All Things P.J. Fleck Rumor Mill Thread - Listed as Candidate for Other Jobs

TALON -It would be strang and excetional.

What is your opinion of what a power looks like in football ? Just curious as everyone has their own standard. Is UW a power with all they have done ? IS it one or two years of 10 plus years ? Is it winning at least two conference titles ? Winning multiple major bowl events ? Huge fan but he has not won anything yet. I know this board well enough that if we lose 4 games the rest of this year there will be those that are thrilled that we did not do the extension or build the statue. Lets see if we can beat PSU, Iowa and UW and maybe sell out a 50,000 seat stadium lets say for one whole season.[/QUOTE]

Good Question.

WINNING!

Most of what you said above.

You do need to fill the stadium at least 85% or above and your team has to be in contention for the conference championship often or a good bowl game that pays your way.

If a school has a great coach many times the HC may think they can repeat that at another school. As you know that is not true.
Like I said, I hope your HC and staff stays with you as long as they progress at Minnesota to the point that your AD and fans will except them.

GO GOPHERS

TALON!

Last edited:

I think Fleck has a great job. If he goes 9-4 here 4 straight years he would be a legend. That can get you fired some places. It will be about what is important to him. If winning a national title is important to him i could see him be attracted to national jobs. Not a factor right now. He has a whole lot of winning to be considered by those kinds of programs.

Does anyone know if MI was also on that short list of dream jobs he was willing to consider to leave WMU?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Below Oregon I think...

What is your opinion of what a power looks like in football ? Just curious as everyone has their own standard. Is UW a power with all they have done ? IS it one or two years of 10 plus years ? Is it winning at least two conference titles ? Winning multiple major bowl events ? Huge fan but he has not won anything yet. I know this board well enough that if we lose 4 games the rest of this year there will be those that are thrilled that we did not do the extension or build the statue. Lets see if we can beat PSU, Iowa and UW and maybe sell out a 50,000 seat stadium lets say for one whole season.

Good Question.

WINNING!

Most of what you said above.

You do need to fill the stadium at least 85% or above and your team has to be in contention for the conference championship often or a good bowl game that pays your way.

If a school has a great coach many times the HC may think they can repeat that at another school. As you know that is not true.
Like I said, I hope your HC and staff stays with you as long as they progress at Minnesota to the point that your AD and fans will except them.

GO GOPHERS

TALON![/QUOTE]

Sounds like you have a new favorite team.

This thread is apparently fertile ground for concern trolling.

ALON![/QUOTE]

Sounds like you have a new favorite team.[/QUOTE]

Fleck is not going anywhere if we all take his comments at face value value and we pay him Harbaugh type money now and that might be what needs to happen.

If he leaves it means that he are not willing to pay him, he thinks he cannot recruit enough great players here to win at Clemson/ Alabama level, (cannot cheat like others do, illegal payments, get any brain dead player into school), or his ego demands he get one of the top jobs as defined by his generation (USC, Alabama, Notre Dame, MIchigan, OSU, Oklahoma, ect) Note, these jobs are not all equal and perceptions shift over time (Miami,, Nebraska, Texas even, UCLA now crap - used to be top shelf)

I think Fleck knows he can win big here, and he likes Lake Minnetonka and all the things you do not get in Norman Oklahoma, or Manhattan KS, but more importantly does his ego need one of those name jobs, like Lou Holtz needed?

It might come down to the money, but it might come down to those other factors.

I believe in what JP said up front. Minnesota is a sleeping giant.
Enrollment numbers, now facilities, forward thinking AD, president that knows the value of winning athletic programs, it is all falling in place.

There will be no reason for PJ to uproot his family and move if the pay grade is in balance with what it should be. This administration understands and will do right...

Sounds like you have a new favorite team.[/QUOTE]

GSU will always be my favorite Team, but I respect a team that turns its program around and beats the odds

I'm not trolling. GSU has just lost to many great coaches because of few a ADs that wanted to change our Offense for a cookie cutter offense.

Last edited:

I believe in what JP said up front. Minnesota is a sleeping giant.
Enrollment numbers, now facilities, forward thinking AD, president that knows the value of winning athletic programs, it is all falling in place.

There will be no reason for PJ to uproot his family and move if the pay grade is in balance with what it should be. This administration understands and will do right...

It isn't close to inline with his results at the moment and the Gophers will need to pay him soon.

MY LAST POST ON THE SUBJECT.

I know these types of threads appear every time a HC and staff turn a team around and does a great job.

Until you guys get concrete news of schools offering your head coach an interview IT's NOT WORTH WORRYING ABOUT.

It just darkens the good year & mood you're having this year so just enjoy the Gophers football games and success.

An envies fiend of Gopher Football

TALON

www.gsufans.com

He's also a very good coach. I was more than impressed by the way he had Minnesota ready to play the game in the Shoe last year. I wish he'd stop is rowboat gimmick - you've hit the big time PJ, don't need that anymore, but he is one of the best coaches in the B1G

He's also a very good coach. I was more than impressed by the way he had Minnesota ready to play the game in the Shoe last year. I wish he'd stop is rowboat gimmick - you've hit the big time PJ, don't need that anymore, but he is one of the best coaches in the B1G

Yup he will just stop something he has been doing for years just because he is winning big time! Clowns on this board sometimes!

For him it's not a gimmick, it's here to stay.

If the Gophers want to keep PJ, they have the ability to out pay all but 20 schools.

Of those 20, maybe 3-5 can drastically out pay the U of M.
Of those 3-5, the number of those that would allow PJ the amount of control he has here from a marketing and promotion standpoint (RTB). is probably 1-2.
So in that case, PJ would need to decide if he's willing to give it up or not.

If we pay PJ 6.5-7 million, it will take his name out of consideration for the majority of his potential suitors. Then it's just a question if he really dreams of coaching a Notre Dame or a Michigan. Places that aren't hiring right now. If we pay him $5 million, that potential pool is a little bigger.

I agree, we haven’t lost any. Holtz wasn’t staying anyway. We have never committed to do what it takes. Our pay scale and facilities have at best, been average. In football we have often been less. Frost and Brohm had similar resumes to PJ. We’re paying him millions less than Purdue and Nebraska pay their guys. It’s impossible to coach kids to be their best, when the U is committed to average. We have a chance with PJ to be so much better. It’s time to step up, a program that wins 9/10 games each year is within our reach.

I still say Purdue grossly overpaid Brohm. I also believe Frost got a boost being a "National Championship" coach (whether you agree with UCF's claim or not, they have claimed the 2017 National Championship).

My issue is this. I have no problem bumping Fleck's pay. I don't want him getting enough more to justify moving to a mid-tier school. But the reality is, if a Michigan, USC, etc. come calling, they can afford to pay him whatever he needs to walk away. Plus they have other built in advantages (recruiting, budget, etc.). The U isn't going to keep him from taking one of those jobs if that's the direction he wants to go. They literally can't pay him enough. So it's OK to pay him more because you think he deserves it and the market shows he's underpaid based on his performance, but if you start trying to pay him extra just to keep him, you probably aren't actually gaining any security.

I'm more concerned with the assistants becoming desirable to other teams. I'm hoping they are being paid appropriately...

PJ’s current salary ($3.6MM) puts him at 11th of 14. He has room to grow. The Gophers would need to bump it to just above $4MM to move ahead of Lovie Smith as 10th of 14. To jump to 5th of 14, the Gophers would need to pay Fleck just over $5MM to edge out Frost. Beyond that it becomes ridiculous, until more is accomplished, at least in my opinion.

The remainder of the season will dictate the size of the salary increase, but my one hope is that any bump for him translates into equivalent bumps (% wise) for his assistance/coordinators. I think that the only way you keep the talent intact or replaceable in kind.

Notre Dame Football: Potential replacements for Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly has been fairly successful during his tenure as the head coach of the Notre Dame football team. However, Kelly has done nothing to dispel the notion that Notre Dame is perennially overrated due to the fact that he has failed to win the big game as the head coach of the Irish.
The 45-14 drubbing at the hands of the Michigan Wolverines marks the 11th consecutive road game that Brian Kelly has lost to a top 20 ranked team — a streak that dates back seven years. In addition, Notre Dame football is now 4-12 in games against top 25 ranked opponents with Brian Kelly as their head coach.

While Brian Kelly has done a great job of making Notre Dame relevant again, and has even coached them to a national championship matchup and a College Football Playoff game, he has failed to elevate Notre Dame to elite status.

As a result, the clamoring for him to be replaced will likely become more fervent among Irish fans. Should Notre Dame and Kelly decide to part ways, here are some potential candidates to think about.

P.J. Fleck
P.J. Fleck has been the head coach for Minnesota since 2017. During that time, he has gone 20-13 with the Golden Gophers and currently holds an 8-0 record on the year. He has Minnesota ranked No. 13 in the AP poll. Prior to coming to Minnesota, Fleck was the head coach of Western Michigan University. At WMU, Fleck had a 28-19 record. Astoundingly, he was able to bring Western Michigan from a relatively unknown football program all the way to an AP ranking of 12 in his final year at the program.

During that time, Fleck won the MAC championship and was a two-time MAC coach of the year award winner. At only 39 years of age, Fleck would undoubtedly be able to connect with the young college players ,and given his previous track record, would be an ideal candidate for the Notre Dame football coaching position in South Bend should the Irish and Brian Kelly part ways.

https://slapthesign.com/2019/10/29/notre-dame-football-replacements-brian-kelly/

Go Gophers!!

If Notre Dame fires Brian Kelly they are making a mistake although Fleck would make a great hire.

If Notre Dame fires Brian Kelly they are making a mistake although Fleck would make a great hire.

"Row the Boat" will not fly at "helmet schools"...they already have an identity, traditions, lore etc. USC/ND and the like place less value on visiting hospitals and the other great stuff PJ does with the team and MUCH more on winning games. They want national titles and PJ does not have one (yet).

If Brian Kelly is in trouble for turning in another 8 win season after along with four 10+ win seasons-shame on them...note I'm NOT a fan of his at all, but the results are there- save one 4 win season- that they are a top 10 (arguably a top 5) program in his tenure.

Pj isn't right for ND or USC. Both are too traditional and won't embrace RTB, imo, not to mention putting it on uniforms. Both programs will always be bigger than PJ; PJ can't successfully be the face of either program--something that would be a draw to him. Thus, I'm not too concerned about him leaving for either one.

"Row the Boat" will not fly at "helmet schools"...they already have an identity, traditions, lore etc. USC/ND and the like place less value on visiting hospitals and the other great stuff PJ does with the team and MUCH more on winning games. They want national titles and PJ does not have one (yet).

If Brian Kelly is in trouble for turning in another 8 win season after along with four 10+ win seasons-shame on them...note I'm NOT a fan of his at all, but the results are there- save one 4 win season- that they are a top 10 (arguably a top 5) program in his tenure.

Ha....you beat me to it.

He would.

However, RTB would not be allowed on the uniform or helmet, in any manner. It would be reduced to banners/signs in the practice facilities, maybe stadium, and maybe on the background tarp for pressers. And of course he can say it, and maybe some merch can have it. Up to PJ if he can accept that downgrade.

Interesting how ND and Michigan are in the same position, with regards to being relevant yet mostly can’t win the biggest games.

So what are the “non-helmet” P5 schools that would give PJ full RTB-ification rights and be able to pay significantly more than we can?

Don’t think there are many.

Washington/Cal/Arizona/Colorado?
OK St?
Florida/South Carolina?

So what are the “non-helmet” P5 schools that would give PJ full RTB-ification rights and be able to pay significantly more than we can?

OK St?
Florida/South Carolina?

Tennessee- They have a BIG stadium that needs to be filled and SEC $.

Florida to an extent- they need stability and have the 'ghosts" of Spurrier and Urban still vivid. They would pay up and might buy into RTB.

He could make an impact in the Pac 10/12 as there are no real giants there now (Ore, USC could rise soon) Wash is a nice program now & Colo is just starting a rebuild now.

Pay him $5M a year for 5 yrs and revisit when we are in the hunt for a national title.

OK St?
Florida/South Carolina?

UCLA

Tennessee- They have a BIG stadium that needs to be filled and SEC $.

Florida to an extent- they need stability and have the 'ghosts" of Spurrier and Urban still vivid. They would pay up and might buy into RTB.

He could make an impact in the Pac 10/12 as there are no real giants there now (Ore, USC could rise soon) Wash is a nice program now & Colo is just starting a rebuild now.

Pay him $5M a year for 5 yrs and revisit when we are in the hunt for a national title.

Unless the pay gap is huge, why would you leave MN to go to a Tennessee or an Arkansas as this point? They are chewing through coaches every 3-4 years because you start as the 7th or 8th best program in your conference and it is almost impossible to move up more than 1-2 spots. MN is well-positioned unless the B1G changes the division structure to compete for the B1G championship on a regular basis in a way Tennessee and Arkansas can't right now.

There is a lot of open space on ND’s helmets to put stuff. That may be appealing.

With Fleck's MO, year 1 anywhere would be a total teardown, setback, and rebuild at 4 or 5 wins. Michigan and ND are not going to sign up for that. Tennessee, maybe.

I think PJ Fleck has a good thing going here and he knows it. Do what it takes to keep him happy here for a long time!!

And put a poison pill in his contract to keep teams from trying to pirate him away. Get 'er done!

Top Bottom