Where are the TE's?

1967 2.0

Banned
Reaction score
Long sideline routes to inadequate Wr's thrown by an inadequate Qb. Thought this OC was supposed to be an upgrade?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Long sideline routes to inadequate Wr's thrown by an inadequate Qb. Thought this OC was supposed to be an upgrade?

Um, our only threat at TE has been hurt for two years. Not arguing with you because I definitely like seeing competent TE's involved in the pas game, but you saw his replacement backpedaling instead of catching a TD pass,...and later falling down at the goalline. He ain't real athletic.

Oh like our athletic Wr's?

Isn’t it odd that we are looking for our tight end and he is 6’8”.
Better than being a 5'10" Wr that can't outrun a linebacker and has boards strapped to his hands.

While I'm not sold on Croft, not really convinced that our OC is up to the challenge of the Big Ten. Seems like we have seen perhaps 6/7 different offensive plays disguised from different sets. And really not a lot of imagination at that. I am sure the standard coach speak, if questioned, would be,we have as much as our kids can absorb. Sorry, go past page 3 in the offensive play book.

While I'm not sold on Croft, not really convinced that our OC is up to the challenge of the Big Ten. Seems like we have seen perhaps 6/7 different offensive plays disguised from different sets. And really not a lot of imagination at that. I am sure the standard coach speak, if questioned, would be,we have as much as our kids can absorb. Sorry, go past page 3 in the offensive play book.
I remember when I thought the jet sweep was cool.

I'm not yet sure if this offense is overloaded with talent and that the only real issue is OC.

They tried some different stuff against Iowa, but you do get the impression of amateurism in the overall offense this year. Defense playing hard, but offense lacks punch, as seen in the red zone tonight. But offense was a problem during the Claeys/Kill era, too, with defense saving the day again and again.

Upgrade at OC... i don't know about that but no upgrade at OC can make up for suddenly no QB.

I saw a 6' 10" TE open on a seam route early in Quarter 1.
Unfortunately, our QB pulled a Rick Ankiel on 4th down and launched the ball into the stands.

I saw a 6' 10" TE open on a seam route early in Quarter 1.
Unfortunately, our QB pulled a Rick Ankiel on 4th down and launched the ball into the stands.

On 4th and goal, I saw the 6' 10" TE slowly side shuffling towards the endzone with hands raised awkwardly to the sky instead of running the damn pass route into the endzone.

Successful pass routes usually require timing. Croft obviously does NOT have a good feel for timing on the basic routes yet. I'm pretty sure expanding the the playbook would just result in crappier passing game execution (if it can possibly get any crappier). On the plus side, I don't know how it could get any worse than the past two games.

I'm not yet sure if this offense is overloaded with talent and that the only real issue is OC.

Overloaded with talent? What team have you been watching?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 4th and goal, I saw the 6' 10" TE slowly side shuffling towards the endzone with hands raised awkwardly to the sky instead of running the damn pass route into the endzone.

Yep. If he did his job even remotely well, we would have had a very different game.

Yep. If he did his job even remotely well, we would have had a very different game.
It was a similar play that we ran successfully vs Purdue or Maryland with Rhoda passing to Lingen. Not sure why Lingen didin't get the target this time?

The previous staff who recruited him almost never targeted him. Why was this not thrown to Lingen?

Only on Gopherhole.

On one hand, people are livid that Fleck didn't run the ball on 4th and inches. He called a pass play, it worked perfectly, we failed to execute.

On the other hand, we use "6/7 different offensive plays disguised as different sets". C'mon.

I said it in the Limegrover days and I'm saying it now, when you do not have a QB - your playbook is limited. Smart coaches do have limited playbooks(disguised by using different sets (see Chip Kelly).

The previous staff who recruited him almost never targeted him. Why was this not thrown to Lingen?

They sure did target him. It was a running joke about how bad his hands were on Gopherhole. How would we know if he wasn't targeted?

As to the why? It's because he is a really good blocker and that makes it more likely that he would be wide open (which he was) on that particular play call.

Just think -in the old days (Warmath, Bierman) players like Maxx Williams completed four years of college. Maxx would have been an all-everything trophy winner his junior and senior years. I'd love to see TE's in our passing game.

Top Bottom