All Things P.J. Fleck Rumor Mill Thread - Listed as Candidate for Other Jobs

His buyout alone (pre-extension) makes him less attractive than last year. The extension basically made it 20% higher unless the U somehow upped how it gets calculated, which I doubt.

His buyout may have (we don't know) gone up - but I really doubt that would make any of the Big Guys less likely to pay it if they wanted him. I mean, what's another million here or there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

per STrib:

The financials of P.J. Fleck's original five-year, $18 million deal, and his one-year extension for 2022:

SALARIES

Base salaries per season:

2017: $3,500,000

2018: $3,550,000

2019: $3,600,000

2020: $3,650,000

2021: $3,700,000

2022: $3,750,000

BUYOUTS

Buyout terms of Fleck's extension were not yet announced Wednesday morning. Here are the buyout terms of his original deal:

If he's fired:

Amounts owed to Fleck if he is fired by the Gophers ...

... before 2018 season: $9 million.

... before 2019 season: $5.5 million.

... before 2020 season: $3 million.

... before 2021 season: $1.5 million.

... before 2022 season: (tbd).

If he leaves for another job:

Amounts Fleck owes back to the Gophers if he leaves ...

... before 2018 season: $4 million.

... before 2019 season: $3 million.

... before 2020 season: $2 million.

... before 2021 season: $1 million.

http://www.startribune.com/paying-p...buyouts-in-his-six-gophers-seasons/459342203/

Go Gophers!!

per STrib:

The financials of P.J. Fleck's original five-year, $18 million deal, and his one-year extension for 2022:

SALARIES

Base salaries per season:

2017: $3,500,000

2018: $3,550,000

2019: $3,600,000

2020: $3,650,000

2021: $3,700,000

2022: $3,750,000

BUYOUTS

Buyout terms of Fleck's extension were not yet announced Wednesday morning. Here are the buyout terms of his original deal:

If he's fired:

Amounts owed to Fleck if he is fired by the Gophers ...

... before 2018 season: $9 million.

... before 2019 season: $5.5 million.

... before 2020 season: $3 million.

... before 2021 season: $1.5 million.

If he leaves for another job:

Amounts Fleck owes back to the Gophers if he leaves ...

... before 2018 season: $4 million.

... before 2019 season: $3 million.

... before 2020 season: $2 million.

... before 2021 season: $1 million.

http://www.startribune.com/paying-p...buyouts-in-his-six-gophers-seasons/459342203/

Go Gophers!!
Honestly those numbers won’t drive anyone who wants him away. It would provide a nice little chink of change to give to the next guy we have to lure from somewhere else

Quick assumption would be all buyouts moved back a year with the addition of a year.

I agree the buyouts seem low.

Lot of angst early about how teams were gonna swoop in and hire Fleck away. How his name would always come up when teams were looking to replace their Head Coach.People must be feeling better that Fleck's name hasn't came up in all the Head Coaching rumors lately and only once since the firings started.

Little less anxiety.

Lot of angst early about how teams were gonna swoop in and hire Fleck away. How his name would always come up when teams were looking to replace their Head Coach.People must be feeling better that Fleck's name hasn't came up in all the Head Coaching rumors lately and only once since the firings started.

Little less anxiety.

I am sure those people that fret about coaches getting stolen have shifted their attention to basketball where all the top programs are going to swoop in and steal Pitino away now that the basketball team is doing well.

Oregon job open again now. That's the job that P.J. tried to get before he came here.

5 Coaches Who Could Replace Jim Harbaugh At Michigan

Minnesota head coach P.J. Fleck
Fleck turned Western Michigan from a one-win program to a 13-1 Cotton Bowl participant in three years. Since taking over at Minnesota, he’s improved the Golden Gophers from five wins in 2017 to seven last year and now a 7-0 start in 2019. A dynamic recruiter and energetic salesman, it seems like a matter of time before Fleck takes his career to a higher level. Michigan would give him the opportunity to do just that.

https://thespun.com/big-ten/michigan-wolverines/5-coaches-replace-jim-harbaugh-michigan

Go Gophers!!

If they run Harbaugh out of town no coach in their right mind would take that job.

Michigan has high academic standards.

Would be as dumb as Nebraska firing Solich

Fleck turned Western Michigan from a one-win program to a 13-1 Cotton Bowl participant in three years. Since taking over at Minnesota, he’s improved the Golden Gophers from five wins in 2017 to seven last year and now a 7-0 start in 2019. A dynamic recruiter and energetic salesman, it seems like a matter of time before Fleck takes his career to a higher level. Michigan would give him the opportunity to do just that.

https://thespun.com/big-ten/michigan-wolverines/5-coaches-replace-jim-harbaugh-michigan

Go Gophers!!

I get that Michigan is a more prestigious name brand and we are still viewed as the little sisters of the poor because we haven't won the conference in so long but it still kind of ticks me off when people talk about Michigan as a higher level job. Moving from one Big Ten school to another Big Ten School would not be moving to a higher level, it would be a lateral move that might come with a little bit more money and a ton more pressure to win right away.

You don't see Chryst or Frentz rumored to be moving to a higher level job by leaving a place like Wisconsin or Iowa yet somehow leaving Minnesota to move to another job in conference would be a step up?

Go Gophers!!
And so it begins...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I get that Michigan is a more prestigious name brand and we are still viewed as the little sisters of the poor because we haven't won the conference in so long but it still kind of ticks me off when people talk about Michigan as a higher level job. Moving from one Big Ten school to another Big Ten School would not be moving to a higher level, it would be a lateral move that might come with a little bit more money and a ton more pressure to win right away.

You don't see Chryst or Frentz rumored to be moving to a higher level job by leaving a place like Wisconsin or Iowa yet somehow leaving Minnesota to move to another job in conference would be a step up?

You don't see Chryst or Ferentz because they have WI and Iowa DNA. Both been associated with those programs for some time.
PJ still has only been here a few years.

If it's 9 years from now and PJ is being rumored, then I would find it unlikely he changes job.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the Michigan job is better than the Minnesota job. One example why would be salary. $7.5 million is better for a coach than $3.6 million.
If I could make $4 more by changing the location where I work, I might consider that.

You don't see Chryst or Ferentz because they have WI and Iowa DNA. Both been associated with those programs for some time.
PJ still has only been here a few years.

If it's 9 years from now and PJ is being rumored, then I would find it unlikely he changes job.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the Michigan job is better than the Minnesota job. One example why would be salary. $7.5 million is better for a coach than $3.6 million.
If I could make $4 more by changing the location where I work, I might consider that.

We haven't paid anyone like that because we haven't had anyone worthy of that salary. Can you imagine if we paid Mason, Brewster, Kill, or Claeys $7.5M? We can pay as much as anyone in the country, if we so choose.

MNVCGUY is exactly right. The only "higher level" jobs than Minnesota are NFL head coaching jobs. Just because uninformed morons from around the country don't realize what we have here doesn't mean that we have to play in to that idiotic line of thinking too.

HC at Michigan is most certainly not a lateral move from HC at MN. The only people on earth that think it is post on this board.

We haven't paid anyone like that because we haven't had anyone worthy of that salary. Can you imagine if we paid Mason, Brewster, Kill, or Claeys $7.5M? We can pay as much as anyone in the country, if we so choose.

MNVCGUY is exactly right. The only "higher level" jobs than Minnesota are NFL head coaching jobs. Just because uninformed morons from around the country don't realize what we have here doesn't mean that we have to play in to that idiotic line of thinking too.

Well, if we can pay it, we should maybe think about it before someone else does.

HC at Michigan is most certainly not a lateral move from HC at MN. The only people on earth that think it is post on this board.

You're right.

With the increased pressure and salary it's most likely a step down

How do you value a job?

Any coach jumping from a program like Minnesota to a program like Michigan would make significantly more money, gain significant notoriety, and be able to recruit at a much higher level. They are, generally, considered to be higher level jobs.

That said, there are tremendous down sides to those changes. Someone like Fleck would immediately lose some of the autonomy that he has at a place like Minnesota. Michigan is not putting an oar on a helmet. If you think Gopherhole makes fun of PJ, wait until you see the national media after a drubbing by Ohio State. I doubt PJ cares about that but my point is that sometimes the quirky types have more success outside of the microscope.

Michigan also has a little bit of the Nebraska syndrome. Someone like PJ could have much more job security at MN. If he made a few runs (here and there) and for the most part had us in the top half of the Big 10, we'll name a street after him and probably one for his wife too.

How do you value a job?

Any coach jumping from a program like Minnesota to a program like Michigan would make significantly more money, gain significant notoriety, and be able to recruit at a much higher level. They are, generally, considered to be higher level jobs.

That said, there are tremendous down sides to those changes. Someone like Fleck would immediately lose some of the autonomy that he has at a place like Minnesota. Michigan is not putting an oar on a helmet. If you think Gopherhole makes fun of PJ, wait until you see the national media after a drubbing by Ohio State. I doubt PJ cares about that but my point is that sometimes the quirky types have more success outside of the microscope.

Michigan also has a little bit of the Nebraska syndrome. Someone like PJ could have much more job security at MN. If he made a few runs (here and there) and for the most part had us in the top half of the Big 10, we'll name a street after him and probably one for his wife too.

Agree with this take, that there is more to a job then just prestige. Fleck has also stated that he really enjoys being in a major metropolitan area which is something many other programs don't have available to them.

Also, the pay gap between Minnesota and Michigan will be partially closing this off-season barring a total collapse over the next 5 games.

Depends on your perspective. If you are at a MAC school then yes Michigan would be a viewed as a better job than Minnesota. But if you are already a coach in the Big Ten, moving to a different school in the same conference would not be a massive step up (not to mention the fact that it almost never happens as far as I can remember).

Depends on your perspective. If you are at a MAC school then yes Michigan would be a viewed as a better job than Minnesota. But if you are already a coach in the Big Ten, moving to a different school in the same conference would not be a massive step up (not to mention the fact that it almost never happens as far as I can remember).

Didn't happen in the Big Ten but Dan Mullen left Mississippi State for Florida.

You're right.

With the increased pressure and salary it's most likely a step down

Some people don’t mind and even enjoy high pressure jobs. You think someone like PJ would even worry for a second about “pressure”?

More money, more support, more prestige, better recruiting opportunity, etc., etc. So silly to even consider MI as a lateral move.

Didn't happen in the Big Ten but Dan Mullen left Mississippi State for Florida.

Mullen to Florida is an interesting one. Comparing that to Fleck to Michigan would be the same in some ways and different in one key way. Like Mullen, Fleck would make more money at Michigan and be at a more prestigious location within the same conference. The key difference of course is that by moving from Mississippi State to Florida, Mullen went from the tougher side of the SEC to the easier side. If Fleck were to go to Michigan it would be the complete opposite.

Mullen also had a strong tie to Florida, having 2 National Championships there under Urban Meyer.

Mullen to Florida is an interesting one. Comparing that to Fleck to Michigan would be the same in some ways and different in one key way. Like Mullen, Fleck would make more money at Michigan and be at a more prestigious location within the same conference. The key difference of course is that by moving from Mississippi State to Florida, Mullen went from the tougher side of the SEC to the easier side. If Fleck were to go to Michigan it would be the complete opposite.

Mullen also had a strong tie to Florida, having 2 National Championships there under Urban Meyer.

Good take. Michigan will have problems dominating the east with OSU and PSU as part of their conference. Minnesota could dominate the west in a fashion similar to Wisconsin.

And Fleck has strong ties to the state of Michigan as his kids and Heather's kids live there IIRC and Heather is from there.

How do you value a job?

One has to wonder if going to UMich would qualify as a major pay cut.

My head tells me a hyper competitive person like PJF is always looking to climb to the top of his given profession. My heart would like to think he wants to build a historic legacy at MN where he has the potential to be revered and he can relish being in that upstart, underdog role but something says not to get too attached. We’ll see.

For any of that to come to pass firstly he has to have an awesome season here and secondly an ideal position has to open up that is amenable to PJF. I’m not at all convinced Harbaugh will leave of his own accord in the foreseeable future. I’m probably more sure of that than I am of PJF packing up.

Well last year Minnesota made $124.8 in revenue, 24th in the country while Michigan made $195.7 million so on paper, Michigan can offer 55% more than whatever we can offer.

Well last year Minnesota made $124.8 in revenue, 24th in the country while Michigan made $195.7 million so on paper, Michigan can offer 55% more than whatever we can offer.

If only universities had revenue sources outside of their athletic departments.

Top Bottom