[POST GAME THREAD] - Iowa defeats MINNESOTA 17-10

Hollinsanity

Reaction score
Sorry all, I had a little too much fun in Iowa City and I forgot to start the Post Game Thread.

Although, to be honest, the game was terrible and we are a terrible football team. So is Iowa, so is Nebraska, so is Northwestern.

But my oar is still in the water. Ski U Mah and RTB!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nebby is the only real chance at a win going forward unless NW decides to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. I feeling certain that we saw our last W against Ilinois.

I see wins vs MI, NE, and jNW still. 7-5 and Bowling!

The good news is that even though we are terrible, we still play two terrible trams (Neb and NW) so perhaps we can eek out a 6-6 record to get to a bowl game.

Will 5-7 teams make it this year? Is our APR elite?

Sorry all, I had a little too much fun in Iowa City and I forgot to start the Post Game Thread.

Although, to be honest, the game was terrible and we are a terrible football team. So is Iowa, so is Nebraska, so is Northwestern.

But my oar is still in the water. Ski U Mah and RTB!!

Northwestern clearly is not a terrible football team. I haven't watched Nebraska yet so I don't have an opinion on them even though they appear to be underachieving. I can't say Iowa and Minnesota are "terrible teams" because they both have strengths (mainly defense). The clear difference between Minnesota and Iowa is that Iowa has a legit Big Ten QB. Neither team has a very good set of receivers.

Northwestern clearly is not a terrible football team. I haven't watched Nebraska yet so I don't have an opinion on them even though they appear to be underachieving. I can't say Iowa and Minnesota are "terrible teams" because they both have strengths (mainly defense). The clear difference between Minnesota and Iowa is that Iowa has a legit Big Ten QB. Neither team has a very good set of receivers.

Fair assessment, I may have slightly overreacted.

On the play where Still was targeted in the red zone resulting in an INT, do you guys think he was interfered with before the ball arrived or did the db just out physical him making a play on the ball. Still has to play the ball better there and post his guy up right?

On the play where Still was targeted in the red zone resulting in an INT, do you guys think he was interfered with before the ball arrived or did the db just out physical him making a play on the ball. Still has to play the ball better there and post his guy up right?

Still doesn't have good body control and hasn't ever really competed for a ball. To my eye he hasn't improved at all from his freshman year.

What was even more disappointing was Johnson getting run down on the long pass despite a 5 yard head start.

We have nobody with good speed or the body control ability to win jump balls like a #1 ought to. Our receivers simply didn't make many plays last night. Croft was bad, but his completion percentage could have approached 50%...ok yeah that's still bad but not as catastrophic looking. Nevertheless we need help. Hopefully the croots and Autman-Bell, and the dutch kid are playmakers.

What was even more disappointing was Johnson getting run down on the long pass despite a 5 yard head start.

Yes, that play was a microcosm of our athletic deficiencies. In what was probably the biggest Gopher offensive play of the season, our best receiver couldn't outrun a couple of defenders with a 5 yard lead.

Yes, that play was a microcosm of our athletic deficiencies. In what was probably the biggest Gopher offensive play of the season, our best receiver couldn't outrun a couple of defenders with a 5 yard lead.

Gophies only managed a field goal after that big play. They needed a touchdown.

Overreaction never happen on GopherHole.

Actually it is a serious problem. I get the comment though Don so not trying to undermine you. People clearly need to relax a bit.

The good news is that even though we are terrible, we still play two terrible trams (Neb and NW) so perhaps we can eek out a 6-6 record to get to a bowl game.

Will 5-7 teams make it this year? Is our APR elite?

It was in the Spring...hopefully the collared shirts and sitting up front has maintained it.

I don't think NW is terrible.

Nebraska should be winnable, but it's not like I'll be asking for massive changes if we lose.
Michigan, who knows. Usually we can go into that expecting a 34-10, 42-13, 35-13 type score.

It would be awesome to see the kids pull an upset there next week.

Ultimately, I'd take the next few losses if we could pull a win against Wisconsin.

Actually it is a serious problem. I get the comment though Don so not trying to undermine you. People clearly need to relax a bit.

Drug addiction is a serious problem. Overreacting on a fb message board is the point of a fb message board.

Nothing I saw in the game was as depressing as what I saw checking the in-game thread at halftime.

Yup. In the past few weeks we've seen a 260# LB outrun one of our WRs (Carter); a 230# LB cover our "deep threat" (Still) stride for stride; a 260# TE easily outrun a CB (Harris); and last night, our most athletic WR by far (Johnson) get run down from across the field.

I think both sides of the argument are correct in a way: Fleck and Co probably could've won 1 or 2 more games by playing smashmouth, grind it out football like Kill/Claeys, but they'd be sacrificing the future by not preparing the underclassmen in the long-term system. OTOH, we simply don't have the dynamic athletes right now at the skill positions (and injuries ain't helping) to compete at a very high level. 6-6 or 7-5 was possible with this bunch -- the games have been close enough. But I've resigned myself to not really caring about the difference between 7 wins and 4 or 5 as I hold out hope for 10, 11, or 12 in the near future. And some would say those things are not mutually exclusive, but the coach says they are. He believes in order to install his system, prepare underclassmen for his system, and recruit to his system, he has to actually be running his system now. All we can do is sit back and see.

Yup. In the past few weeks we've seen a 260# LB outrun one of our WRs (Carter); a 230# LB cover our "deep threat" (Still) stride for stride; a 260# TE easily outrun a CB (Harris); and last night, our most athletic WR by far (Johnson) get run down from across the field.

I think both sides of the argument are correct in a way: Fleck and Co probably could've won 1 or 2 more games by playing smashmouth, grind it out football like Kill/Claeys, but they'd be sacrificing the future by not preparing the underclassmen in the long-term system. OTOH, we simply don't have the dynamic athletes right now at the skill positions (and injuries ain't helping) to compete at a very high level. 6-6 or 7-5 was possible with this bunch -- the games have been close enough. But I've resigned myself to not really caring about the difference between 7 wins and 4 or 5 as I hold out hope for 10, 11, or 12 in the near future. And some would say those things are not mutually exclusive, but the coach says they are. He believes in order to install his system, prepare underclassmen for his system, and recruit to his system, he has to actually be running his system now. All we can do is sit back and see.

Thanks for recalling those inglorious on-the-field moments from this season of futility!:) I now realize that it's been even worse than I recalled!

I think you summon up the right words to deal with the present situation: "resigned" and "hope." I'll hold out some hope for those outstanding seasons of the future but right now I'd be extremely satisfied if we manage to get to 7 or 8 wins next year.

Top Bottom