Minnesota, Notre Dame, Michigan, OSU, Iowa, Wisconsin, MSU, Nebraska?

And of those 7, probably only 3 of them, OSU, ND and Michigan, are a big enough step up where he might seriously consider leaving.

Of course this is all speculation.

I believe we were on a list of 8 schools and we were the one that didn't quite fit in with the other 7. His kids live in Missouri and Heather's lives in Michigan. Most people seem to think that limits PJ to the midwest.

So I wonder if the list was something like Minnesota, Notre Dame, Michigan, OSU, Iowa, Wisconsin, MSU, Nebraska?

And of those 7, probably only 3 of them, OSU, ND and Michigan, are a big enough step up where he might seriously consider leaving.

Of course this is all speculation.

Mizzou is an interesting one you didn’t list there.

I tend to think of them as a lateral move from Minn ... but they probably have great attendance, are in the easier SEC division, and they have SEC money which is equivalent to Big Ten money.

He could stay here for 10 more years and make the jump to helmet school and still be just 49. By that time, perhaps we’d be elevated to helmet school status.

My thought is he’s going to win a National Championship at some point in his career, whether it’s here or elsewhere. If he truly believes he can do it here, the chances of him sticking around are better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rowing the boat to the SEC? P.J. Fleck named as potential option for 2 programs

Arkansas and South Carolina are a pair of SEC programs that have found themselves miles away from the success it enjoyed in past years. The Razorbacks haven’t been able to recapture the magic of 8 years ago, when Bobby Petrino had them ranked in the top 5 after an affair with a female member of the athletics department led to his dismissal. Meanwhile, the Gamecocks are just 6 years removed from the 3rd of 3 11-2 seasons.

Could either school look north to Minnesota head coach P.J. Fleck—who has the Golden Gophers at No. 13 and potentially in line for a spot in the College Football Playoff rankings on Tuesday? According to Minneapolis Star-Tribune beat writer Megan Ryan, that could be a possibility.

After a modestly successful 3rd year at SMU, Chad Morris was hired as Bret Bielema’s replacement in Fayetteville. Since taking the role, he went 2-10 in 2018 and is currently at 2-6. To add to the situation, he’s yet to win an SEC game.

Meanwhile, in Columbia, following marks of 6-7, 9-4 and 7-6, along with a 1-2 bowl record, Will Muschamp’s group this year has been an enigma, to say the least. While its biggest win is against No. 8 Georgia, despite hanging with No. 6 Florida and staying decently competitive for a few minutes against No. 2 Alabama, it’s lost to North Carolina, Tennessee and Missouri to sit at 3-5.

But the two men’s buyouts, and the possibilty of Fleck receiving a massive pay raise, could make it difficult for either program to bring him in.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/s...eck-named-as-potential-option-for-2-programs/

Go Gophers!!

^

Why do we do this here? It’s fine, I guess. Just a little odd.

The prospect of PJ leaving here to go to Arkansas or S Carolina made me laugh a little.

Not sure on Colorado or OK St (could be, but I'm guessing not by much). Mizzou, Miss St, Ole Miss, Boston College, Syracuse, VaTech, UVA are some other possibilities, maybe?

With BTN $$ it becomes hard to say whether some of these other programs could really afford to out pay MN, should MN choose to get into a bidding war.

Obviously most the helmet schools can pay nearly as much as they want, but most of those just don't seem like a good fit for PJ. He always comes across pretty true to himself, and I can't imagine him doing something different to please the helmet schools.

I think you just made the point I was thinking about. With the current BTN money Minnesota can pay Fleck whatever they need to pay him to, if $$$ is what will keep him here. T

The next question is whether Fleck likes the "big city" and living on the big Lake, since he cannot have both those things or either in a lot of places. We have heard about the coach and wife being relatively close to Michigan and all the children in joint custodial agreements as well, and Minnesota is close, with a major airport. LA or typical P5 podunkville towns do not help in these areas.

All the talk about RTB hype and messaging is a little overblown, as I think Fleck would get a lot more relaxed about the uniform branding if he really wants a USC, Notre Dame or Michigan type job.

The question becomes does he think he can get the five stars he needs to Minnesota to win a NC, and does he have a Lou Holtz type ego that demands he coach at one of those schools he grew up idolizing.

I have not answers to these questions, but if he leaves I hope our AD hires his old pal, the Boise State coach (or Dungy, MIke Grant, or Trestman) ASAP.

Last edited:

Finding FSU's Next Coach:

Minnesota coach PJ Fleck

Coaching Record: 50-35

Salary: $3.6 million

Fleck, 38, is the youngest coach on the hot board. He’s been a head coach for seven seasons at Western Michigan (2013-16) and Minnesota (2017-pres.).

He took over a Western Michigan program that was 4-8 the year before he took over. He went 1-11 his first season then went 8-5 the next two seasons. His last season the Broncos finished 13-1 with the only loss coming to Wisconsin in the Cotton Bowl.

https://www.tallahassee.com/story/s...oard-bob-stoops-pj-fleck-campbell/4149845002/

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

All these speculative talk, let's just enjoy the rest of the season. I hope this does not deter the Gopher players from focusing on their remaining games for it is horrible if the distraction derail a good season.

10 names to know as FSU enters head coaching search

Minnesota, PJ Fleck

PJ Fleck (38) — Fleck has turned Minnesota around in his third year with the program. Fleck has the Gophers off to an 8-0 start and is one of the hottest up and coming names in coaching circles. Fleck brings a ton of energy to any program he touches. Fleck is known as a great recruiter, leader and communicator. Fleck brings an uptempo, high scoring offense with him. He currently makes around $3.5 million and would be well within the budget Florida State is working with.

https://247sports.com/college/flori...otball-coaching-search-137964887/#137964887_1

Go Gophers!!

I expect with USC, Arkansas, and a few other "big" programs coming open in the next month or so we will continue to hear rumors about Fleck leaving.

Only thing that will stop it is when the extension gets announced.

If I was FSU, I'd go after Norvell at Memphis.
If PJF leaves for FSU, I'd go after Norvell to be HC here.

GSUsTALON - AS I've said before & it holds true

I know these types of threads appear every time a HC and staff turn a team around and does a great job.
Until you guys get concrete news of schools offering your head coach an interview IT's NOT WORTH WORRYING ABOUT.

It just darkens the good year & mood you're having this year so just enjoy the Gophers football games and success.

An envies fiend of Gopher Football

If a school has a great coach many times the HC may think they can repeat that at another school. As you know that is not true.
Like I said, I hope your HC and staff stays with you as long as they progress at Minnesota to the point that your AD and fans will except them.

per Rivals:

Florida State should go all in on P.J. Fleck.

Farrell’s take: FACT. I’m not privy to the inner workings of the Florida State coaching search, but based on what P.J. Fleck has done in the Big Ten at Minnesota, imagine what he could do at Florida State with all those geographical recruiting advantages. This is the guy who could get the Seminoles back to the promised land sooner than later and they should throw everything at him.

Gorney’s take: FACT. Florida State is a little bit of a different animal since Fleck has thrived at programs where players felt overlooked or maybe even a little disrespected in the recruiting process. That blue-collar, workmanlike, dare I say Row The Boat attitude might not fly at Florida State, where almost every recruit is elite. But Fleck can recruit, he can build programs and he can coach. Back up the Brinks truck and get him to Tallahassee as soon as possible.

https://sports.yahoo.com/fact-fiction-florida-state-p-115349851.html

Go Gophers!!

FSU is a dumpster fire. They're short of cash, and now have the rep for having no patience with coaches. I'm predicting they'll have a tough job landing a decent coach.

per Shooter:

The first thought some Gophers rooters had when Michigan State football coach Mark Dantonio announced his retirement last week was that the Spartans would pursue Minnesota’s P.J. Fleck despite his $10 million contract buyout.

Fleck coached Western Michigan to a 13-1 record and a Cotton Bowl appearance before taking the Gophers job, which, by the way, has only a $4.5 million contract buyout after next season.

Go Gophers!!

per Shooter:

The first thought some Gophers rooters had when Michigan State football coach Mark Dantonio announced his retirement last week was that the Spartans would pursue Minnesota’s P.J. Fleck despite his $10 million contract buyout.

Fleck coached Western Michigan to a 13-1 record and a Cotton Bowl appearance before taking the Gophers job, which, by the way, has only a $4.5 million contract buyout after next season.

Go Gophers!!
Ahh...No chance.

Go Gophers!!

They seriously had Bobby Bowden at 50/1 odds?

He was ridiculously old when he retired after the 2010 season. He’s a decade older now. He’s gotten so senile that he did a U (for U of Miami) symbol.

And they didn’t even have odds on Norvell, the guy they ended up selecting? Bizarre.

per Shooter:

Go Gophers!!

LOL. Other than the fact that Fleck makes more now than Dantonio ever did, has a higher max bonus potential, a significantly higher assistant coach salary pool, and an AD with actual athletics experience, it seems like a great fit.

Top Bottom