The Gophers' Maroon and Gold Scrimmage featured dynamic guards

Kid of ironic complaining about low attendance, when you weren't an attendant. Just saying.

There were a lot more students at this event during Tubby Time, about the same amount (maybe slightly more) old folks in attendance in previous years. The lower area was never close to full in my recollection... even when Tub-Tub came out on the motorcycle.

It's a great event for kids to come get their photo with Goldy, give him a high five, see players up close and get autographs.

They sold out the student section this year which is awesome. So how do you get more students to this event? Maybe had out their free t-shirt during this event? Make them pick up their tickets/passes that night? Give them a slice of pizza.. Some incentive needs to be added.

It was an observation, not a complaint. If you hadn't noticed, my entire post was related to being disappointed that it's not nearly as much of an event as it used to be. Who do you even think I was "complaining" about for low attendance? It's a little hard to attend while I'm living in FL for graduate school. I went to every single Tipoff while Tubby was around except for his first because I didn't know about it. Here's how it looked back then: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-95GJuc1xw

Its also possible that the addition of the added exhibition game took numbers away from the event.

I actually appreciated it this way. No banter from the sidelines from Pitino, no ego inflating BS introducing the players. Just a fun scrimmage, with players changing jerseys/sides frequently so we got to see many match ups. A kids basketball team & coaches sat on front of us and were clearly ready for autographs afterward. I'd like to see more focus on that. Getting community teams to attend - build loyalty to the local program.

Oh, and they should have been selling the added exhibition tickets at the event.

It was an observation, not a complaint. If you hadn't noticed, my entire post was related to being disappointed that it's not nearly as much of an event as it used to be. Who do you even think I was "complaining" about for low attendance

Saying it was 'sad' and 'dissapointing' is not an observation. But ya got me on the attendance, I was there and remember the student section being good, but not all the other people. That was an exciting time.

Smith_Tubby7_112221215_std.jpg

Its also possible that the addition of the added exhibition game took numbers away from the event.

I actually appreciated it this way. No banter from the sidelines from Pitino, no ego inflating BS introducing the players. Just a fun scrimmage, with players changing jerseys/sides frequently so we got to see many match ups. A kids basketball team & coaches sat on front of us and were clearly ready for autographs afterward. I'd like to see more focus on that. Getting community teams to attend - build loyalty to the local program.

Oh, and they should have been selling the added exhibition tickets at the event.

I definitely see this perspective and think it's a good point. It was nice to see the families and next generation of Gophers fans at the scrimmage. With that said, this is meant to be a promotional event for the program and I don't think those kids teams wouldn't come if the scrimmage was a bit more of a show. If anything it would be that bit more memorable for the kids and for recruits (!!) that way. It's why you invite the group of current commits, Matthew Hurt, Jalen Suggs and all the other top local talent yesterday. It's another opportunity to showcase what it would be like staying home. Hurt was at Countdown to Craziness last week and experienced it standing in their student section. Things like that are memorable for recruits in the process. I'm hopeful the U can create their own version of that.

Having a free t shirt or winter hat giveaway or something like that wouldn't hurt in getting fans and students out to an event like this too.

I definitely see this perspective and think it's a good point. It was nice to see the families and next generation of Gophers fans at the scrimmage. With that said, this is meant to be a promotional event for the program and I don't think those kids teams wouldn't come if the scrimmage was a bit more of a show. If anything it would be that bit more memorable for the kids and for recruits (!!) that way. It's why you invite the group of current commits, Matthew Hurt, Jalen Suggs and all the other top local talent yesterday. It's another opportunity to showcase what it would be like staying home. Hurt was at Countdown to Craziness last week and experienced it standing in their student section. Things like that are memorable for recruits in the process. I'm hopeful the U can create their own version of that.

Having a free t shirt or winter hat giveaway or something like that wouldn't hurt in getting fans and students out to an event like this too.
Its been years since they've done a winter hat giveaway. I agree some fun freebies would be great, and I'd think wed be able to find some sponsors for that

I wonder if RP is concerned that even with a bunch of fun twists/giveaways, the turnout would still be low and that would look bad? With a low-key event, you can brush aside the low turnout.

I attended all of the Tubby’s Tipoffs and remember being disappointed at the turnout. However, they were really fun. Who doesn’t like slam dunk and 3-point contests? Those were a blast. I’m guessing coaches aren’t crazy about the injury risk of the dunk-fest. Remember when a Gopher (Rodney?) dunked over Tubby’s Harley from the free-throw line?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder if RP is concerned that even with a bunch of fun twists/giveaways, the turnout would still be low and that would look bad? With a low-key event, you can brush aside the low turnout.

I attended all of the Tubby’s Tipoffs and remember being disappointed at the turnout. However, they were really fun. Who doesn’t like slam dunk and 3-point contests? Those were a blast. I’m guessing coaches aren’t crazy about the injury risk of the dunk-fest. Remember when a Gopher (Rodney?) dunked over Tubby’s Harley from the free-throw line?

Mbakwe, there are some youtube videos from the 2010 tip-off.

Its been years since they've done a winter hat giveaway. I agree some fun freebies would be great, and I'd think wed be able to find some sponsors for that

I still have my black Gopher/Shane Co. cap. My friend in the diamond business will certainly be considered should I ever be in the diamond market. Not very likely, though.

I still have my black Gopher/Shane Co. cap. My friend in the diamond business will certainly be considered should I ever be in the diamond market. Not very likely, though.

Hang in there, Holy Man! "The One" will come along some day!

Fair point. Pitino's pretty low key as well so he may not be into all the bells and whistles to begin with. I just feel like the event has so much more potential especially with where the program is currently and where it's heading. I don't mind the current setup though. The Sunday scrimmage was a good time.

Fair point. Pitino's pretty low key as well so he may not be into all the bells and whistles to begin with. I just feel like the event has so much more potential especially with where the program is currently and where it's heading. I don't mind the current setup though. The Sunday scrimmage was a good time.

Don’t get me wrong - I would personally love more bells and whistles. How about a Jelly contest next year? That might get some press!

Top Bottom