PJ Fleck on Sports Huddle 10-29-17

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
Gopher FB Coach PJ Fleck appeared on the Sports Huddle with Sid, Dave and Max on Sunday.

Sid: defense played best game. IA had 2 drives.
PJF: thought defense was spectacular. each week they've got better. lot of kids playing. Robb Smith doing great job - players are playing so hard. they inspire me. got to execute better on offense, get more rhythm. defense doing everything they can to keep us in games

Sid: 4th down - poor play (missed pass in end zone?)
PJF: good play call. throw a ball that's not where it's supposed to be. receiver didn't run route correctly. comes down to execution. 4th and 1, I'm calling it all over again. had no impact on game. worth the call.

Sid: dropped balls hurt
PJF: Demry played a lot better than he did against Illinois. more poised in pocket. WR's didn't catch ball well. didn't make plays. those are the things that cost you games. have to make plays. gotta make the big plays. we'll get there. growing as a FB team.

Sid: passing game?
PJF: not very good right now. consistency and execution. it's the QB's 2nd start. passing game is pretty much where I thought it could be. lot of guys in roles they haven't been in. new QB in brand-new system. have to improve. not executing at a high level. saw positive changes.

Max: create situations for passing game? what can you do to bring QB into this?
PJF: saw a difference between Ill and IA. (coaching staff trying) to highlight Demry's strengths, minimize weaknesses. got him out of pocket more. got him some bootlegs, sprint-outs. ran the ball a little bit. give him 1 or 2 reads and get the ball out. it's called developing. continue to be creative. work on incorporating more into game plan.

Sid: o-line opened up holes for RB's. lead country in sacks allowed.
PJF: highlight strengths, diminish deficiencies. OL scrapping, fighting, starting to gel. was their 1st time playing together in training camp. had to move guys around to different positions. proud of what coaches are doing. had a FR give up sack - he'll learn from that. we've been in every single game down to the wire. got to find out what losing feels like in order to win them.

Mona: early time out. salute to kids in hospital. lineup for national anthem.
PJF: they're on a run - try to break momentum. lot of talking going on defensively. call time out - like freezing the kicker. settle down kids - lot of young kids out there. they scored anyway. we settled in after they scored. (salute) greatest tradition in college FB with the wave. we were going to participate no matter what. bigger than football. whole team got together. it's about those children in the hospital. national anthem - haven't been out. never really have. players came up with that idea to show unity, show we're a football team. we are citizens 1st, student-athletes 2nd. really unique how they lined up. combined all the good in the world. our team is growing up.

Sid: been in every single game. some you finish, some you haven't
PJF: been 1-11 before - been 13-0 before. eventually fail enough to be successful. every game has its own identity. priceless knowledge for future. we're guaranteed 4 more games. the seniors are learning lessons for the rest of their lives. for the rest of our tenure here, we're learning valuable lessons. (in the future) every situation we come in, is not going to be a new situation.

Sid: Good having Brooks back.
PJF: Brooks ran well. all 3 backs ran well. if we execute a few more passes, it's a different FB game.

Sid: Michigan next?
PJF: they're one of best teams in the league. very physical. game is won in the trenches. Harbaugh one of best coaches in country. got a lot of respect for him. a young coach who just wants to be himself. I give him a lot of credit for that. built 49'ers, San Diego, Stanford, Michigan.

Sid: you're improving every game. Murray's
PJF: RTB, Ski-U-Mah.

Nice recap. He hit many issues right on the nail. Fleck knows what the issues are, we just need to get the players to run their routes properly etc. Coaches doing the best they can to get the players that he has do their job. It will come. I do believe in Fleck.

to find out what losing feels like in order to win them.
I'd say that if the past 50 years has taught us anything it's what losing feels like. How long until we win them? How long...

Croft played better than Illinois game? C'mon man.

yea, that "Gotta know what losing feels like" line needs to be ditched; NOT registering with lifelong Gopher fans. Fifty effing years without a title and he's shoveling that line??

Here's the thing: in pro sports, where they have a draft, a team can be really bad for 2 or 3 years, but they get draft picks that can turn around a franchise. Look at the Astros - terrible for several years, now in the World Series. In other words, there is a direct correlation between losing now and winning later. (of course, you have to draft wisely....)

But, in college, there's no draft. You have to go out and recruit players to turn around or improve a program. So there is NOT a direct correlation between losing now and winning later. If you don't recruit well, it can turn into losing now and losing later.

yea, that "Gotta know what losing feels like" line needs to be ditched; NOT registering with lifelong Gopher fans. Fifty effing years without a title and he's shoveling that line??

No kidding. We are "elite" at that.

Croft played better than Illinois game? C'mon man.

I would agree with that. The Illinois game was putrid. He had a hand full of good passes in this game and none of the terrible interceptions.

Thanks, shorty. Great job as always. I call BS on Fleckspeak. He really loaded up on BS today. Regardless, we will get better. This year look like a total loss.

Woz's drop "had no impact on the game"? We lost by seven - that would have been seven.

Did they ask him about the Florida job?

I'd say that if the past 50 years has taught us anything it's what losing feels like. How long until we win them? How long...

How many of the players on the roster have played here for the last 50 years? He's not saying that the fans need to know what losing feels like...

How many of the players on the roster have played here for the last 50 years? He's not saying that the fans need to know what losing feels like...
PJ can't be responsible for the last 50 years. Yet, many players on his team won nine games last year. Why must they learn to lose?
As a season ticket holder, that comment turned me off. If this is a throw away year, I wish he would have made that comment last February. I could have learned to lose at home.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

By your logic - if the players haven't gotten used to losing, that means they've spent a lot of time winning. And if they've spent a lot of time winning - remind me why we fired the previous coach?

I never understood why we would need to relearn how to win/play in close games simply because we have a new coach. These kids have won/played in close games many times in their lives - long before PJ was here. PJ and the coaches have won/played in many close games long before they were here. What exactly does everyone need to learn? Absolute, 100%, more nonsense being yelled from the same source.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never understood why we would need to relearn how to win/play in close games simply because we have a new coach. These kids have won/played in close games many times in their lives - long before PJ was here. PJ and the coaches have won/played in many close games long before they were here. What exactly does everyone need to learn? Absolute, 100%, more nonsense being yelled from the same source.

Because it is year zero, meaning all memories of winning/losing have been wiped from the collective team.

You're right. Team was a stellar 1-3 in 2016 Big Ten games decided by 7 points or less. 0-2 in 2015. They had nothing to learn at all....

You're right. Team was a stellar 1-3 in 2016 Big Ten games decided by 7 points or less. 0-2 in 2015. They had nothing to learn at all....

Keep eating everything PJ says. By this theory teams would never learn as there are 25-30 new players each year on every team. Oh, we are always super young then too.

In the other thread, your position is that wins/losses in one season don't have an impact on the next season.
Therefore, learning how to win games will not have an impact in future years. Can't have it both ways JV

In the other thread, your position is that wins/losses in one season don't have an impact on the next season.
Therefore, learning how to win games will not have an impact in future years. Can't have it both ways JV

The actual Ws and Ls don't matter. The process of getting them does. My stance hasn't changed at all.

Top Bottom