All Things P.J. Fleck Rumor Mill Thread - Listed as Candidate for Other Jobs

Gruden to Tennessee is pretty much done according to everyone here in Nashville.
Chip Kelly to Florida is gaining a lot of steam.
Also have heard Harbaugh to the Bears but I think that is the least likely of the 3 to happen. Seems like the Harbaughs really like Michigan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only one of those three with a remote possibility of happening is Chip ending up at Florida. Vol fans are always talk themselves into Gruden going to Tennessee, but the reality is that he would have to take a pay cut and do a lot more work. And he could get a better job than that if he really wanted it. Tennessee would be better served making a run at Dan Mullen. And when he turns them down I think they’ll end up with someone like Norvell or Bobo. Harbaugh ain’t leaving Michigan either. Even Chip to Florida is a long shot, but I bet Florida would be willing/able to meet his asking price if they decide he’s their guy. And it sounds like their fan base really wants to see an exciting offense for the first time in a decade so I can see why they’d pursue him. Don’t know if Chip wants to get back into the college game though.

I don't know how many coaches leave after one year not named Kiffin.

I don't think PJ is interested in yanking his family up to a different location unless if his life sucks right now. Which I don't think it does.
As long as he's publicly praising Mark Coyle, I don't know if we have much to be worried about.

Did someone on here ever make a list of Power 5 coaches who left directly for another Power 5 job?

These are ones that come to my mind...

1. Lou Holtz - MN to ND
2. Nick Saban - MSU to LSU
3. Brett Beilema - WI to Ark
4. Gary Anderson - WI to Oregon St (one year?)
5. Mike Riley - Oregon St to Nebraska
6. Houston Nutt - Arkansas to Mississippi St
7. Lane Kiffin - Tennessee to USC (one year)
8. Gene Chizik - Iowa St to Auburn

It's not exactly an impressive list where it's worked out well for the coach or school.

I'm sure there are many others that worked out better than I'm not thinking of.

If by not an impressive list you mean 37.5% of the time the list you created leads to a national title, then yes

Also, we forgot:

Lou Holtz Arkansas to MN
Murray Warmath Miss. St to MN.

Clearly we poach SEC coaches, they don't poach us. :cool02:
Didn’t we steal an Ohio State Coach once too?

Football Scoop says today, under Tennessee heading, there is an interest in Fleck and that he has an easy buyout.

Didn’t we steal an Ohio State Coach once too?

Wes Fesler won a B1G title with Ohio State in 1949. He coached at OSU in 1950, then jumped to MN in 1951. Only coached 3 years with the Gophers.
Ask Sid - I'm sure Wes was a close personal friend.

per FootballScoop.com:

"Jon Gruden has no interest in being the next head coach at Tennessee. This is not happening. No one is being contacted about potentially joining his staff. Move on Vol fans…"

The Tuesday report from FootballScoop also included these notes: Florida State head coach Jimbo Fisher "would be willing to listen" if the Vols called, and that Duke coach David Cutcliffe and Minnesota coach P.J. Fleck are on athletic director John Currie's list of candidates.

https://247sports.com/college/tenne...-Jimbo-Fisher-Mike-Leach-Jeff-Brohm-110480714

Go Gophers!!

per FootballScoop.com:

"Jon Gruden has no interest in being the next head coach at Tennessee. This is not happening. No one is being contacted about potentially joining his staff. Move on Vol fans…"

The Tuesday report from FootballScoop also included these notes: Florida State head coach Jimbo Fisher "would be willing to listen" if the Vols called, and that Duke coach David Cutcliffe and Minnesota coach P.J. Fleck are on athletic director John Currie's list of candidates.

https://247sports.com/college/tenne...-Jimbo-Fisher-Mike-Leach-Jeff-Brohm-110480714

Go Gophers!!

“P.J. Fleck is on Currie’s list too.” – We’ve heard it from more than one source. Fleck, last year’s hottest name after going 13-0 in the regular season at Western Michigan, has a reasonable buyout at Minnesota. Fleck would rally the players and the fans, getting them to row in the same direction. Imagine the visual of Fleck rowing on the Tennessee River right up to Neyland… The question the fans will have is can Fleck out-coach Nick Saban in their annual matchup. Fleck’s response, “I went 13-0 at Western, give me a shot. Row the boat. Go Vols.”

http://footballscoop.com/news/the-chatter-at-tennessee/

“P.J. Fleck is on Currie’s list too.” – We’ve heard it from more than one source. Fleck, last year’s hottest name after going 13-0 in the regular season at Western Michigan, has a reasonable buyout at Minnesota. Fleck would rally the players and the fans, getting them to row in the same direction. Imagine the visual of Fleck rowing on the Tennessee River right up to Neyland… The question the fans will have is can Fleck out-coach Nick Saban in their annual matchup. Fleck’s response, “I went 13-0 at Western, give me a shot. Row the boat. Go Vols.”

http://footballscoop.com/news/the-chatter-at-tennessee/

Seriously?

Sheesh! It got me like women always looking for that one keyword to nail you.

It's a good test.

If the Fleck left, that just means we didn't want him. Hahaha.

In theory this has the potential to be by far the longest thread in the history of this board. If the Gophers do even reasonably well we're going to be having this discussion in perpetuity and so will the national rumor mill. Potentially for 30+ years...PJ is a young man!

How long is the "All Things Kirk Ferentz is Going to the NFL" thread over on the Iowa boards? The "Pat Fitzgerald Rumor Mill" thread on the Northwestern boards? We can beat it!

I know everything that these coaches say should be taken with a grain of salt, but I truly believe Fleck will only leave for another Midwest program and it won't be until he has been here for at least 3-4 years.

I'm not sweating until tOSU, Michigan, or Notre Dame have openings. That could be expedited if Harbaugh takes the Bears job after the season.

What other jobs might he take if he sticks to his word?

Wes Fesler won a B1G title with Ohio State in 1949. He coached at OSU in 1950, then jumped to MN in 1951. Only coached 3 years with the Gophers.
Ask Sid - I'm sure Wes was a close personal friend.

Fesler almost won the B10 title and a Rose Bowl trip his second season at MN - went 4-3-2. The ties were with Purdue (home) and Wisconsin (Madison). Gophers should have won both games, but for fumbles - which were a constant problem for Fesler teams. That year he had two All-Americans in his backfield - Giel and McNamara (a sophomore). If the Gophers had won just one of the ties they would have tied for the conference title and gone to the Rose Bowl. Giel made All-American, anyway and was MVP in the B10. Fesler went 4-4-1 his third and last year, leaving, he said, because he didn't want to recruit beyond the state of Minnesota!

I know everything that these coaches say should be taken with a grain of salt, but I truly believe Fleck will only leave for another Midwest program and it won't be until he has been here for at least 3-4 years.

I'm not sweating until tOSU, Michigan, or Notre Dame have openings. That could be expedited if Harbaugh takes the Bears job after the season.

What other jobs might he take if he sticks to his word?

I agree with you that I don't believe Fleck is going anywhere else this off season.

I've said this before on Gopherhole but if we have a coach that other teams want I think it is a great problem to have.
As long as coach Fleck leaves the program better then he found it I have no problem if he leaves for a better job. I'm sick of firing coaches.

If Fleck was still at WMU, he'd likely be a leading candidate for most of these jobs.

Glad we struck when we did.

I also don't think PJ will leave after this year. I doubt he would want to and I'm very confident he won't have any other P5 options after this year.

I also don't think PJ will leave after this year. I doubt he would want to and I'm very confident he won't have any other P5 options after this year.

I think most people in positions to make these decisions won't hold this year against Fleck at all. They are smart enough to see this roster for what it is. This was going to be the gophers season no matter who was coaching. You don't make a change counting on a one year fix. Nice low level thinking though.

I think most people in positions to make these decisions won't hold this year against Fleck at all. They are smart enough to see this roster for what it is. This was going to be the gophers season no matter who was coaching. You don't make a change counting on a one year fix. Nice low level thinking though.

Sure thing. I'm sure PJ is in great demand. Keep thinking that if it makes you feel better.

No reason for people to worry. No mention of Fleck.

3. Some names to know for specific jobs

A high-level look at everything, with some links to fuller lists. Updated periodically.

Florida: Mississippi State HC Dan Mullen is the clear favorite on this list.

Georgia Southern: Anyone who runs the triple option, for starters. Kennesaw State HC Brian Bohannon, a former right-hand man of Eagles legend and
Georgia Tech HC Paul Johnson, seems like a nearly perfect fit.

Nebraska: Former Huskers QB Scott Frost has taken UCF from 0-12 to a New Year’s Six run in two years.

Ole Miss: Hard to say, but lots of nice options for the first Power 5 school with an open job. Frank Wilson, long a legendary Louisiana recruiter, is on pace to lead UTSA to both of its first two bowls ever. Troy’s Neal Brown will likely be mentioned for every Southeastern job.

Oregon State: Washington State DC Alex Grinch’s name stands out on this list. Cal OC Beau Baldwin and Washington OC Jonathan Smith are popular suggestions. (Rick Neuheisel was rumored to be interested today)

Tennessee: The public’s most talked-about potential options are somehow Jon Gruden, who hasn’t coached in college since he was a low-level assistant in the 1980s and has turned down the Vols three times, and Lane Kiffin, whose previous middle-of-the-night dumping of Tennessee might only be his fourth-worst job exit. We put up an online poll; Gruden won.

Texas A&M: SMU HC Chad Morris, an alum, has been mentioned here for years.

Texas Tech: Usually the first name thrown around: TCU assistant Sonny Dykes, a former head coach who’s the son of longtime successful TTU HC Spike Dykes and a major member of Mike Leach’s tree.

UTEP: Here are a few names. Likely an assistant or FCS coach with Texas and/or Mountain Time Zone ties who can score points.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...college-football-coaching-rumors-changes-2017

Nobody is looking to hire Fleck away now. The extension seems to underscore that Coyle and Kaler have his back here, even after a disappointing season. No problem with that at all, IMHO at least.

Probably done before the Wisconsin game just in case they get blown-out Saturday and end the season at 5-7 with no trophies in the case. Smart move.

A win Saturday would get the Axe back home, get the fans excited, a chance for another Bowl Trophy to be added to the case and add some luster back to Fleck's name again nationwide. Man, let's hope he can get that done.

That would be beautiful.

Oh and getting that extension in before 12/20 is a good idea too.

Sure thing. I'm sure PJ is in great demand. Keep thinking that if it makes you feel better.

He is likely not in any more or less demand than last year at this time. Keep getting worked up over everything PJ though, it's fun to see.

Bruce Feldman has an article on SI today, outlining the 40 names to watch in this year's coaching carousel. Many sitting head coaches are mentioned, including many sitting Power 5 head coaches. Fleck is not on the list.

Nobody is looking to hire Fleck away now. The extension seems to underscore that Coyle and Kaler have his back here, even after a disappointing season. No problem with that at all, IMHO at least.

Probably done before the Wisconsin game just in case they get blown-out Saturday and end the season at 5-7 with no trophies in the case. Smart move.

A win Saturday would get the Axe back home, get the fans excited, a chance for another Bowl Trophy to be added to the case and add some luster back to Fleck's name again nationwide. Man, let's hope he can get that done.

That would be beautiful.

My question is, did he still take a pay cut?

He is likely not in any more or less demand than last year at this time. Keep getting worked up over everything PJ though, it's fun to see.

His buyout alone (pre-extension) makes him less attractive than last year. The extension basically made it 20% higher unless the U somehow upped how it gets calculated, which I doubt.

Top Bottom